The best BOAT IN camping near
Langley , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Langley Camping Reviews
Nice Campground About to Get Better!

We camped at Baker Creek (relatively local to us at only 30 miles away) for the first time 7-9 October 2020. We went for kayaking and mountain biking as well as just some time away. Baker Creek is off the main body of Clarks Hill Lake/Lake Strom Thurmond and as such is much quieter than some of the other campgrounds (e.g. Elijah Clark).

Pros:

• A smallish campground with many sites on the water or at least water-accessible.
  • Clean bathhouses
  • Super friendly Rangers and Campground hosts.
  • Quiet on land and from boat traffic noise
  • Comparatively inexpensive

Cons:

• Showing its age, it needs some work. Appears a bit run down with erosion evident on many sites.
  • No fire rings although fires are permitted (previous campers have built makeshift/ad hoc fire rings using the plentiful rocks in the area).
  • Can seem cramped with 50 sites in arelatively small area.
  • No T-Mobile call service in the area.

The Good News (Renovations!):

Speaking with the Campground Host, and later one of the rangers, here are some developments about Baker Creek SP that will definitely be of interest.

1. The park is closing the end of October 2020 as usual but is not projected to open in 2021 until 1 May once renovations are complete.

2. Renovations to the campground include modernizing the sites which included reducing the number of sites from 50 to 30, increasing the size of the sites, installing 50A outlets and fire rings at a minimum.

3. Once the park reopens, it will be open YEAR ROUND.

We will definitely be returning after they reopen and I'll post a new review.

Nice for the whole family

Great place for the whole family for fishing and camping

Waterfront Camping

This is a great, unpopular place to camp. Most of the campsites have access via trails to the lake. It’s clean with easy access and most sites are very easy to navigate. The pit toilets were kept very clean.

You can fit an RV on most sites, although they aren’t all completely level.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for an affordable, secluded campground in the area.

Gorgeous location, lacking in upkeep

I’ve camped at Petersburg multiple times of the past 5 years and generally love it. Bartram Trail, terrific mountain for biking and hiking passes through the property. Some of the sites are stellar.

What I noticed on my most recent trip is that the quality of maintenance has declined. The restrooms on our loop weren’t really cleaned deeply over our 4 night stay with used band aids in the corner or the shower stall. I alerted two staff members about the leaking spigot in our site and that was never addressed.

I’m returning in early November with a few friends for some mountain biking and hope things improve.

Great Camp Ground

Family always enjoys this campground! Beautiful spot, historic and the staff is wonderful.

It’s ok

Just left Aiken State Park in SC. We will not be returning because it didn’t meet our requirements, but it is not a bad park if it’s what you’re looking for, so here’s the pros and cons:

Pros - super affordable, nice location, very peaceful/quiet, nature trails, kayak rentals available, clean, nice staff

Cons - sand/uneven pads, very tight to drive through and get parked, the dump station is inconvenient to get out of when leaving the campground, absolutely no cell service at campsite (we have Verizon, att, and tmobile)

One other big negative for us, which I hope no one else has to encounter is there was a seemingly, stray dog running around. Super sweet and timid around people, but we have our dog with us (boxer) and the stray attacked our dog. Just warning if you’re there or going soon.

Something for everyone!

Dreher Island was a great camping location! We stayed at tent sites 1&2 which was kind of like having our own private compound. If coming back again I would book tent sites 1-3 to claim the whole area! Other parts of the campgrounds seemed to be on top of each other and more sloped to access water. Access to the lake was a breeze from the site; easy to walk in the water and to get the kayaks in and out. Fishing was convenient from the shore. Bike riding was also great here although time did not allow for much of that this trip.

If interested in renting kayaks or paddle boards, I highly recommend Paddle South Outfitters. Travis was awesome and delivered kayaks right to the site and picked up too! Super nice guy!

Bathrooms were very clean and not a far walk from the campsite. Would stay beyond 2 nights next trip to explore more.

Still Unknown

Had high hopes for this place.  Unfortunately, the gate was locked and posted that it was closed for the season.   I was able to drive around and check out the boat ramp and picnic areas.  They were nice.

Very specifically for boaters

First and foremost, Mistletoe is beautiful. It’s tucked away and the greenery is outstanding. The hiking is lengthy and gorgeous (if somewhat difficult to navigate) with an easy grade that’ll keep the huffing and puffing to a minimum. I wish the signage around the park aimed in both directions of the road. Navigating on your way in was easily enough, but getting out was tougher.

The staff at the visitor’s center were friendly, and the toilets and showers were kept very clean.

A fair warning, though: if you’re a tent camper who’s looking to enjoy some quiet time by the water, avoid the loop with the boat ramp. We stayed on site 30, and were surrounded by RVs and boats coming and going: between the sound and the lights, it wasn’t exactly peaceful. Add in the extraordinary winds that were coming in off the lake the weekend we were there, and certain moments of our trip felt very tedious. The Park can’t exactly do anything about wind and neighbors with boats, but we intend to camp further from the boat ramp next time. We got a look at the spots closer to the walk in sites, and think those might be more conducive to anyone who’s going for a more low-key tent experience.

Happened Upon This One

Monday, September 14th. Warm and muggy with rain here and there. Went to my planned campsite Lake Springs, which was closed for the season. My late start along with the closed campground meant I would be looking in the dark.  Luckily right up US 221, I found the Army Corp of Engineers Modoc Campground.  It was way after dark as I drove around looking for a site marked open.  I found one and set up camp.  The next morning I broke camp and drove around and checked things out in the daylight.  It's a very nice campground!