The best EQUESTRIAN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent South Sulphur Camping Reviews
Beautiful, well preserved campground

This park was beautiful. We stayed at campsite 8 in the bright star loop and it was one of the best campsites I've stayed in. It was spacious and felt very private even though we knew there were other campsites close by. The site was also pretty level. We only stayed one night because we were just traveling through, but I will definitely return. The firewood for purchase at the front of the park was very convenient, but a bit pricey. We got in fairly late though so we were grateful for it. There is also a nice hiking trail that was very well maintained. All in all, we greatly enjoyed our short time at Cooper Lake State Park.

Needs new roads

View was great and camp hosts were very friendly but the roads are horrible! The sites weren’t bad and ours was pretty level. The location is nice on the lake with lots of sail boats sailing by. There is plenty of space between sites, but no trees so not a lot of privacy. Probably wouldn’t stay again.

Great for something close by

Nothing to knock you socks off, but it’s a great campsite close to home and nice for a quick getaway. Has the feel of being somewhat remote since it’s out by the lake.

We’ve camped in the site with the horse stables and put the tents with questionable rain flys in the horse stable.

Run down

It must have been nice at some point but it's obvious budget cuts and other priorities have taken its toll. Bad roads into and thru the park, grass in bad need of cutting, garbage (glass bottles and dirty diapers) on the "beach".

Sites are fairly well dispersed with water and electric at each. Be careful though, because the asphalt is crumbling and man u have ankle-breaking drop offs between the parking pad and the picnic table.

Oak Grove Camping

We camped at Oak grove 97 campsite and cannot stress on how beautiful it is to be right by the lake!

You want to get make sure to get there before the sunset, it’s beautiful to see the orange layer over the water. Nothing better than kayaking/paddle boarding or tubing into the sunset.

You can also setup a hammock and you will need extenders.

Something I’d keep in mind is the food you carry (avoid the sweet sugary stuff), there are ants all around and food will attract them towards you.

I definitely recommend this spot to camp.

Reasonably priced and located, but needs some maintenance

RV sites have water and 50/30 amp electric and there are 12 tent sites. We had a nice view of Lake Lavon. Grills and tables vary by site, some are very old, but many have been replaced. There are trees- some large enough to provide some shade if desired, but most small enough to allow satellite reception. The sites are well spaced and are"mostly" paved with aging asphalt. The roads are in need of repair, with numerous potholes, some very large, but the attendant did say that the park was on the CoEs list for repairs. There is a dump station just outside the entrance. The entry gate is locked from 10PM to 6AM, so plan accordingly if leaving the park, lest you park outside and walk back to your site. Overall, this is a good value, and one of the few non-RV park options in the greater Dallas area.

Nice clean park not to far from Dallas..

We really enjoyed the park it is pretty wide and spread out on lake cooper. We stayed in the Brightstar area of the park and had a great time. The bathrooms were very clean and in good working order. Was a great getaway not to far outside of Dallas TX. We will come back for sure. Has a beach area for swimming in warmer weather and a dock and boat ramp if you take your boat.

Shaded lakeside camping in Deer Haven

The South Sulphur campground is about half an hour north of Interstate 30. It’s under a 2 hour drive from the DFW area so, I find it’s a nice weekend getaway. I camped here on a Sunday to Monday and it was very quiet. I was one of only 5 campers in the Deer Haven section (aside from the 3 camp hosts). I’m giving the park 5 stars but this is based on my experience of having camped here when there were few campers around. I image this place could be loud and busy on a weekend.

There are many shaded lakeside sites in the Deer Haven section. I stayed at site 68. The site was on a cul de sac so there was no campground to the one side. However, the site located on the other side was close. This would be a great spot for 2 camping families to share. The concrete pad at site 68 was level and shaded by a beautiful, mature oak tree. I could walk from the pad to the lake. It would be a great site to put out a kayak, but unfortunately the weather didn’t cooperate on my stay. So I didn’t get to kayak. I did see deer who ventured in from the wooded area next to the campsite.  Deer Haven lived up to its name!

Electric and water hookups were good as were the restroom/shower facilities, which seemed climate controlled because it felt cooler and less humid inside than outside. This usually isn’t the case in these buildings.

A big storm blew in around dinner time. The wind was fierce and blowing out of the north across the almost 20,000 acre lake! I actually called the ranger to find out if I needed to evacuate. The ranger was very responsive and reassuring. Luckily, there were no tornados warnings, so I weathered out the storm and woke to a beautiful crisp morning.

This park is huge and there is much to do. Cabins, shelters, primitive walk in sites, equine sites, a beach, several boat ramps, hiking trails, playgrounds and a fishing pier. I didn’t get to see a fraction of it, but I’ll be returning.

I stopped in the town of Sulphur Springs on my way back to DFW. The town has a nice historic town square and makes for an interesting side stop.

Nice Park on Lake Lavon

Enjoyed a night here. Nice, clean, open RV park on Lake Lavon. It’s well established but in good shape. Big level RV sites with grills and covered tables. You’ll enjoy this park!

Nice South East Texas Park!

Quite,shaded, level concrete RV sites with water and electricity! Each site has a covered table. Nice swim beach, boat ramp. Great hiking trails! This park is great for kayaking & fishing! If you stay here , you should drive in downtown Sulphur Spring’s , lots of restaurants and they have 2 public bathrooms in the square that are made with 2way mirrors! So when you are in the bathroom you can see out, but everyone walking by can’t see you! Kinda creepy and cool!