About Edgar Evins State Park

Hike In
Edgar Evins State Park is located in Tennessee
29 Reviews of Edgar Evins State Park
Great Campground

The TN website was down so I was unable to book a site ahead of time and calling I found out the store closes at 4. Not a problem, they said pick a site without a res and pay in the morning. Beautiful view of the lake but werid to be a tent camper with the nice decks. I pick a site with a spot of dirt on the side. Plan ahead, I didn't consider that I couldn't buy firewood after arriving and there was little to choose from in the woods also I may go for the very nice primative sites in the future. You have to walk in but no one was there this trip. I didn't even know they were there until I took a walk the next morning.

Awesome Platforms that overlook Center Hill Lake

This is one of our favorite places. Great engineering to make the platforms hang off the slde of cliffs. This place is very quiet, VERY clean one of the top places near Nashville.

An Interesting Approach To Steep Surfaces

When you come to a park on a mountain, most of the time you find your campsite is riddled with rocks, uneven or somehow an attempt to make a level surface has been made. Fact is, most of the time the ability to address such an issue is ill thought and you spend a lot of your time setting up to find the spot which best suits.

But not here! Here they have built platforms for making camping easier, even in the worst of hilly conditions.

These little mini decks are spread throughout the park and made available for campers in tents as well as RVs, depending on the area you select your site. It is like a deck built to withstand heavy objects.

Let me just explain the level of confusion I had when I arrived at my site and saw this however…lol. As a tent camper I had all the normal questions you might have when seeing a deck: What is this? How do I secure my tent to it? Do I park on it too? Is this going to make my floor of my tent feel weird?

It wasn't to long after I saw another tent camper, also on one of these pads, that my entire world made sense and soon I was settled in and enjoying a great view, all thanks to my elevated and even pad. It was almost spoiling me!

The typical amenities are present, picnic table, grill, power (some not all sites) and nearby was a nice bathhouse and store. It was a great retreat.

The lake itself was beautiful, just made me wish I had a canoe with me to enjoy it a bit more. But since I couldn't I enjoyed the outdoor spaces lining the shoreline instead and checked out some of the hiking trails here. LOVED the hiking here!!

Inside the Visitor Center you also can find a really cool observation tower that if you are willing to put the foot work in and climb you can see some of the awesome views from high atop the world!!

TIPS:

• Watch for deer!! There seems to be a deer around every bend here and around dusk they have zero fear of the road.
  • Rent a kayak from the store just across the street from the main entrance, they have day and week rates available.
Great Even in the Rain

We stayed at a campsite by the lake. What I didn’t realize until we got there is that the site is on a wooden platform because the shoreline is a little steep. We had brought a canoe and so it was A bit awkward trying to get down to the lake toting a canoe directly from our campsite. Although, we made it work, and had a great time.

We fit our truck, 2 tents for 2, and a mini kitchen set up with table and benches comfortably. The running water was fantastic!

That evening a storm came and I was so thankful for the platform because the rainwater ran off between the wooden slats, no mud!!

Bathrooms were ok, and had hot water showers.

Primitive Tent Camping in woods by lake

We loved this primitive tent camping spot. All sites were nestled in the woods along the edge of the lake. Each site had a fire ring & tent landing. It was near parking, but all gear had to be carried into the woods. These were not pull in campsites. Shower house was a decent walk. Maybe at 1/4 mile? Water spigots were dotted throughout the woods, but not at every site.

Great primitive camping experience

We stayed here in November 2017; we camped in the primitive camping section which has a parking area up top and you hike with your equipment down some stairs into a wooded area with about 7 primitive campsites. We could see and hear the lake from our campsite and though there were a few other folks camping too, it was pretty quiet and very relaxing. We packed up during the day to explore other nearby parks like fall creek falls and Cummins falls but came back at night to camp. Our stuff was safe and there was plenty of room for 2 tents on the camping pad. The site we stayed at was sloped a bit so we ended up sleeping in our hammocks, but that was lovely too. Bathhouse was only a short hike away and there were strategically placed water pumps where we could get water near our campsite. Overall a great experience and cheap too.

B-E-A-Utiful State Park

Came in on a Friday with reservations & prepaid so no hassle getting straight into our campsite. Unique campground with 60 sites, most of which are wooden decks dotted all along the hillside overlooking Center Hill Lake. This time of year there is so much foliage on the trees that you could hardly see your neighbors. The park was really quiet to have been almost full the weekend of our stay. I would rate it 5 stars but there are only 3 bathhouses for the 60 sites and with the boy scout troop staying the same time we were they got REALLY busy in the evening hours. They were extremely clean to be utilized as much as they are. We will make it a regular spot throughout the season.

Special note - most of the sites have electric & water on the LEFT SIDE (looking into the site) so be prepared to either lose a few feet of the site to move your camper closer OR take extra lengths to reach across.

Verizon service 4G LTE in most areas of the park we visited.

Beautifully unique

The campsites are wooden platforms, which is kind of unique. Great if you like camping but aren’t a fan of setting up in dirt/mud with bugs. It’s a pretty steep turn up and into the tent sites, so I wouldn’t advise a lower sitting vehicle. The grill and campfire area was set up kind of awkwardly at our site. It’s sitting far away from everything. That isn’t probably because it’s not a good idea to make a fire on top of a wooden platform, but it still makes things weird if you have a group that wants to sit around the fire together. Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves. It’s an absolutely beautiful park, right on the water. There’s a great restaurant on the marina and and trails for hikers of all levels.

Great Park!

great place to visit,clean and quiet, try and get one of the lake side spots, others aren't far away just not on the shore. Buy firewood at visitors center. bath houses and playground

Kayak Fishing trip

Nice campsite with platforms for campers. Great access to Center Hill Lake and the Caney Fork River.