About The Compound
Private
No Water Hookups
The Compound is located in South Dakota
1 Review of The Compound
Thought provoking conversation while camping with goats, chickens and dogs

The towns get smaller as I approach this farmhouse camping experience. The Compound is almost the last house in a town that might be the smallest I’ve stayed in. Rural life announces itself and life slows down.

The tower is the identifier. Homemade and designed, it stands above as a landmark. It also provides a roost for the solar panels and allows them to have water pressurized for off grid living. Vegetable and herb gardens are on one side. A creek gurgles by on the other. You are free to find a spot anywhere to set up. We choose the front corner and tucked ourselves in between a couple trees.

Baboo, their Great Pyrenees dog, is a loud but playful greeter. Goats wander throughout- natural lawn mowers. I was lucky enough to hold three day old babies- so precious! Another is giving birth at any moment.

The hosts are super interesting and we found conversation easy. You have to ask about their time with Work Away in Costa Rica. Their motorcycle adventure led to a year of labor and learning. Larissa excitedly talked about her entry into teaching life where we found common ground right away. She brought me to a fresh, wild asparagus plant and broke off a fresh shoot for me. She pointed down the road and said to help myself as we walked by. It’s in season and plentiful.

We were given plenty of space to do our own thing but eventually Landon invited me back to talk while he worked on the outhouse. Saying yes to this opportunity was a good decision. Our first stop was touring his self built tower and we lost ourselves in the engineering of its design. He has 30 psi of water pressure that uses only the sun to energize it. A geothermal system is also in the works. The roosters fought over hens and goats buzzed around the babies and we continued talking. I think we did more pondering and talking than actual woodwork but it was getting dark before we wrapped up. Definitely a highlight our our stay and probably our trip.

Camping is simple here. Their house is available to use as a restroom while they finish the outhouse. Water is in the hose. Everything is about conservation here so participation is requested. With no picnic table by where we set up, they have a fire pit and chairs by the creek and offered to light a fire for us. We chose conversation instead and it worked well. We had time to walk through farmland along a lazy road out of town. Picturesque South Dakota landscape greeted us.

This is definitely a place to stop at! You will enjoy a simple setup that is constantly improving with tremendous hosts who invite you into their lives for your stay.