Yurts
Equestrian
About Shawnee State Park
Shawnee State Park is located in Pennsylvania
8 Reviews of Shawnee State Park
This campground has expanded over the last few years. That have started to

Nice fishing lake and can be remote.

Lots of Space

beautiful park with a lot of space between campers. Cute beach with an odd gate? Bring your kayak!

Huge, very well-maintained & friendly staff

I spent a night here on my way to Pittsburgh one weekend, and I couldn’t be more impressed. it was huge and very well maintained. If you stay here, make sure to travel down the road to see the Flight 93 Memorial.

Beautiful Forest

Foggy mornings are the best in the beautiful forest near Schellsburg historical sites. Nice lake too. Easy access from the PA Turnpike.

Yurt by the turnpike

The campground was clean and family friendly. You could hear traffic from the turnpike easily. Provisions are a short car ride away.

There are many trails to hike and boats can be rented for a day on the lake

The yurt wasn’t the cleanest…but it was August. We had a nice time and would go back…with our own tent.

Love the park, campsites could be improved

The campground is okay, there are a fair amount of awkwardly-placed sites that sit on a hill and are difficult to place a tent, equipment or gear. Our site was essentially a grassy plain, no tree cover which was a bit disappointing. So we ended up putting our tent basically on the neighboring site (which was vacant) in order to string a tarp up to block the rain. Regardless we really enjoyed our stay and the park itself. The trail around the lake was incredible for biking - highly recommend! Everything in this park and campground are extremely well marked and maintained. Nice lake where you can fish, canoe/kayak, etc. didn’t get a chance to swim because of all the rain but there is a beach as well. Will be back, regardless of the grassy plain campsite, maybe will pick a more wooded spot.

Lots to see around the lake

Camped here for a night in April. It is a nice park with good campsites, clean bathrooms, good hiking trails and a nice lake view. The park has lots of activities for the day, including a beach, fishing, hiking, group picnic areas, and if the season is right they allow some hunting in areas. We stayed here on a brisk night and the fog had rolled in overnight. We were planning a breakfast on the lake but the fog hid the lake view. Campgrounds are ok. Each site has plenty of space for tent or camper but the sites are close together.

Close to Really Great Hiking

Shawnee State Park is about 2.5 hours east of Pittsburgh, and it has pretty much everything: swimming, fishing, boating, camping, and fairly decent hiking. It's close to some really great hiking--just outside the park--and that's how I ended up there. I was trekking on the very wild Mid-State Trail, nearby, when I opted for a night at the conventional campground in Shawnee. No regrets. I usually avoid car-camping because I don't want to listen to other people's classic rock in the woods. But this place was great. I came midweek, so I had the campground mostly to myself. The showers are hot and clean. The lake is beautiful with a nice swimming beach. The area around the park has all the scenic and historic attractions of central PA: covered bridges, big stone farmhouses, quaint towns. My only complaint is that the PA Turnpike screams a little too close by. Also, the sites are pretty close together, so be sure to look at a campground map beforehand to reserve one of the more isolated ones.