The best DRIVE IN camping near
Jackson , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Jackson Camping Reviews
Sites have great size

This is a beautiful place, with great sites, that have a good space between each other, this way you can have some privacy!

Fantastic Campground

Spent this past weekend at Ridge Road Campground. This is an amazing campground. The staff is wonderful. The entire campground is spotless, clean, and exceptionally well maintained. We were in site #67. All the sites are large and well spaced. Tons of trees and most sites are on right on the lake. The water is amazingly clear. If you look at my previous reviews, we’ve camped at many campgrounds around the Southeast this year and we have found that George State Parks and COE campgrounds are at the top of our list. Ridge Road is now in our top 5 overall. I highly recommend this campground if you like quiet, relaxation, kayaking, fishing, or boating in general.

Currently Mostly Closed (Aug 2020)

Nice campground. We stayed in the primitive camping area with our adventure trailer. Right on the water, it was a great site. Ants can be a huge problem though during the summer.

N.B. As of 3 August 2020, Primitive Camping and Semi-Hookup (Electric Only) Camping areas  are closed at Pointes West. RV Camping is open, for local traffic only. RV's must contain a restroom. No visitors.

Ft. Gordon Camping

Decent campground on a small lake (no boating allowed). Keep in mind this campground is on the US Army's Ft. Gordon installation. As a result, the only authorized users of this campground are: "Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired Military, 0-100% DAV, Purple Heart Recipients, Former POW, Veteran Caregivers, DoD Civilians." Open year round.

Quiet Lakeside Campground

Winfield is a compartively little-known USACE campground situated on a peninsula near the more heavily-traffic Mistletoe State Park. Quiet and peaceful, it's tucked up the Little River and therefore not on the main body of Clarks Hill Lake (Lake Strom Thurmond, if you're form South Carolina) which sees a good deal of boat traffic (pontoon boats in particular) in the summer months. Great for water activities (kayaking, SUP, etc) with awesome evening views.

Gorgeous location, lacking in upkeep

I’ve camped at Petersburg multiple times of the past 5 years and generally love it. Bartram Trail, terrific mountain for biking and hiking passes through the property. Some of the sites are stellar.

What I noticed on my most recent trip is that the quality of maintenance has declined. The restrooms on our loop weren’t really cleaned deeply over our 4 night stay with used band aids in the corner or the shower stall. I alerted two staff members about the leaking spigot in our site and that was never addressed.

I’m returning in early November with a few friends for some mountain biking and hope things improve.

Great Camp Ground

Family always enjoys this campground! Beautiful spot, historic and the staff is wonderful.

It’s ok

Just left Aiken State Park in SC. We will not be returning because it didn’t meet our requirements, but it is not a bad park if it’s what you’re looking for, so here’s the pros and cons:

Pros - super affordable, nice location, very peaceful/quiet, nature trails, kayak rentals available, clean, nice staff

Cons - sand/uneven pads, very tight to drive through and get parked, the dump station is inconvenient to get out of when leaving the campground, absolutely no cell service at campsite (we have Verizon, att, and tmobile)

One other big negative for us, which I hope no one else has to encounter is there was a seemingly, stray dog running around. Super sweet and timid around people, but we have our dog with us (boxer) and the stray attacked our dog. Just warning if you’re there or going soon.

Very specifically for boaters

First and foremost, Mistletoe is beautiful. It’s tucked away and the greenery is outstanding. The hiking is lengthy and gorgeous (if somewhat difficult to navigate) with an easy grade that’ll keep the huffing and puffing to a minimum. I wish the signage around the park aimed in both directions of the road. Navigating on your way in was easily enough, but getting out was tougher.

The staff at the visitor’s center were friendly, and the toilets and showers were kept very clean.

A fair warning, though: if you’re a tent camper who’s looking to enjoy some quiet time by the water, avoid the loop with the boat ramp. We stayed on site 30, and were surrounded by RVs and boats coming and going: between the sound and the lights, it wasn’t exactly peaceful. Add in the extraordinary winds that were coming in off the lake the weekend we were there, and certain moments of our trip felt very tedious. The Park can’t exactly do anything about wind and neighbors with boats, but we intend to camp further from the boat ramp next time. We got a look at the spots closer to the walk in sites, and think those might be more conducive to anyone who’s going for a more low-key tent experience.

Happened Upon This One

Monday, September 14th. Warm and muggy with rain here and there. Went to my planned campsite Lake Springs, which was closed for the season. My late start along with the closed campground meant I would be looking in the dark.  Luckily right up US 221, I found the Army Corp of Engineers Modoc Campground.  It was way after dark as I drove around looking for a site marked open.  I found one and set up camp.  The next morning I broke camp and drove around and checked things out in the daylight.  It's a very nice campground!