About Edgar Evins State Park

Hike In
Edgar Evins State Park is located in Tennessee
29 Reviews of Edgar Evins State Park
All the Water Views

Almost all of their sites have a view of the lake. Tent sites give just enough space for seclusion and everyone sites are on elevated platforms. Plenty of bathhouse access and if you like to paddle the candy is close by too.

Camping

Campgrounds were clean and spaced out welll, every camp site has its own square to prevent sleeping on top of one another. Campsites are right near the lake with plenty of hiking trails !

Very interesting park

First time camping in our camper, on platforms. Loved it! Very informative pontoon boat tour with a Park Ranger. Great lunch at the marina too!

Scenic, Peaceful, and a Totally Difference Experience!

I'm from New England and relocated to Tennessee in 2016. The first time I went camping at Edgar Evans, I had no idea what was going on! All I saw was platforms, and what I considered 'normal' camping sites were labeled 'primitive' sites. I was in total awe. I didn't know how it was going to work with a tent, but my boyfriend showed me that all you need to do is bring nails to hammer down and secure your tent to the wooden platform. Where as I was at first turned off by the platform, there are a few pluses:

-It rains A LOT in Tennessee. When I used to camp up north, we got flooded out during heavy rains, as we were camping directly on the ground. The platform keeps you elevated, so digging a trench around your tent is a non-issue.

-If you get a waterfront site (HIGHLY recommended), the views are gorgeous. I'd say go for the sites in the lower 40s - they're super close to a bathhouse and a few paths that will bring you down to the edge of some gorgeous cliffs, giving you the best view in the site. If you go in the other direction, you'll be looking at a community of house boats, which kinda blew my mind, as clusters of houseboats aren't really a thing up north, either.

-You can comfortably fit two tents on a platform; three is pushing it, but we've seen people pack around four in (which I don't think you're actually supposed to do).

-Something else I've noticed in TN - virtually all camping takes place at State Parks, and Edgar Evans is one of the few that actually offers wooden platforms and primitive sites. Most of them offer concrete platforms for RVs and smaller trailers, making it difficult to camp with a tent.

The sites in the lower 40s also offer more level ground for the fire pits. Some sites have a really steep drop off, which make it difficult to place chairs and sit and relax without being a little wobbly.

There's also a pretty big trail system to explore, and it seems like you might need to set aside an entire day to do the loop in its entirety - we're still planning on doing that! I find that I get more immersed in relaxation mode when I'm there instead of active hiking mode - taking a chair down to the cliffs and sitting by the water with a book makes for some beautiful downtime!

All of this being said, this is our favorite spot! We've come here at least twice, if not three times a year since I've moved down here. The staff is friendly and helpful, the campers are friendly, and there's usually lots of adorable dogs around to pet lol! Definitely love this place!

Decked out...

Edgar Evins State Park off I40 exit 268, 4.8 miles to the park entrance.

As soon as you enter the park you start driving up. The campground starts at the top of the hill and the sites are decks! Pro- you are tree top level and pretty good on privacy with trees in between sites. Con- your fire pit is obviously not on the wood deck so it’s a walk back and forth if you don’t have alternative cooking methods.

Next something to consider if you are not proficient in backing your camper this may not be the first campsite you wanna practice at. Some of these sites you are backing uphill, up a ramp onto the deck, little tense.

Another pro- unless it’s Predator they can only come at you from one direction…..( zombies and such. Lol) Con - your either walking downhill or uphill to get to the shower house , that being said there are stairs and trails to take to the shower house.

I did not stay in the primitive site area but did check out the area. #5 looked like it could support a Tentsile Tree Tent. There was a water point in that area and the sites were spaced out pretty good.

The main attraction at Edgar is the water, the rather large Marina is directly across from the lowest site level. Take your fishing pole and water craft with you ;) There are trails that are hiker and biker friendly with some nice scenery. Near the front gate is the Caney Fork Outdoors and Big Rock Market.

Good Campground, on water

Pretty campground on water. Even though it's a mostly RV type place there are some good tent sites and it's a pretty remote quiet place. Very good bathrooms and showers.

Ok site, camping pads horrible

Nice lake, but poor camping. Most sites were on elevated wood pads, walk in sites had gravel pads. The gravel on the walk in pads was huge and pretty much requires a blow up mattress

Camp on a Ramp

It is the weirdest idea of camping I've ever seen. Each campsite was a ramp overlook, quite a pretty view, but people were all crowded with their tents on this wooden ramp. The fire pit was elsewhere. It was not for us, so we left.

Ranger Review: Boost Oxygen at Edgar Evins State Park

Campground review:Edgar Evins State Park is easy to find right outside Silver Point, Tn. About 10 minutes from I40. An hour west to Nashville and you are in the big city again.

My first time to Edgar and I LIKE IT! I will be back. It was easy to find everything due to the frequent signs pointing the way.

The campground is unique and in some cases, if your pulling/parking an RV , Challenging! First campground I've ever been to that you park on a deck.

The sites are tiered and you will get a workout if your walking from one level to the next, which if you need the showerhouse , you will be on certain tiers. :)

A very clean. Well kept showerhouse and there is a laundry near the primitive parking area.

Only thing that I didn't care for was the need for the fire pit to be off your footprint( obvious why) and the lakeside sites surprisingly did not have east access to the lake. ( okay two things)

The 6 marked trails were easy to find and moderate/strenuous. Plenty of water for your hobby needs and two boat ramps and a marina.

Product Review:

As a Dyrt Ranger I've had the opportunity to test products while enjoying various parks. Today I tested/tried BOOST OXYGEN.

Now, being me I have to say getting a box of canned air made me chuckle. I get the concept of Boost Oxygen and have read the data. I am an athlete of sorts because I trail run. However I fall far short of the elite athletes you see on television sucking down oxygen on the sidelines of professional sports.

That being said I was surprised by the results after puffing up one of the extended hills here at the park. (Perfect place for a test) there was no, slow down at the top to catch my breath and then pick back up after I could breath again. I took a few long slow breaths from the Boost Oxygen and trucked right on.

Now, if your outta shape this isn't the end all be all, lol. But I can see where it would be useful on the trail. I'm carrying it along on my next trail race to see how portable it is, the weight is not a problem, but I have the full size bottle. Boost Oxygen comes in a smaller size, I didn't think to get one. I am going to continue to test it as the weather gets hotter to see how much it helps in humidity.

One con for me is I wish the cans were refillable, maybe something for the future. At least recycle them to cut down on waste.

Otherwise, if you are in need of a "boost" on the trail or as you compete in whatever sport Boost Oxygen would be a definite option to help optimize your performance.