Accomac, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Accomac Camping Reviews
Dont know

I'll do my best

Nice, close to the beach and wildlife

At the 2 camping loops, Each site has a table and fire ring. Sites are level and have a paved area. Easy to back into. Not much as far as privacy and the bathrooms are pretty basic.

Beautiful, quiet, clean.

roads around the whole campground are well laid out. Easy to maneuver around and into camp sites. Super clean bathrooms.

Great cabins & best baths house ever!

We stayed in cabin 33 - which faces the river. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Cabins have eclectic, heat, beds, and some have AC (though not #32 & 33).

We enjoyed walked by the water, hiking the 3.5 mile loop, and the proximity to Assateague Island (40 min drive - great for a day trip!)

Truly the best bathhouse we’ve ever seen at a campground! Not only clean - but modern and new. The bathhouse area also has a great dishwashing station (with garbage disposal!)

The campground is fairly open (very little density of trees) and the sites close together. Even though the campground is small - it felt crowded even only 1/3-1/2 full. The cabin mitigated some of the noise and crowd, but I would be reluctant to tent camp here on a weekend or in any site on a holiday weekend.

While we were there in April, it was obvious this swampy area must be FULL of bugs in summer. So we’ll definitely keep our visits to spring and fall!

A Breathtaking Exerperience

Camping here for a week was incredible for many reasons. The gorgeous ponies and an abundance of wildlife were amazing. Being able to walk right over to the ocean was also amazing. What I wasn't expecting was the hordes of mosquitoes. Definitely be prepared with lots of Off and citronella candles. The last night I moved to the ocean side and it was much better. I went in June, so I'm not sure if they are always so bad. The bayside provides more interaction with the ponies and wildlife. Which can be worth the mosquitos. Just don't leave food in your tent. The first morning I woke up to a pony eating a loaf of bread and a huge hole in my tent.

Like a camping community

Spots are close together so you will get to meet your neighbors if they are there. You can rent yearly spots if you want. Some spots back up against the water. It has a pier, pond, river access, ice cream shop/store, cafe. There aren’t a lot of trails to bike but it does have putt putt, a playground, outdoor pool, indoor hot tub(not functional while we were there).

Mediocre Camping

Small and crowded pool; campground layout is very basic and not aesthetically appealing (almost like an open field with a few trees scattered throughout to provide shade); nice camp store; not too many amenities to brag about.

Not related to the campground, but mosquitos in this area are absolutely ridiculous. Make sure you are covered in repellant before you arrive because otherwise, as soon as you open car doors, you are COVERED in mosquitos. The town sprays daily, but the solution obviously doesn't provide sustained relief.

Great sites right on the ocean!

This campground has great sites that are right on the ocean with wildlife all around!

Loved this campground!!

Great campsite! Lots of water access, crabbing and hiking areas!!

Easy to get to

Located right off the roadway it's a great place to stop when heading South. Have a handful of shaded pull through sites close to the entrance to make getting in and out easy, especially if you like to leave early to get back on the road. Gated access, playground, mini golf, beautiful lake and lots of family activities on the calendar. It's now our go to spot for an overnight stay when traveling from NY to NC.

Love this park. Some sites are trees some are not. Friendly camp host.

Fishing pier. Boat launch ,boat and kayak rental. The bay is beautiful here. Dog beach.

awesome beach camping

Be prepared and you will have a great time, the horses are not shy and will be all up in your space if they like what they smell. Great place to have a bonfire by the water and if you go around late summer you can have the place all to your self.

Great location and amenities

Lots to do on site: waterpark, mini golf, kayaking, playground, pool, activities. Shuttle to Ocean City, MD was convenient and general store was close by and stocked well! Sites are a little close together, especially if you have an RV but great 1st time experience with our kids at a young age!

Family friendly

This campground is very family friendly. There is so much to do. If you do go make sure you go for a week so you can try to do it all. Very calm and and relaxing.

Lots to do!!

Great place!!! Spent a long weekend and enjoyed it!! The close proximity to Cape Charles made this place stand out for me!! But rest assured that if you don’t want to leave the campground there is no need too!!

Wholesome.!

I grew up going here, I am 30 now and can not wait to go again! The cherry stone clam bakes are awesome also! I have been at all diff seasons!

Friendly, helpful and beautiful.

We are enjoying our winterize trip now and have made reservations for 4 weeks next year already. April clam roast will kick off the 2019 season. Might be before that if I get to antsy with cabin fever.

Amazing Beach Camping (but a little pricey)

There is only one campground in then Assateague park and it's right on the beach. Get ready to get sand everywhere. Be sure to check the forecast before you go because if it gets windy you'll be sure to feel it. I visited in later October and there were very few campers but I imagine the campground fills up in warmer months. The park is small to there are just a few one-way roads leading in and out.

The campground was two loops with drive-in sites as well as walk-in sites that are more removed from the road. There are also cold water showers to help with some of the aforementioned sand.

You'll surely see at least a few ponies on your visit as well as other great wildlife. If you have the time I highly recommend taking the drive over to the Chincoteague side (about an hour) and exploring there. I rented a bike from the Bike Depot and rode it into Chincoteague for a few hours.

Camping on the beach

Great coastal camping experience

Visited in late October on a last minute weekend trip. Had no issues finding a campsite upon arrival, luckily. The staff was super friendly and helpful in picking a site for us. We decided to stay ocean side and was just over the summer dune from the water. Lot had fire ring and table. Set up our tent in the flattest spot we could find. Neighbors next to us had five tents and seven people. There also were quite a few RVs that ran their generators long into the evening. We brought our dogs, and rangers said they were allowed at any campsites but told us where they were restricted. It was really awesome to be able to camp that close to the ocean. The quiet hours were pretty well followed, which allowed us to hear the Sika dear bugle late in the night. The showers and bathroom had much to be desired, but for being on the coast it was nice to have them. No sink near them but there was two faucets (one was locked off, not sure if the other). It got super windy over night, which caused issues to some of the campers at other sites. The check out time was pretty strictly checked up on. Overall we would love to go back and take our bikes to ride the trail. Neat experience and would completely recommend to others.

Super clean! Great R&R!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the week I spent here. The campground is well-maintained. Everything I needed was here. The relaxing Hammocks and watching the sunset provided much-needed rest and relaxation.

Close to everything

Very nice, as all Virginia State Parks are, but crowded, noisy, and lit up like an amusement park. Not a place to “get back to nature” but a place to camp, meet new people, and a place to stay for the great activities the park has to offer and visit Cape Charles.

Wouldn’t go back

Even for a KOA, this was bad. The sites were way too close together. The bathroom/shower house was filthy. When we told the people in the office about the problem they said they couldn’t do anything till the next day. The guy at the site across the road had a pit bull off lead. Security said they would watch him in case he got aggressive. (When it would be too late!)

Peaceful and up close and personal with the horses!

Adventurous, in that you'll get a first-hand glimpse of the horses, as they are aggressive! Very nice Visitors Center where you could request a ranger badge for the little ones. Would recommend visiting in late summer, early fall to avoid the crowds.

Great up close and personal tour of the water and horses!

The park is really good for adventure seekers. The horses aren't afraid to come up close and personal! Would recommend visiting in late summer, early fall to avoid the crowds.

Nice campground and beautiful beach!

We stayed at this State Park campground for 1 night. The tent sites are decent, shaded by pine trees and on a sandy terrain. There’s a water spigot but no electricity. The RV sites (where my friends stayed) are not very nice, the RVs are parked very close to each other and there’s no trees for shade or to hang an hammock. The bathouse is ok. It was warm when we went so they had the AC running. I've seen cleaner bathouses but it was overall fine. The park offers hiking and biking trails, but the main attraction is the beautiful beach on the Chesapeake Bay. You can rent a kayak or fish from the pier.

Clean, fun, natural, and the beach!

LOVED this campground and we are dying to go back. Camp ground is flat and sandy without many trees around, but everyone was so friendly and it looks like there are a lot of people who come back year after year.

All that separates you from the beach is a large sand dune that you camp behind. Nice bathrooms and showers, clean and well maintained.

Also- there are native horses that live on the island and will come by and eat your food right off your plate. A really cool experience!

Make sure you get some blue crab as well!

Nature at its Finest

Plenty of places to explore. Several trails to walk or bike. Be prepared for the bugs depending on the season. Some years we've had no issues, some years the flies were bad. The mosquitos are kept at bay with bug spray are citronella candles. The closer to the ocean the better you are. Definitely bring a canopy as obviously there is no shade Oceanside. The Ponies are giant trash pandas. They're smart and can open latches so do bring bungee cords, kayak straps, or ratchet straps to lock all of your food in cases or coolers. Check out the awesome views on the bayside trails. There is an app you can use to identify the ponies. The showers are cold but at least there is running water. Bathrooms are mostly clean and just a short walk from most campsites. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. After dusk you can do beach fires as long as they're below the high tide line so they wash out.

Family Campground near the beach

My kids and I stayed here for several weeks. We met lots of people and had a great time!

Great beach camping

Campground has hot water at bathhouses. Loops are filled with lots of campers and lots of generators