Summerton , SOUTH CAROLINA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Summerton Camping Reviews
Terrible experience TW- lewd behavior

Hopefully one off!!!

We were lounging about, reading in my car, when a truck with two male NPS staff pulled in right next to us. One staff proceeded to give the other staff a blowjob. Hopefully not realizing we were there. As two solo women we were nervous about the lewd behavior and just left.

Great staff, cozy park

Arrived here for two nights in the tent after Myrtle Beach. Site 46 is not terribly even, but it's well situated inside the loop. The park is clean, the tent pad is a good size, and the amazing aroma of pine is one of the natural highlights. Unfortunate that the camp store closes at 5 pm. So one must drive to Publix for firewood. The closest Walmart has $2 ice bags.

A mirage

It looks nothing like South Carolina as you enter the gates. After half a dozen ups and downs and right turns you find yourself in a clearing and a large parking lot, a lake and a ranger station. Around the clearing are more than a dozen trails for hiking or MTB. It's a "mountain" in the low country.

A great low-country experience

Fantastic hiking, well maintained (during normal services), and the primitive campsites are the best "get-away" opportunity.

Nature is abundant, both flaura and fauna. So bug spray is recommended to the unfortunate of us that are preyed upon by mosquitoes and the like. Also my dogs love it and it's a great energy burner for them.

Cheap, primitive, rustic!

We camped at Halfway Creek in the Francis Marion National Forest for the eclipse.  It's a free campground, but there are no water and no toilets.  You can park in a lot just outside the camping area--some people sleep in their cars there.  This site does not take reservations, so it's first come-first served.

The actual camping area is wide open and grassy, but if you prefer more privacy, you can hike in a bit and pick a spot.  We stayed in the open area because we were a big group and wanted the best view of the eclipse!

Something fun to do is to visit (gotta drive there) the Halfway Creek Church, constructed in 1941.  You can also do a hike on one of the trails here.

Bring lots of water and bug spray and some trash bags to pack your trash/T.P. out!

[Off Halfway Creek Road (SC Route 98-S), located along Swampfox Passage/Palmetto Trail]

A Great Way to Spring Break!

Stayed here in late April 2017 and loved the experience. The "drive up" campground still requires a small hike from the lot to the individual camping location. The primitive campground can be quite possibly one of the quietest places you ever camp depending on the season. Going in the spring, the bugs were practically non-existent, and we stayed out all night taking pictures of the night sky and talking around the camp fire. The experience is every bit what camping should be. We also met some great people at the campsites near the parking lot. Campgrounds are right off of the hiking trails, and there are no RV or camper sites. A backpacker's paradise!

We will be back!

Even though we had a few rainy days we could see the beauty of this park. Clean heated restrooms in Winter is a bonus. Lots of things to do for all ages. Helpful and friendly staff.

Needs improvements

Not a big rig friendly area. Our site was 30 amp, no sewer. I backed in the way I was told to and realized our water and electric were on the curb side. Had I known this ahead of time, I could have maybe pulled in another way. The service from another site was less than 3 feet from my power inlet to the camper. I called to make sure it would be ok to plug in there and they said no, even though no one used that site. The bathhouse was well below standards and really just unusable. I’ll pick another place if I’m ever in the area again.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

National Park. Beautiful, pristine trails in a lowland, River-swamp habitat

Pristine, but organized trails near the Consgree river and Swamp. Lots of wildlife and ancient trees on the trails. Small campsite to include group camping. 40 miles from downtown Columbia SC. A rare treat to go back in time like this.