The best YURTS camping near
Banner Hill , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Banner Hill Camping Reviews
Great Campground

There is a little bit of everything here. Mountain location meets all the view requirements to include the rushing stream as you come in. Owners are supper friendly and want to make your stay enjoyable. There are cabins, tents, and RV sites so you can take your choice of sleeping accommodations. Plenty to do for kids of all ages with game room, swing set, basketball, corn hole, and a field big enough to throw a frisbee or play catch. Add a little creek through the middle and a fishing pond; what more do you need?

Campground is well maintained. The RV Sites are level. The bath house is clean. The WiFi is A++, can you say streaming?! You have your choice of open site or one with tree cover. If you are looking for a place to see the leaves changing color this is the place to stay. Don’t wait to make your reservations it fills up fast!!!

Pretty and convenient.

20 minutes from downtown Asheville, we got to enjoy the city a little bit while also camping. Campground and staff were great but campsites are extremely close together (we stayed at hard times loop), some of the RV sites at Big John Loop seem to have a bit more privacy, however those are completely paved and not suitable for tents. We have Verizon and usually get service everywhere even spotty locations but our phones hardly worked there and definitely no internet. We got lucky (due to the cold I think), the site next to us was empty until our last day. The showers kinda suck, it’s a few seconds of timed release, if you’re trying to get clean and wash your hair having to keep pushing a button every 30 seconds that the water goes out is pretty annoying, specially when it’s so cold. And the lack of pressure and position of the shower makes you have to almost lean on the wall.

First solo trip - perfect spot!

I decided to stay at Lake Powhatan for my first solo camping trip and campsite 063 was the perfect location. I was right next to the campsite host and the bathrooms, so I felt safe the whole time. I went during the week, so despite being next to the bathrooms, it was very quiet. The only downside to this site was the picnic table was directly on top of the trees, so my hammock was almost directly on top of the table. But other than that, I have no complaints.

The bathrooms were very nice. Staff came around and cleaned the bathrooms and showers every morning. And the fact that they were both individual, private rooms were very convenient, as I had my service dog with me, so I was able to bring a towel to put on the ground while I showered and I didn’t have to worry about anyone else in the bathroom trying to pet him.

All of the staff was super friendly, but it was a minor inconvenience that the campground store was closed due to COVID, so if you needed ice or firewood, you had to drive up to the gas station that was a few miles out.

I would definitely go back again though!

Awesome location

Camped here for one night. Busy campground but still pretty private. Amenities were a plus if you’re looking to shower. Only bummer was that dogs aren’t allowed to swim in the lake..Not a bad drive from campground to downtown Asheville!

Highly Recommend

Very nice campgrounnd! Very clean. Even the fire pit was cleaned out. Host came by within ten minutes to check us in, which was much appreciated. Stayed in Lover's Leep #8. Steep drive in, but easy back in to site. Highly recommend

Great Location!

This is a busy campground. Lots of hikers and Mountain bikers come here. The trails are really fun and there are lots of them. We took a swim in the lake at the beachfront site and had lots of fun. I recommend site 15 on the Big John Loop. We have a 28ft Nucamp Avia and dry camped for two nights. Site is flat and easy to back in to. Dump station was great with potable water separate from the dump area. Took an afternoon trip to Asheville which was only 15 minutes away. All of the roadways are paved so the kids loved to bike and scooter around. Poor cell service so don’t rely on that.

Bathrooms are weak. The map shows it closer to our site but in reality it’s closer to sites 2,3,21. No Laundry and they reserved full hookup sites to tent campers.

Always Great

Like everyone says , you can’t beat this place for piece and quiet. Very few spots are too close. Bathrooms and showers are clean. Camp spaces are cleaned as soon as the last guess pulls out. There has been a lot of rain this year and beach area needs some clean up and more sand added, but still good enough for us. No ice and firewood being sold because of COVID but , we were prepared for that. Best advice I can give is don’t get hung up on finding spots in certain loops trying to get close to the lake or certain trails , this place is spread out and you’ll have to ride a bike or drive to them anyway.

Nice campground, not so nice staff

I really wanted to love Lake Powhatan, it’s so close to Asheville and I thought it would be my go to place to stay when I wanted to visit friends there but the staff was rude and there were so many loud groups at night. I had a prime site with lots of space between myself and my neighbors and an easy walk to the bathrooms with hot showers. Dogs aren’t allowed in the small lake but there are tons of streams along the trails they are allowed in so that was perfect for my senior dog to cool off. The trails were crowded with people and mountain bikers but conveniently located to the campground. Along the streams there were tons of these tiny blue butterflies and I saw a young bear stroll past my campsite one morning, just magical really. At night people showed up late slamming car doors and partying at several sites, some that I could hear weren’t even on my loop and it was a bit frustrating. I also had a very uncomfortable interaction with one of the men working their (who didn’t make it clear he even worked there) who basically restricted my movement for several minutes and then accused me of trying to steal from the glamping sites because I was driving around checking out where I might stay the next time. I was so uncomfortable I packed up to leave right after and the people at the site next to me said they had issues the previous year with the staff, really unfortunate when you are trying to relax in nature. They and I emailed the campground about the incidents with no response from management, I will not be going back.

Comfort and privacy

My husband and I stayed at the Happy Tales Campsite on our 22nd wedding anniversary and we had a great time. The location is very private, we were on our own the whole time. The setting is rustic, right next to an animal sanctuary. We had to bring water from a spigot nearby, but the host said they could do it for us if we wanted.

The tent is spacious and turned out to be the best feature when it started raining in the evening. We simply moved our camp chairs inside and listened to the rain and cicadas. Then later that night the sky cleared up and the stars were so beautiful, we could see the Milky Way.

The tent had everything we needed - a private toilet, a trash can, a water canister, a fire pit, chairs, a table, and a food storage box. One thing I would recommend is to bring a lamp, and a grill or a grilling grate, in case you want to cook.

The host was great, she was in touch with us prior to our arrival, met us at the gate and showed us the property.

This place is great for couples, but also for parents with younger children, who want to spend the night under the stars, but still in a comfort of a bed.

The road to the site is unpaved and probably requires a 4x4 vehicle to get there.

Site selection

This was my first time at this campground. It’s pretty but our site was not the greatest. I do not recommend site 16 if you know it’s going to rain. It is sloped a little bit and the water just pools under your tent and overruns your campsite. Site 15 and 20 in the Big John loop are really nice. Try to snag these first. Cheers!