Campground
Crystal C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2021

Quiet FREE Campground

Rhea Springs is a wonderful free campsite in central Tennessee which permits stay up to 14 days. As a part of the TVA the property as a whole is well maintained despite some obvious wear and tear on the restroom facilities.

I pulled into Rhea Springs later in the afternoon on a Wednesday and found a waterside site with ease. Though there were several other campers there it did not seem crowded at all as spacing of sites is well thought. I camped in my van near the waters edge in a semi flat area, though I will say some sites are much more uneven than others. I was on the main entry area as opposed to the peninsula are for camping as that seemed to be attracting more group camps and louder crowd at the time of my visit.

All sites are equipped with a fire ring and picnic table, but additionally they have a trash can which is picked up every few days by the TVA maintenance. Additionally you can find trash and recycling near the restrooms.

The restrooms were large enough for a couple of stalls and a very large kind of dingy looking shower. The shower had no curtain so a bathing suit or a buddy would be needed to use this and have privacy. The water in the showers does get very warm, so that is a bonus. There are also no mirrors in the restroom so if you are counting on one to get ready for the day pack one in with you.

When I visited my initial goal was to stay a single night but I really enjoyed the waterfront positioning of my campsite during the rains, it was very peaceful and coaxed me into a second night’s stay. I would definitely return to this campsite again in the future!

• Sites are very close to the water's edge.   Despite rain for the entirety of the 2 days stay I experienced no flooding.
  • The site as a whole.
  • Across the water you can see a group camp that I could occasionally hear over the sounds of the rain.    When I drove in I drove past them only to discover they were there to party for the week so I opted not to stay directly beside them.
  • Blue recycling and black trash can be found near the entrance
  • The restroom had seen better days and could use a good scrub but did have really hot water when I tested it.
  • The sign is a bit deceiving, this is not a day use only site
  • no frills just good water pressure and a bit of soap