Equestrian
National Park Service
Bandy Creek - Big South Fork Area is located in Tennessee
6 Reviews of Bandy Creek - Big South Fork Area
A personal favorite

I have so many amazing memories from camping, hiking, and exploring all over this area. The best time to go (in my opinion) is in the fall. Not as many people and incredible foliage if you time your trip right.

Modern, but wild

I arrived to camp on a Monday and was surprised at how deserted the area was. This is a large campground but there were only two other sites occupied in the tent loop.

This is bear and rattlesnake habitat, so be prepared to keep food items locked up and watch your step. A bear-proof storage locker is available at each site.

The sites are well-spaced, trash receptacles are convenient, and the bathrooms and showers were very clean and nice. There is a swimming pool that apparently is open on the weekends. Plenty of hiking available as well.

Ranger Review: Midland X-TALKER T75VP3 Handheld Radio and Bandy Creek Campground and

Campground Review: I enjoy Bandy Creek Campground and wish I could visit more often. You could easily spend your entire summer in this area and explore somewhere new every day.

When we arrived at the campground it started snowing and the temperature dropped to 29 overnight. There were several people occupying the D loop. We were alone in the B loop.

The shower house was heated ;) and well maintained. The campground was clean and well taken care of. We visited the Visitors Center first thing in the morning and then hit the trails.

Gear Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I get the opportunity to review outdoor gear. On this trip I took along my recently received Midland X-TALKER T75VP3 hand held radio’s. As soon as I took the radio’s out of their display box I could tell these weren’t anything like my childhood Walkie talkies. Camouflaged, compact and very sturdy feeling. They fit nicely in your hand.

These radio’s come with rechargeable batteries. You can also use regular batteries if need be. The base that comes with the radio has the options of using alternate charging platforms in addition to plugging it into the wall.

There are A LOT of instructions;) including information on how to activate the weather channel. Read thoroughly to find out all the cool stuff this little radio will do.

Then we took our radio’s out to play. There was the obligatory “can you hear me now” as we stood five feet apart.

Next on the East Overlook we split up and I was extremely surprised at the sound quality . Once again I was expecting the childhood Walkie talkie experience. However these radio’s sound awesome.

On another trail, with trees , small hills and distance in between the sound and reception was just as good. I would suggest using something in addition to the belt clip included. It is sturdy but not extremely secure and I worried about loosing the radio when I hooked it to my belt.

Overall I am loving this little radio, I will review it again when I have had a chance to use it in more adverse and different situations.

Apr 26 2018

Spent and extended weekend camping and took the Midland X-TALKER T75VP3 Handheld Radio out on the trails. Performed very good. While at least 2 miles apart over dense forest and rocky areas, down (and up) a mountainside we spoke to each other on the Midlands with perfect clarity. I was impressed when we reached the top of a very difficult trail , had crossed about1/2 mile on the top and could still talk clearly to another in our group that was at the base (about a mile) of the climb.

Bandy Creek Campground - Group Site

We stayed at the Group site at Bandy Creek Campground this spring - really a great experience. It comes with a pavilion with award winning fireplaces and your own restroom. Ideal for large groups / families.

Nice little car camping site!

This campground is ideal for car/RV camping. Good hook us for electric and water at each site. Added plus, these bathrooms are super nice and with several locations next to lots of camp plots. Also, dog friendly and within a short drive of the Big South Fork for all you Yakers 😀✌️

All that and trail apples too!

The road in is an adventure in itself while pulling a camper. The visitors center is directly across from the campground as well as stables. The campground is very well kept and clean, nice hookup areas and a pool. Now for the trails…make sure you have a full tank of gas if your driving to the trailheads. If you backpacking in the way is scenic and in many places challenging. With awesome rock formations to see and several historic markers along the way. Horseback riders abound, there are both co-use trails and hikers only. There is an original "settlement" that you can stay at which can only be reached on foot or horseback. They will feed you and bed you down in various modes of primitiveness for a price. Overall an excellent choice for a weekend or longer!