Shadow Wood , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Shadow Wood Camping Reviews
Great for Tent Camping!

Stayed here in July 2020. Campsites are available on a first come, first served basis. There is no cell service. It's pet friendly. No water or electric hookups. Bathrooms are toilet only and no running water or temperature control.

There's the facts. Now on to the good stuff.

The road to get to some of these sites is ROUGH. Definitely not a road to drive for those who aren't skilled in off road driving.

We stayed in one of the back sites near the creek (I can't recall the number). Most of the sites were VERY secluded. We could see our neighbors in the distance, but not very well.

Some of the sites are HUGE. Ours was one of those large ones.

There are bugs everywhere. Make sure you know how to set up your site to repel bugs!

This campground has it all - fishing, hiking, waterfalls, wildlife, etc. It's a primitive camper's dream!

Incredible place to hike

Took my boys after studying the 7 Natural wonders of GA and this gorge is one of them. Did not disappoint. The hike to the bottom is not for the faint of heart. And the steps back up will challenge the most fit among us. But the views and experience is well worth the pain. Campground while being big rig friendly is a little tight ( we have a 42ft motorhome). If your large try to book sites 34 or 35 pull through. No sewers, but easy to use dump station next to the exit. Make sure you add this stop to your Must see list

Great trail, terrible campsite

First off I would say that the Bartram trail is one of my favorite through hikes in the southeast and I actually got engaged on one of the sections. However, this particular site, listed as a campground on the official Bartram trail NC map, is not worth staying at. I looked around and checked the map several times but it is really just a clearing. There is no firepit, no water, and no good flat area for a tent. In a pinch, you could set up a hammock here and camp for the night but my suggestion would be to plan on staying at one of the nearby backcountry sites with a better setup. I have posted reviews of those as well so check them out. If you are still interested I would suggest watching my video first.

Beautiful mountain setting!

We stayed in one of the tent-only, walk-in sites. This was our first (and so far, only) walk-in tent camping experience as a family. I gotta say - there were challenges.  They weren't unexpected, but still… It should go without saying but nothing here is flat. And after heavy rains some of the trails are not in the best of shape, quite rutted and muddy. So lugging a ton of gear up into the woods was a challenge. It was only 50ish yards, but it was not an easy 50ish yards. So setup and tear down was not the most fun part of the trip. Next time we'll pack lighter for this sort of camping.

However, with that out of the way, we had zero other complaints about our time here. Once we got to our site, it was awesome. The pad was in great shape, flat, clean and plenty large enough for our 9-person tent and all our gear. Other campsites could barely be seen through the woods so it felt very private and secluded.  The bathhouse was good, clean and in good shape. And the setting was amazing.

While here we also hiked a few trails.  The Tennessee Rock trail seems to be the most popular, but let me warn you -- it was NOT as easy as we expected. My youngest kid and my wife turned around and went back. I and my older kids, along with the dog, completed the hike, but it was challenging. Its narrow and very slippery in spots, with more elevation changes than you expect. I mean its not the sort of hike you need to prepare for and pack for the day, but at least have proper footwear and some water with you. And to be honest, if you're going for the mountain views, skip it. The best views in the whole park, by far, are accessible from the roadside, especially at the visitor's center.

Overall though, we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful park and will definitely camp here again!

Paris mountain is a beautiful setting. Lots of bikers use the park. The campground is nice except lots of the spots are not level. The sites are nice otherwise. Bathhouse is nice and clean. Several easy hiking trails around which we did with our older dogs. They did fine and loved it. No sewer hookup but a dump station available. The area is so beautiful that I would definitely use this park Again.

One of my favorite places!

We tent camped here back in March and absolutely LOVED IT. The trails were well maintained and accessible from the campsite. The bathrooms were clean and close by. The sites can be close together but I still felt like we had plenty of privacy. The visitors center is also close by! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get floor permits due to weather-but the other hikes and wineries close by kept us busy. Each site has electrical hookups, fire pit, and a water pump. We can’t wait to go back!

Been here in several seasons.

…each season offers a different experience. We take kayaks in Spring and Summer.

Nearby, but not at the top of my go-to places.

Although a nice campground several things turned me off about this campground.  Mainly the lack of enforcement of dogs running loose, owners not cleaning up after their dogs and enforcement of number of people on a site.  The roads into the campground loops are narrow in spots and not well marked at all.  Backing our 30' motorhome into our site required asking the neighbor to move his truck off our site and maneuvering around other vehicles parked in the road.  The site was fairly level and offered a picnic table and fire ring with quite a bit of grassy area. Unfortunately, the neighbor on that side decided it belonged to them and set up games in it, then near dark other people joined them and set up a third tent in that area. Sites are 30/20 electric and water, but there is a dump station.  This has the potential to be a very nice campground, and I'll go back sometime. Perhaps we just had one bad experience so we'll try it again sometime.

Beautiful campground with waterfront sites!

This is a well kept campground with all of the sites right on the water.  Many are pull through and while there are a few smaller sites most will handle a 40' rig.  There are three bathhouses with showers around the campground and one bathroom with flush toilets but no showers.  Roads are wide, well kept, and easy to navigate.  Sites have 50/30/20 amp electric service and water, pads are level packed gravel, each having a picnic table and fire ring.  Many sites offer direct water access right in front of the site and are kept clear so swimming next to site is outstanding.  Cell phone service is very good and over the air TV offers about 10-12 channels.  Most sites have nice shade, but some are full sun.  There is no camp store, however a Dollar General is about five miles away.  Accessible from I-85 via SC State Hwy 24, about 10 miles.  Excellent campground, our go to place since we live about 30 minutes away.  Best campsites are 3, 14, 57, 58, 69 & 70.

Great water views

We stayed in campsite 71 for three nights in late January. The weather was chilly but calm. We loved the water views and the quiet setting. During the weekdays we were almost alone in our portion of the park, so we enjoyed taking the dog down to the little beach area (as there was no fishing). The weekend resulted in quite a bit of traffic as all the waterfront lots were filled. Decent separation between stalls, but lost the woody feel instantly.

We selected a site fairly close to the bathhouse, but those facilities were closed the entire time we were there. I didn’t observe any signage about why these where closed. This created a longer walk to the showers than desired in the 30-degree nights.

We arrived after hours and tried to check in the next morning. The office staff was very strict about observing their lunch hour. They were walking out as we were walking up and didn’t offer to assist us. There was no answering machine either as we tried to call a couple times once the lunch hour was over. Once we did make contact they were super friendly and helpful.