Equestrian
$15.00 - $25.00
Hike In
Davis Mountains State Park is located in Texas
28 Reviews of Davis Mountains State Park
Everything I wanted and more!

Oh were to start…this place has everything! Let's start with accommodations. They have primitive, primitive equestrian, water only, water and electric, full-hookups, Indian lodge and a historic motel on site. We went with my in-laws and they have an RV and my husband and I chose to tent camp at a water-only site. My in-laws brought their little dogs and it was very dog friendly here. The camp facilities were very nice. Bathrooms and showers clean and easily accessible from camp sites. Sited weren't overly crowded and there was a lot of shade and nice views.

Wonderful hiking trails! Every trail had a different view and variety of difficulty. Most trails no longer than 2 miles, but the views over the mountains were exceptional. I think my husband and I walked every trail we could find in the short time we were there and not a single one was disappointing. The wildlife and nature was exotic and something very rare within the Texas borders. Bird watching is a big thing here, not my thing, but it was still awesome to see! It is also a very equestrian friendly park as well. We saw a lot of people horseback riding the trails.

Fort Davis historic site is an awesome piece of history. They have so much education on the Fort Davis military post and it is a really cool experience. While we were there they were putting on shows in the amphitheater. Lots to learn about american history.

12 miles down the road is the McDonald Observatory which is a must see! I am a space girl. I studied astrophysics in college and it is a huge passion of mine. The McDonald observatory is one of the most education, breathtaking places. Perfect for everyone to learn about the skies and see things you've never seen before. Please take your kids here for an experience of a lifetime and check ahead for events going on.

My favorite moment at this park was just laying in the hammock under the stars with my hubby listening to the beautiful music nature delivers. I hope to go back again to enjoy more wonderful moments!

A cool green escape from the west Texas heat

Its in an amazing location, near Balmorhea, Big Bend, Marfa and Alpine. Its full of wild life and if your into bird watching its an incredible place to go with two indoor/outdoor viewing areas.The staff is wonderful with lots of outdoor and naturalist programs. the Davis Observatory is right up the hill. There are tons of hiking trails and lots of great terrain. Its a zero light pollution zone so bring your telescope or go to the observatory for a star party.I honestly cant say enough about this park its one of my favorites (which also makes me want to delete this review).

A peaceful west Texas escape with relatively cooler summer temps

I did not spend too much time here, as it was a stop to camp in the final stretch of a drive from New Mexico to Houston. I was pleasantly surprised to see clean bathroom facilities, less heat, wild deer, etc.

Spacious, gorgeous landscape

Lots of diverse trails so you don’t get bored being there for a few days. Lots to explore both in and around the park. Dog-friendly, spacious campsites, incredible stargazing. Showers close to campsites, an added bonus when camping for 5+ days.

Great Home Base

Davis Mountains State Park is a great home base to explore the area. We like to visit McDonald Observatory and the Fort Davis National Monument while we are there.

There are several campsites, some with water only, water and electric, and one that also has sewer. Some are tight for larger RV's and the sites are pretty close together.

The Indian Lodge is also on site, I have not stayed there before but do know they are working on renovating it.

The park scenery is lovely. You'll see wildlife (javelinas seem to check out the campsites at dusk) and the bird blind is fantastic. I only give it four stars because the hiking and biking trails are not as good as other parks we've been to. The Old CCC trail up to the lookout is a must though.

Short drive

Closest campgrounds to El Paso Texas in Texas with a forest

Comfy enough

Nice sites with enough room between sites so you are not on top of other campers. Plenty of trees for shade, picnic tables and the bathrooms were clean, well kept and well stocked.

We didn't spend long here but would have enjoyed checking out a few of the trails they offered or checking out the stream a bit more to see if it was fishable.

Right down my alley.

Has multiple things to enjoy.

Davis Mountains State Park + Historic Fort Davis + McDonald Observatory

The Davis Mountains State Park is an excellent park to visit for the whole family. The park and campsites are family friendly with bathrooms with toilets, sinks and showers. If tent camping is not your thing, there is a historic hotel within the park called the Indian Lodge. There are a number of campsites that run along a dry ravine that is lined with trees. The trees are great for shade and to hang hammocks. Be sure to bring 2" tree hunger straps because it is now required in all Texas State Parks. There is a little interpretive information and education center with displays about the local flora and fauna. There are a number of trails that start from the campground. If you arrive late in the day, but before the sun goes down, drive up the road to the top of the Skyline Drive Trail to catch the sunset. In the morning, hike up the Montezuma Qual Trail to see the sunrise over the nearby mountains. The Fort Davis Historic Site is close by the park and one can actually hike about 6 miles from the park to the historic site over a small mountain. Not far from the park is the University of Texas McDonald Observatory. They have Star Parties regularly which includes talks by astronomers and viewing of stars through large and powerful telescopes. The town of Ft Davis is nearby in case you need to resupply with food, drinks or other items. The town of Ft. Davis has a wonderful Fourth of July parade and celebration.

Davis Mountain

High elevation with rocky cliffs, big fields, a fort, and lots of Native history.

Yay: Wide open campground with huge spots, but no shade or privacy. Thankfully they have water here!

Nay: no complaints :)

Surprise: Loved the ranger programs. They had crafts for kids about Native Americans. Great stargazing. Make sure to hike the namesake peak. Amazing critters!