Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Dogwood Day Use

Dogwood Day Use Picnic Area is just 2 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon, conveniently close to Salt Lake City. Big Cottonwood Creek runs alongside the site. Visitors enjoy fishing, hiking and biking. Natural Features: In late spring, dogwoods and lilacs bloom throughout the day-use area, creating a spectacular show among the greenery and shade of the pines, aspens and scrub oak. Summer wildflowers paint the canyon with vivid color beginning in late July. Autumn leaves put on quite a show in late September. Recreation: Big Cottonwood Creek is stocked for trout fishing and is a favorite among local fly-fisherman. Additionally, many hiking and mountain biking trailheads are located in the canyon. Facilities: Dogwood offers several group picnic sites, all with tables, campfire rings and grills. Flush toilets are provided and parking spurs and pathways within the area are paved. Nearby Attractions: Big Cottonwood Canyon is a beautiful area known for its soaring peaks, pristine hidden lakes and cascading streams. Numerous hiking and mountain biking trails are in the area. Rock climbing is a popular activity as well. Solitude Mountain Resort is 11.5 miles up-canyon, offering scenic chairlift rides, hiking, a few dining options and a challenging 18-hole disc golf course.

USDA Forest Service
Dogwood Day Use is located in Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest in Utah
Directions
Take exit 301 off I-15. Turn east and travel 6 miles on 7200 South to the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Travel 2 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon to picnic area.
5 Reviews of Dogwood Day Use
Beware of the Bull Moose!

Stayed here for 1 night.  We were up early, at the crack of dawn.  As we prepared to break down the tent, a HUGE bull moose wandered out of the woods, looked around, then walked by my camping spot & the one right next to mine.  I was sitting in my car, putting my sleeping bag inside, so my photo did not come out very well.

The camp site was amazing!  Slept very soundly.  They sky at night was amazing!

Photos forthcoming!

Another Wasatch gem

Product review posted with day use review! The day use are is fun for lunch or picnic, we came here just for a hike and a bite too eat. Easy trails around with some harder ones if you want to explore. Very short drive up, and very worth it.

Product review: As a ranger for the Dyrt, we get to have test certain outdoor products. And this time while camping and hiking in the Wasatch mountain range, we were able to review https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/scrambler-black we absolutely love this company now, for starters, we ordered 3 hats from them. Someone stole the package from our porch, or the delivery company misplaced it. Either way, banner and oak replaced it, we felt very taken care of when we had an immediate response. For starters the rockhopper trucker hat is authentic, it’s just not for us. I love the actual feel of the cloth as liner, but it really just fits my head weird. 3/5 on that one, solely for it not fitting right any almost 30$ for a trucker hat.. we hate to do it. Next we have the classic strap back trailhead hat. For 15$ it’s perfect, you can’t ask for too much with a flat bill strapback but it’s there to deliver. Comfortable fit, easy on the wallet. We’d buy it again. Now here is the most amazing hat you’ll wear. Ever wonder why those road bicycle guys never look too sweaty in their hats, but they just look geeky. Banner and oak found a way to fit in the very small window of comfortable and not geeky. It breathes amazing, it’s comfy, even the plastic in the back it’s made better, you can get it wet, it drys. It looks good. It’s my favorite hat now. Hike with it, walk with it, fly with it, bike with it, it’s the hat you need. For 29$ it’s the last hat you’ll want to buy. I’m talking about the scrambler. Get it.

Awesome Outdoor Adventure Stop

Around Dogwood, there are so many amazing outdoor activities. You can stop in Dogwood for a relaxing lunch or picnic in between climbing the multiple routes only a 5 minute walk from the grounds, hiking the trails scattered throughout the canyon, or even fishing in the cold stream running the perimeter of the grounds. Dogwood is well taken care of and in a great central location to many activities.

Best in the winter

Honestly wouldnt even consider this place inthe summer because it gets so hot here. Maybe only during a really busy weekend or a holiday. This place, however, shines in the winter time. It has nice bathrooms with a view and large picnic areas and some parking.

Nearby is also a great place to take beginner climbers as most routes on the westt end of the crag are toprope approachable. There are also harder climbs to the east including a 13a

Better Options Are Available

This place has a good amount of reservation spots, but it isn't far enough up the canyon to benefit from the best part of Big Cottonwood Canyon's beauty. I'd avoid this one and spend your money and effort on something else a little further up the canyon.