Cowan , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Cowan Camping Reviews
Cloudland Canyon Camping Solo with 4 kids!

I’m a mom and aunt to 4 kiddos and decided to go camping with them but they are 10, 8, 6 and 3 so I knew I would struggle to get the tent up for all of us, and it was a bit chilly for the littles. So, I opted for the yurt option at Cloudland Canyon! It was a beautiful spot! Had everything we needed within the state park. Snacks/drinks at check in. Felt secluded but had other yurts nearby and a very clean bathroom and shower area! I’ve tent camped a lot and this was a very memorable experience for all the kids! We made breakfast on the campfire, watched Hocus Pocus late inside the yurt (using my computer and Hot spot from my phone) and hiked during the day! The views were spectacular (but whoa if you are afraid of heights) 😬 I will go back!

Incredible campground0

Decided to do some fall camping in Huntsville to see the Rocket Center. Found this campground and couldn’t be happier. From an RV perspective, this place is phenomenal. We managed to snag a full hookup pull through site on fairly short notice. Site #30 turned out to be more than large enough for our tiny camper and could likely hold the largest 5th wheel/dually combos on the road or a 30+ foot travel trailer plus two vehicles. I walked the site off at an estimated 70 feet long. Sites throughout the park are pretty level, and ours required no leveling from side to side. Picnic areas are large and located on the proper side of the sites. Fire rings are large, steel, and have cooking grates. All sites that I could observe had all connections convenient and didn’t require any exceptionally long power, water, or sewer connections. I really liked the buddy sites for those who might be traveling together, but for those looking for some separation, this campground provides that. No parking slide to awning here. If a view is on your must have list, I suggest sites 46,48,49,51,53,55,57,59,and 61. These sites back up to the hill side and views through the trees are gorgeous. I’m sure it’s even better in the winter when leaves are gone. Camp store is nice and sells firewood ($7.50/bundle as of this review). Highly recommend checking out the Japanese Tea Garden for an easy, quiet hike. Wildlife is abundant and have little fear of humans. Squirrels and deer routinely entered our campsite while we were sitting around.

Worth it.

Great park. Nicely maintained, friendly staff, spacious and spread out sites. We stayed in walk-in 19. It's a half mile from parking and the comfort building, and the trail is covered in tree routes, so wheeled items (coolers, wagons) may not do very well. But what a great place to get outside! No bugs in October. Did see some armadillos!

Once settled, go hike! The West Rim trail is manageable. Be careful with dogs, as parts of the trail have grated stairs, and dog feet don't do well on the grates.

But the view are spectacular.

With more time, we would have done the waterfalls trails as well.

In all, excellent place. Will certainly go back.

An Owl, a hawk and beautiful trees!

Quiet stop only one night. Everything worked and no drama! Beautiful trees! 🍁Live owl named “Cotton” and hawk named “Buddy” on exhibit there. Cute little store on grounds.

Love this place

Bathrooms have hot showers and flushing toilets the trails and waterfalls are beautiful the sites are nice and private would definitely come here again absolutely wonderful place

Nice, quiet, Great Lake

Nice rv spot. Multiple piers, and lake entries, good rv “shop”, nice spaces and nice humans. Clean facilities and overall mostly quiet.

Our go to spot!

We live in Madison, AL and love driving out to Cathedral Caverns to camp on the weekends. It has a smaller but decent primitive campground. A quick drive down the gravel road and you're at the RV park with bathrooms. There are also two backcountry sites if you want to hike a mile or so. It's never too crowded and always clean! WARNING: Very spotty cellphone service, which is actually nice if you want to enjoy the outdoors!

My favorite home away from home

We are members to this camp ground and absolutely adore it. From the friendly staff to the well kept grounds. We spend 2 weeks here at a time and are always satisfied.

Planetarium

Don’t forget about the Planetarium that’s just a short hike away from the campground. This place has plenty of history from our NASA space program, but you should catch a show some Saturday night and learn all about it. Www.vbas.org The one thing I will tell you is the dome they project the light show onto was once the travel cover for a famous rocket!

Awesome Waterfalls

Rock Island State park is a great place to camp. The campground is large and the campsites are spacious and far enough apart that you feel secluded, even when it’s full. It’s heavily wooded, so you don’t feel like your neighbors on right on top of you. The sites are paved and have water and electric, no septic where I was, however and they have a dump station that was large enough for two people to use at the same time. There are so many things to do at the campground, or the park, you will not be bored. Rock Island has some of the best waterfalls in Tennessee, and you can get right up to some them, if you are brave enough to kayak close to them. They also have a swimming area, and sand volleyball. Great biking in the park also. The area has lots of little shops and antique stores, if you’re into that, and Calf Killer Brewery is a short drive, and I highly recommend visiting there. Overall, this is a great park to visit, and a great place to camp.