The best DRIVE IN camping near
Shadow Wood , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Shadow Wood Camping Reviews
Basic Campground but Make Reservations First

The first time I went, I did not have reservations, but there is a camp host. I went to the camp host site to get a site, but s/he was not there. I looked around the campground and there were only three or four campsites taken. After driving and sightseeing, I came back about an hour later. Nobody was still at the host site. I did some more sightseeing and came back about another hour later. No success. The only way I was able to get a site was by reservation. Eventually, I got a site, but the process of having to reserve online ahead of time is frustrating, especially since I was told by a park ranger at another South Carolina State Park that even if you don’t have reservations you can show up if sites are available.

The campsite I was at had a level tent pad, which was gravel. There was a picnic table and a freeze hydrant for water. I checked the hydrant before deciding since the freeze hydrant on my last camping trip did not work. Parking was about fifty feet away since I stayed at the tent site area. Another option would have been to stay at one of the regular tent/RV sites closer to the bath room. The tent/RV sites are level and have fire pits, but I wanted a little more scenic view than having to see the bath house from my campsite.

There were very few campers this time, so it was quiet at the campground. However, I did hear some road noise until late evening since the tent sites are closer to the road. Since it is pretty far from any major town or city, it got really dark at night, so this was really nice for watching stars. '

The bath house had the basic needs—toilet, wash basin, and shower. The floor was concrete, and the toilet was stainless steel with no removable lid. I thought that was strange for a men’s bathroom.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay once I was able to actually get a site.

Beautiful, but Cramped

The campground itself was absolutely beautiful. There were lots of sites along the creek, making it even better.

Their website makes the sites look bigger than they actually are. We BARELY fit two small tents in one site.

Campground is pet friendly, but I wouldn't recommend unless you're RV camping. (In fact, this campground is more geared for RV camping.)

All of the sites on our "loop" were RIGHT ON TOP of each other. I mean, bacon cooked outside would probably get grease on a neighboring camper. We aren't big fans of close camp sites, so we weren't thrilled.

Quiet times were not respected while we were there, but we were not bothered. That may bother others though!

Bathrooms were nice!

This campground will be great for some! Just depends on what you're looking for!

Great for Tent Camping!

Stayed here in July 2020. Campsites are available on a first come, first served basis. There is no cell service. It's pet friendly. No water or electric hookups. Bathrooms are toilet only and no running water or temperature control.

There's the facts. Now on to the good stuff.

The road to get to some of these sites is ROUGH. Definitely not a road to drive for those who aren't skilled in off road driving.

We stayed in one of the back sites near the creek (I can't recall the number). Most of the sites were VERY secluded. We could see our neighbors in the distance, but not very well.

Some of the sites are HUGE. Ours was one of those large ones.

There are bugs everywhere. Make sure you know how to set up your site to repel bugs!

This campground has it all - fishing, hiking, waterfalls, wildlife, etc. It's a primitive camper's dream!

Incredible place to hike

Took my boys after studying the 7 Natural wonders of GA and this gorge is one of them. Did not disappoint. The hike to the bottom is not for the faint of heart. And the steps back up will challenge the most fit among us. But the views and experience is well worth the pain. Campground while being big rig friendly is a little tight ( we have a 42ft motorhome). If your large try to book sites 34 or 35 pull through. No sewers, but easy to use dump station next to the exit. Make sure you add this stop to your Must see list

Beautiful mountain setting!

We stayed in one of the tent-only, walk-in sites. This was our first (and so far, only) walk-in tent camping experience as a family. I gotta say - there were challenges.  They weren't unexpected, but still… It should go without saying but nothing here is flat. And after heavy rains some of the trails are not in the best of shape, quite rutted and muddy. So lugging a ton of gear up into the woods was a challenge. It was only 50ish yards, but it was not an easy 50ish yards. So setup and tear down was not the most fun part of the trip. Next time we'll pack lighter for this sort of camping.

However, with that out of the way, we had zero other complaints about our time here. Once we got to our site, it was awesome. The pad was in great shape, flat, clean and plenty large enough for our 9-person tent and all our gear. Other campsites could barely be seen through the woods so it felt very private and secluded.  The bathhouse was good, clean and in good shape. And the setting was amazing.

While here we also hiked a few trails.  The Tennessee Rock trail seems to be the most popular, but let me warn you -- it was NOT as easy as we expected. My youngest kid and my wife turned around and went back. I and my older kids, along with the dog, completed the hike, but it was challenging. Its narrow and very slippery in spots, with more elevation changes than you expect. I mean its not the sort of hike you need to prepare for and pack for the day, but at least have proper footwear and some water with you. And to be honest, if you're going for the mountain views, skip it. The best views in the whole park, by far, are accessible from the roadside, especially at the visitor's center.

Overall though, we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful park and will definitely camp here again!

Paris mountain is a beautiful setting. Lots of bikers use the park. The campground is nice except lots of the spots are not level. The sites are nice otherwise. Bathhouse is nice and clean. Several easy hiking trails around which we did with our older dogs. They did fine and loved it. No sewer hookup but a dump station available. The area is so beautiful that I would definitely use this park Again.

One of my favorite places!

We tent camped here back in March and absolutely LOVED IT. The trails were well maintained and accessible from the campsite. The bathrooms were clean and close by. The sites can be close together but I still felt like we had plenty of privacy. The visitors center is also close by! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get floor permits due to weather-but the other hikes and wineries close by kept us busy. Each site has electrical hookups, fire pit, and a water pump. We can’t wait to go back!

Been here in several seasons.

…each season offers a different experience. We take kayaks in Spring and Summer.

Nice Lake side camp site

We stayed at the campground over the 2020 Labor day week. It was a nice site. Bath houses were decent. Water was located through out the campgrounds. We stayed in the back loop which is more level. Note you do not need to pay the day use fee if you are camping. The camp host actually retrieved our money we put in the envelope when i mentioned it during check in. The trails in the area have been impacted by several storms in the last few years and many of them are blocked by fallen trees.

Nice campgroud, but dated.

This is a nice campground, but seems to be in need of some TLC,  The layout tends to give some sites a very good view and lots of room while others are very close, all have picnic tables and fire rings.  The sites tend to be on the small side also, but there are some suitable for larger rigs and plenty of overflow parking.  Bathrooms, though older, were clean and well maintained. The dump station has only a single drain, so last minute checkout leads to long lines.  Cell service was good as was over the air TV.  We stayed in a 30' motorhome and would not have had room for another vehicle on site.  Some sites have room for a tent, some don't.  We found it to be kind of noisy from traffic over the dam and on the road alongside the campground.