The best DRIVE IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Mixie Camping Reviews
Little slice of heaven

After the Covid lockdowns, this was the perfect getaway for our family. The bathrooms were clean, the campsites were a good size and well shaded.  We went to the beach at Cub Lake for hours every day!  There were several playgrounds around the campgrounds, I'm sure we tried them all.  We had an electric site around the corner from the beach, near an older playground and bathrooms.  The lake is BEAUTIFUL!  The cabins looked wonderful, too. We liked that they had both a fire ring and grill.  The lake water is pretty dirty, but we had plenty of fun. There was also a nice visitor's center and walking trails.

Great little camp ground

Nice little are to camp at . Well suited for tents . Most of the area isn’t very level . The road going back there is gravel . We went with our 30 ft travel trailer . There is no hook ups . Can run generator until 11pm

Great waterside locations

We took two different weekends at Piney Campground and both times were able to get waterside spots and drop the kayaks right in at the campsite.  There are a LOT of kids around riding bikes (so be careful driving) but people respect the campsites and do a good job of being good neighbors.

The best spots book up quickly, especially for long weekends so reserve EARLY if you want a specific date.

Great place to stay!!

Great place to stay!! It is very clean and quiet. The ranger is very nice and checks on you during your stay.

Nice spot - loud road

The spot was nice, the park was lovely, but the road noise was bothersome. We were in a spot pretty far from the road but it was very noticeable. Bathrooms were nice, restaurant was closed for the season.

Some Happy Campers

I've been going here since I was a youngn' and it never fails to disappoint. Nice views with nice people all around and some of the hottest showers of you life. 10/10 would recommend.

Unique spot

Fun experience staying with all the horses! I didn’t really know it was a thing to bring horses to camp and ride them on the trails! Loved it. Spots are pretty close together but fine for big rigs. Drawbacks: Sites 49-51 are mislabeled online. Booked a pullthru spot on 49 but it wasn’t. Campground was pretty full and we weren’t offered a lot to correct that the website was wrong. I could pay more for a different site… ended up taking “49” back in with ample space. Horses neigh, lots of barking dogs and some rowdy late night campers. If you are looking for a quiet getaway reconsider. We enjoyed being in it all and near the horses.

New Owners

My family and I stayed at Parkers Crossroads overnight, just passing through until we got to our final destination. I was pleasantly surprised. The owners are new and were just on the job for their second day when we arrived. They were very hospitable! We arrived there later than expected. I called them, and they came to the office to escort us to our spot. The gentleman there even helped my husband get the electricity and water set up while his wife went over all the paperwork with me. The next day, we were really able to see the grounds. The property is beautiful! They have a pool , which h was closed for the season, and we loved the pond area. The only reason why it is not a 5 star is because 1) we didn't check out the restroom facilities, and 2) we wished they had a nicer playground area for the kids. I will say that the paperwork they shared with us shows plans to incorporate a new playground. So maybe there will be a nicer one when we come back. Best wishes to the new owners!

Not the place for a peaceful getaway

Overall a decent spot if you’re just looking for a safe place to sleep right near I-40. But not recommended if you’re looking for a peaceful spot to enjoy a vacation.

Pros:

• extremely easy to get to and right off I-40 so minimal added time to trip
  • full hookups and they were well situated on the pad
  • pretty level spot
  • KOA so you know what to expect, and the check in process is really easy - especially after hours
  • cable hookups - though we didn’t try it so not sure how good it is
  • WiFi - but pretty weak at least from site 14

Cons:

• Extremely loud traffic noise - you really couldn’t get closer to the highway unless you were park on an on-ramp (see video if you don’t believe me 😉)
  • spots are very close together (but pretty typical for a KOA)
  • it was pretty full for a week night so it may be hard to book day of on the weekend
Peaceful area, great views of the lake!

This place is very neat.  We prefer areas that feel more secluded and provide enough space between sites so our dogs don't lose their minds at every sound/person.  This place surprisingly has some beautiful sites and most of them are pretty far apart! We stayed at the campsite farthest in the back that stands up on a hill.  You're near rocky beaches but you over look it from about 20-25 feet above.  Really beautiful! Majority of sites have a pretty nice view of the lake & there are some near the entrance that are mostly wooded if that's what you prefer.

I cannot say what this area is like in the summer months, I imagine a little crowded as it has a boat ramp. We went 10/24 & the weather was chilly so it wasn't too crowded.

We will definitely come again.