the dyrt
National Park Service
Afterbay is located in Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area in Montana
2 Reviews of Afterbay
Great place to visit

We really enjoyed our stay at Afterbay campground in Montana. Montana is such an incredible place to camp because there are so many outdoor activities. If you love the outdoors, I recommend visiting Montana. It is a great place year round. This campground is one of my favorite places because right down the road are a few different hikes. One hike is 8 miles round trip and it has the most amazing views ever. Views of the lake and mountains all around. You can’t beat that. The campground is well kept, but a little on the smaller side. Not sure how many spots they have, but during the summer it gets very busy. If you are planning to come in the summer I would recommend making your reservation ahead of time. We have stayed here twice and both times all the campsites were full. Bring your own fire wood because they don’t have any for sale close by. Also bring water because they don’t have any water hookups. Luckily we brought jugs of water, which we needed for our hikes. There are plenty of trees that provide great shade. Lots of bugs and mosquitos during the summer so I’d recommend good mosquito spray. We have come in the winter and stayed in our RV (see snow pictures) and we have come in the summer.

Montana is such a beautiful state! The hiking and outdoor activities are limitless! My family and I go to Montana once every few years because he outdoor life is hard to stay away from. We stayed at this campground because there is some really good hikes nearby and we wanted to see this part of Montana. The campground was pretty good, just s typical campground. The restrooms weren’t the cleanest, but they were portapotties which to me are never clean! Bring your own toilet paper, they ran out the last day we stayed. Each site has its own picnic table and fire ring. Within the campground there is a large grass area where people were playing horseshoes, volleyball and spike ball. My family and I enjoyed hanging out in this area, throwing a frisbee around with our dog. Again? Highly recommend hiking in the areas nearby! We also went to the lake that was close by! Enjoyed swimming and playing fetch in the water with our dog. Loved our stay and can’t wait to come back!