The best BOAT IN camping near
Greyledge , VIRGINIA

146 Reviews

Most Recent Greyledge Camping Reviews
Great facility, whispering pines is far from lake though.

Stayed here in February 2021 at the Whispering Pines camp. Facilities are great, sites are close but not right on top of each other. Camping pads are as expected from state park. Great off-season camping as we shared the whole grounds with only a few other campers.

Only complaints are Whispering Pines is near enough to the main road that you get a lot of road noise, and the walking path to the lake has un-maintained stream crossings, which is probably ok in summer… but not as fun in winter.

Beautiful and wild

Me and my boyfriend stayed here during our road trip through VA, we stayed in late January. It was COLD, but I love a camping challenge. We got there in the dark and had no clue what we were walking into. The bathrooms were compostable toilets, the sites were beautifully maintained. On the way we got a personal call that the campground was quite flooded and they recommended different sites. When we woke up it was beautiful! We saw in the early morning a coyote and a great horned owl. We also saw many types of hawks, song birds, and eastern bluebirds! I was amazed by the sheer amount of wildlife. The cabins on the other hand, were breathtaking. They were absolutely beautiful with amazing views. I felt like I was in the midwest! I will 100% return to this campground to just enjoy the park instead of rushing out!

Beautiful Area

We stayed here 4 days and 3 nights in November. We use a teardrop camper so we appreciated the water and electric hookup (although we disconnected the water at night to prevent freezing). The sites are large but there really aren’t trees between sites although we were on a corner and so had some sense of privacy. The bathrooms were incredibly clean and heated. Showers were terrific as well. Staff were kind and knowledgeable. A stream runs beside the campground and the lake, though small, is nice to paddle around in a kayak. We arrived the day after trout stocking and so there were quite a few fishermen in the stream and on the lake. I caught a few large trout in the stream on a fly but it really was a bit like fishing in a barrel. There are many hiking trails nearby with a variety of difficulty. We chose a couple that provided nice views. I imagine it would be a great place for kids.

Dark Sky Park with Plenty of Amenities

We have stayed here a couple of times and our family loves it! We have stayed in the cabins here and they are awesome. We stayed in the 2 bedroom cabin. It has a beautiful deck with a picnic table and rocking chairs. The park is part of the Dark Sky Parks Association and if you are into astronomy and stars this is the place to stay. They have miles of trails, a playground, marshland, and it is right on the James River with multiple river access points. The rangers here are very interactive and very helpful. We enjoyed a fire making class followed by s'mores on Friday night and then an owl searching hike on Saturday night. We hiked many miles while here and had a great weekend. I highly recommend this park and can't wait to stay here again.

Great time!

Kids had a blast. Great place, lots of fun!

Great Park!

Another great state park! Lots of areas to explore!

Peaceful

We stayed here for 2 nights during the week and it was very quiet and peaceful. The rate for our 22 foot RV with full hookups was unbeatable. AJ, the owner, was great from the day we called to make our reservation to the day we checked out. Our site was up on the ridge close to the road but we could still hear and see the river of the falls from our site. The sound of the water was so soothing. The RV site could be a challenge to get her in and out of if you have a bigger trailer but we did well with our crew can Tundra and 22 footer. We didn't like being right next to the road when we'd first got to the site but soon realized that the road was not well traveled so there was no noticeable road noise and our kids are old enough to understand not to go up to the road. While I didn't personally use the bathhouse one of my fellow travelers did and gave it a 5 star, I'd poop here again, rating. The actual park with the falls was a short trip up the road 1/2 mile and a beautiful hike. We had two dogs plus our kids with us to hike it which was a mistake. Dogs were hard to manage in this trail with two kids as the rocks are slippery and there wasn't a railing on all of the hike for the littles to hold on to, narrow trail. We can't wait to revisit in the summer with hopes to splash in the river.

Absolutely Beautiful!!

This was by far one of the best camping trips ever!! I took my grandkids tent camping and we had a fantastic time. The hiking and lake is amazing. We spent a lot of time at the beach and it was so beautiful plus it has a water playground, a diving dock, trees close by so there is shade on the beach in the afternoon, and a snack shack. You can rent boats too. There are multiple camping areas which include one water side so you can have access to the water with your canoes and kayaks, one for big rigs, one for equestrian, and one for tents and smaller campers. This place is beautiful and quiet. We loved it here!! Make reservations because it books up quick. Also, they have many cabins and they are placed wonderfully on the mountain. We went to the Humpback Bridge and a cool train museum that were close the campground.

Family Fall Camping Trip

We had a great weekend with the whole family! There was a carnival for the kids, trick-or-treating, hiking, tons of bike riding, campfire watching, hammock swinging, laughing, loving, and hanging out! We had a campsite with electric and water close to the bathhouse which is great because we have a popup camper with no bathroom and six kids. There were plenty of decorations for Halloween and the kids had a super time. Great for families. There are also a couple of playgrounds, two bouncy pads, basketball court, and gaga ball. During peak season there is also a water play area with a waterslide and mini golf. It is located on the James River. We had a great time.

Had necessary things without fire pit. 0

Perfect off rt 81.. near everything and in the yr of Covid… respectful, clean and able to direct us to places. Thanks