Yurts
Contact
Lone Rock Beach Primitive Camping is located in Utah
36 Reviews of Lone Rock Beach Primitive Camping
Beach camping

I've been coming to lone rock beach for years, its a good inbetween spot coming from canyonlands, monument valley and heading to Zion.    It is dispersed primitive camping and there are no trees so bring umbrellas and easy ups to protect yourself from the sun.   I do not recommend you camp at the beach if its windy unless your in any rv.   Be very careful where you drive it is sand and can swallow your car pretty easily, if you think your getting stuck stop immediately and dig out your tires.   Keep in mind if you are coming here on the weekend or holidays it gets very crowded and is known to the locals as party beach.

There is water available and a dump station.   The water gets shut off in the winter months.   There is also vault toilets available.

It costs $30.00 entry fee and $14.00 to camp.   If you have an annual national park pass the entry fee is free.

Beach Camping

First-time beach camping and loved it. I arrived at Lone Rock Beach Campground early in the evening after viewing the sunset at Horseshoe Bend. It was already dark, so driving there at night wasn't ideal as I drive over soft sand. Luckily, I have an SUV and a four-wheel drive. There are no designated sites as it is a primitive campground. Many of the larger RVs are parked along the shore with their noisy generators. I found a little spot next to the shore and was able to pitch my tent. There are no picnic tables or fire pits, but you may have an open fire within a four-foot square area.

This campground does get very crowded. There are many boat ramps along the Glen Canyon Recreational Area, so water activities are very popular. However, there are no lifeguards on duty, so go in the water at your own risk. It didn't click to me why this place was called Lone Rock Beach Campground until sunrise when I actually saw a lone rock right in front of where I camped. It was an "AHA" moment. The weather was perfect the next day, as to suppose to the rain that added to the difficulty of getting to the shore.

There were showers, toilets, and dump stations for campers to use. Pets are allowed. Page, AZ is about 15 minutes away if you needed to get supplies as there is no camp store nearby. The fee is free to get in if you have the America the Beautiful Pass but $14 dollars to camp there. It is a great location to camp out especially if you're visiting Zion NP, Antelope Canyon, Page, Glen Canyon, and Horseshoe Bend.

One for the books!

We lucked out with perfect weather! Drove in on my Mazda CX-5 got stuck more toward the far end while trying to scope out the whole area. I was able to easily dig out some sand and head back to the middle area. Parked the car about 120 feet from the water. Without issue. Unfortunately we were side by side with other campers but all friendly and no issues. Overnight camping permits cost $14 +. $30 entrance fee BUT if you have your national park annual pass entry is free:) 15 minutes from horseshoe bend and 1 hour from Zion. Gas up before heading to Zion when heading west the nearest gas station is 50 miles away! This beach is also doggie friendly

Not terrible!

It was very windy! Our tents kept trying to fly away. We were a little further from the beach because my Toyota Camry could not get through the sand since closer to the beach it was deep sand. Overall not bad. Beautiful views. It was very hot in the morning and my friend and I would wake up sweating so be prepared for that! They have a cold shower to get sand off but at the resort which is very close they have 15 minute showers for $2. No cell service really and no WiFi available except for at the resort. It was the cheapest in the area though at $14 a night!

Best beach camping

Dispersed camping along the beach of Lake Powell. Price when the entry is manned is $44 ($30 day use plus $14 camping fee). Camp anywhere along the beach, but be cautious of getting stuck in the sand, and bring some recovery gear. Flushable pit toilets are available, but you may end up pretty far away from them. Watch out for wind storms, as they come up quickly and will turn tents, awnings, and sun shades into pretzles.

All Fun and Games until..

The dispersed layout is awesome, but has almost zero cover for any tent campers. Especially if youd like to camp next to the lake, which is the basic appeal of being there. Also beware of sand. Saw a car up past the door in a dune, stuck.

The views are great, the water is extremely nice, and the vault toilets are good and plenty in number.

The weather can be unpredictable. Things were going great until 40+ mph winds came through in a snap and lasted all night. We were blasted by sand and wind, then came rain for hours, and temps dropping fast and into low 40's. Piles of sand in the tent, sleeping bags, and every orafice of our bodies. It was brutal. Sunshade poles were bent into multiple U shapes and ruined. Tent held strong, but we did not. Saw clouds building on horizon the same as it had the day prior and we decided to make our escape quickly. The weather that day had a 20% chance of precipitation and no mention of high winds. So again, beware.

If perfect weather, things could have be totally different- But really when is that ever the case?

Right on the Water

We spent the day touring Antelope Canyon nearby and had a long drive ahead the next day. We had no plans to stay anywhere, so we pulled down to Lone Rock Beach campground.

There are lots of dispersed camp spots in the dunes and bushes along the road down to the water. There is also a typical state park type bathroom. You can drive along the beach in the hard pack and camp wherever you want though. We drove the van right up to the water. There were a couple strange toilets, think double metal portable units with a large base and stairs. If you were disabled, it would be wise to camp closer to the the bathroom building. These were a steep couple steps up, and no light. Bring your own.

It was raining when we arrived. The next morning dawned beautiful and warm so we were able to appreciate the splendor of the canyon. I hear summer and weekends can be a crazy paty zone, but here in April, it was quiet and nice.

Awesome primitive camping

The campground is right on lake powell and there are no reservations so be sure to get there early for a good spot. Camping is in the sand, but it is pretty hard, if you are planning on sleeping on the ground. The bathrooms are actually pretty nice and well maintained for a primitive site

Big, open lakefront space with nothing but the basics

This campground is part of Glen Canyon National rec area. It costs $14 (even in the off-season, apparently). Not sure it's worth that given that in the winter all but a few of the vault toilets are closed, but it's a nice, open space with a pleasant view of the lake and "Lone Rock". You can build a campfire right on the beach, and while we were here (early March) it was very uncrowded--just a few other campers spread out in the vast, open space. We have a 2wd and it did fine on the sand, just don't go careening off the edge of the drop-off into deeper sand unless you are confident your vehicle can handle it. Only about 20 minutes from Page, so convenient if you're looking to stay in the area for a day or so.

Lot to do!

Dry camping next to Lake Powell. Boating,fishing and rzr riding.