the dyrt
Asbestos (historical), OREGON
Most Recent Asbestos (historical) Camping Reviews
Great Hub for Rogue River and Crater Lake Activities

We really enjoyed a couple of nights here in September. The place was about half full. Quite clean and quiet, which was nice for us as tent campers. The hosts are friendly, and had firewood for sale. We were surprised that fires were allowed, so we were willing to pay abut $10 for an armload that lasted us for the evening. The sound of the Rogue River is so soothing.

It was great having the Rogue River trail run right past the campground. We checked out the Rogue Gorge trail, which is a short loop past some dramatic narrow sections of the river. We also walked down toward the Natural Bridge, which is an amazing spot where the river runs down into a lava tube and then emerges about 100 yards later.

It's also a pretty easy drive back up to Crater Lake, which also was pleasantly uncrowded. Over the course of three days, we did several hikes.

Internet and phone service are pretty much non-existent, which was fine. You can connect up around Crater Lake Lodge.

American Indian run, near casino

Very nice and so well maintained. Shuttle to casino. A bit close to neighbors but quiet.

Hippy Paradise

The camping area is a couple of “meadows” or grassy backyard and you pick a spot to place your tent. The camping fee includes 1 person in the “spring”. If there are 2 people they charge $25/tent and the 2nd person is an additional $15 and dogs are $5. A bit steep for camping in a meadow without a designated area. There were several picnic tables and I was lucky to get one. I don’t know that I’d feel comfortable camping here alone. The “spring” is a pool and a jacuzzi type set up. It’s ok but I prefer the hot springs that are a bit more natural. Also, after 6pm clothing is optional. The drinking water and shower water smell like sulfur which is a bit nauseating. The big plus is that Ashland is 2 miles down the road. There are quite a few long term people and it’s not very organized so it feels a bit dirty. My friend that I was with said he felt like he was sleeping in a junkyard.

Spacious lake side campground

Large campground with lots of dispersed campsites. Bathrooms, water, firewood, hookups, picnic tables, etc. This campground has a movie screen set up for outdoor movies. It also has big fields and is located right next to lost lake. Very pretty well maintained campground with lots of recreational activities close by!

WHAT a beautiful place!

Took the kids camping here for the first time tent camping and we had a blast. Albeit a bit dusty and rustic, we couldn’t believe how beautiful the lake view was from atop the trailheads and how spectacular the views of the pinnacle rocks were on drive down towards the lake. The campground is clean, well kept and there is bear proof boxes to keep them hybrids of your things which was reassuring and helpful. We will definitely be returning.

Lots of amenities and lots of people

This is a really big campground with lots of trees and lawn space. The sites are kind of close together, there isn't much privacy. The showers and other amenities are really nice. Our campsite was about a 2 minute walk from the river. We visited during the week in August and the got the very last campsite available.

Great Campground

Great campground with spectacular views of Fourmile Lake and Mt. Mcgloughlin. Most of the campsites are quite roomy, some are private, and some are open. The camp host is very helpful and friendly.

Great place

Very peaceful

Camping is great

The park host is nice, showers are free for campers and bathrooms are clean. $17 a night for tent no hookup $19 on weekends. Fire was allowed and there is a beautiful creek behind the campground. It's so convenient off the Interstate.

Just Okay

I feel like I should probably like this campground more, after reading other reviews that call it the "best campground in Oregon" and such, for me it was just kind of meh. The campground is huge with numerous loops full of RVs and tents, and there's plenty of grass and space for running around, but most of the sites are really on top of each other without much in the way of privacy in-between. It's also right off the I-5 freeway and you can definitely hear the traffic.

For us the absolutely best park was the ranger program/camp host activity that was going on while we were there. They had water activities, a tent to check out animal skulls and such, and lots of kids hanging out and playing. I don't know, however, if that event was specific to the awesome camp hosts who were there at the time or if it's always going on.

Overall a pretty basic campground with some major drawbacks including the traffic noise and less-than-exciting campsites, though we never made it down to the river, which I'm sure would have been a lot more fun.

Large sites with good food & nice owners

We went to the resort instead of the forest service site because of the size of the campsite and the friendly people.

Oregon Caves just down the road

Uncrowded, riverside, close to the caves. Rustic - no hookups. Big sites. Forest service park. Host on-site.

Great Campground near the Crater Lake Area

This is a great campground only about 45 minutes from Crater Lake National Park. It is a very large campground with spots on the river, sunny spots, spots with rock fireplaces, very large spots, a wide range of spots to choose from. There was heavy smoke from nearby forest fires and fires from California that caused a lot of people to not visit the campground, making it very quiet and relaxing for those of us who did visit. Due to the smoke, I did not visit any of the nearby hiking spots but did take a photo posted on the information board. However the park is so large with many roads and paths that just walking around the park was great. There were also several people and kids riding their bikes around, I definitely recommend bringing bikes. The small village of Union Creek at the entrance had a couple restaurants, a food truck, a general store, an ice cream shoppe, and another campground. The general store sold bundles of wood for a couple bucks cheaper then the Campground Host, and the Huckleberry ice cream at the shoppe was a perfect summer treat.

I was in spot 78. It was a large spot with the river running about 200 yards behind it. There was enough room for several tents. The path to the river, led right to a private sand bar in a slow moving part of the river. Great for families. The bathroom was also fairly close to the spot.

The cons for this spot, the water and trash were very far away. If you were filling up anything more then a water bottle you would have to drive to fill up on water. There were also only a couple locations that had trash bins making it possible to walk to, but again if you had a large amount of trash or leaking trash bag you would have to drive.

Overall I highly recommend this campground, especially the spots near 78.

Spacious quiet spot

This snowpark has a big parking area with plenty of room for trailers/vehicles. There are bathrooms and a warming shelter that has a wood stove. The park is close to Crater Lake National Park anout 10ish miles down hwy 62. Nice pretty spot that is easy to get to. No hookups and no water available do be sure to bring it.

Awesome campground

Has yurts, bathrooms and showers. Right on the North Umpqua River—. Where salmon fishing is the thing to do. Great swimming area

Most Affordable NPS Campground Ever!

It was only $5 a night to stay here! Granted there was no running water and the only toilets were plastic portable ones but to camp in the incredible Crater Lake National Park that felt like a steal! Lost Creek is tent camping only and there are no fires allowed. There's only a handful of sites that were almost full by later afternoon. The sites are separated by low brush that doesn't provide too much privacy but also keeps the campground from feeling crowded. It's a quiet campground about 3 miles from the Rim Road. Another 4 miles down the road is are the Pinnacles, super cool formations left behind when the volcano erupted 7,700 years ago.

I visited mid-September and it was very chilly in the evening and early morning when the sun was behind the mountains. I woke up to a solid layer of frost and ice in all my water. There is water available throughout the park but campers are encouraged to bring their own form outside Crater Lake so as not to put pressure on the watershed.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking one of the ranger led sunset hikes up Watchman Peak. Or, if learning about history and nature along the way isn't your thing, walking up to the peak alone.

Relatively Quiet

I arrived mid-day in the middle of the week mid-September. There were lots and lots of campsites to choose from. The campground has several loops and is the bigger of the two campground in the park. Mazama is the only RV campground at Crater Lake. There are trails right near the campground and you can walk to Annie's cafe, a small and sparse general store, and a gift shop. Water and flush toilets are available. When I was there it was very chilly all day but especially at night.

beautiful river spot

I love camping here! Lots of trails to explore some with waterfalls, green and shaded, fish or swim in the river, lots of recreational activities nearby. Clean and well kept with spacious campgrounds. Awesome campground with full hookups, showers, picnic tables, fire pits, and a great location next to the river. Firewood available for purchase and the host was nice. Beautiful spot in the umpqua national forest.

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Ranger Review: TEPUI Luxury sheets - Kukenam 3 at Fish Creek Campground

Campground Review:

The drive to Fish Creek Campground on the 224 (Clackamas hwy) is beautiful. You’ll be surprised by sudden breathtaking views of the river along the way while delving deeper into a sea of beautiful green trees. We chose this campsite because it is reasonably close to a few of Oregon’s most interesting hot springs and we ended up visiting Bagby during our trip. The campsite itself has everything you would expect from a somewhat remote campground including a horrifying bathroom scene (not to mention the mouse that surprised me when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night). There are a few sites with river access but ours (spot 8) was blocked from the river with a small fence. There are also a couple of yurts you can rent that include bunk beds and some advanced shelter as compared to tent camping if you have kids with you. I’d give this campsite a 3 out of 5 stars, and can promise you there are many better sites along the way if you book early. This has everything you need for minimalist camping, but be aware that you probably won’t be able to start a campfire if you visit in August/early September.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I get to review some great and often very practical products. This trip I was lucky enough to upgrade my Tepui Kukenam 3 rooftop tent with Luxury sheets.

I chose the blue sheets to compliment my Haze Grey tent (the other option is green). I have to admit I was a little hesitant to admit that sheets could be a necessary part of camping. It is after all referred to as “roughing it” but I have to say that adding these sheets to my rooftop tent has made a huge difference. I put the bottom sheet on the first night and left it on when I folded the tent down for the night. It stayed in place perfectly, and these sheets are so much softer than the green, rough, water resistant cover that sits on the mattress by default. Now that I have these sheets I can’t imagine sleeping up there without them. I still used my sleeping bag along with the sheets and an extra blanket because it was pretty chilly at night, but the added comfort the sheets provided took my comfort to the next level. I highly recommend them to anyone sleeping in a rooftop tent!

Lot's of amenities

This park was filled with green lawns and very clean, new, showers. The Rogue River was very accessible. The campground was also full of people, mostly families with small children.

Beautiful, semi remote camping

Lovely place, lovely drive in. Spots are scattered and hard to find at night. Had dear running around while I was setting up the tent. Pit toilets, hiking close by, accessible in any vehicle.

Remote

This is a remote campround. It sits on a year round creek. You will most likely have the whole place to yourself. Beautiful hiking trails throughout the area. We like to camp here especially in the snow!

Home!

This spot can get VERY crowded in the summer, go during the week if you plan to camp here. There are no trash receptacles, so please plan on packing everything out. Running water is not available. Alcohol is not permitted, and punishable by law. Campfires are also not permitted during wildfire season. Amazing spot, please respect the area and leave it clean.

Mellow lakeside camp

A quiet family campground by an Oregon lake in southern Oregon, at about 4000 feet elevation that has fishing, water skiing, boating, hiking, biking and fantastic chocolate vanilla soft serve cones at the camp store. Close to Ashland, Oregon and the summer Shakespeare festival and Jacksonville, Oregon for the Britt Festival. A great relaxing RV camping spot, with electric, full hookups and hot showers.

EXTREMELY fancy and expensive RV Resort

EXTREMELY fancy and expensive RV-only park/resort affiliated with the Seven Feathers casino. RV spots only available. Nicely appointed drive-through spots on paved roads. Full hookups. Indoor clubhouse with workout area and indoor swimming pool, and obviously free shuttles to the casino. It’s as expensive as staying in a hotel. It is very nice, but it is not “camping.” It is a luxurious spot to park your RV and go to the casino.

Popular State Park Near the Rogue River

Popular state park on the banks of the Rogue River in Southern Oregon. Numerous RV camp loops with cement pads. Full-Hook-ups available, though sites are close together. There are a few that are near the shoreline of the river. Tent camping also available on-site, though the whole campground is near I-5 in that the main entrance is through a rest area. That said, it’s a well loved and well used park with nice facilities. When we were there the camp host was hosting a cool junior ranger program complete with a tent of nature artifacts and activities for the kids.

Nice, Free Casino Boondocking for RVs

Seven Feathers Casino, not too south of Roseburg Oregon, has two nice options for RVs near their casino. First is the "RV Resort" which has an indoor pool, very nice pull-through sports, etc. and will run you around $100/night.

Or, you can follow signs to the "dry" RV camping just on the east side of the casino. As far as free casino spots go, this is a pretty nice one. No construction, not too bad for highway noise all things considered. There's even a large green grassy area if you want to get out and stretch your legs.

It's for self-contained RVs only, so make sure you have water, bathrooms etc., though you can also eat dinner or what-have-you at the casino. Maximum of five days stay. Generators are prohibited 10pm-7am, which helps keep the noise down.

Pristine, Amazing Facilities, and Expensive

Just far enough off I-5 to avoid the traffic noise, the Seven Feathers Resort is absolutely spotless, pristine, and has really nice facilities such as eating areas, an indoor pool, lobby, etc. Spots are pull-through with grass and tables in-between. The staff is also very helpful and everything is immaculate.

The only downside, however, is the cost (and the reason for about 3.5 stars). Depending on what day of the week you are there (weekends are more) the standard price can range anywhere from 99 to $169 plus tax. If you're really into casinos (the resort's main attraction), I suppose you might as well go for it. But if you're just looking for a nice place to stay, that's a lot of money for a spot off I-5 in the middle of Oregon.

As a back-up, Seven Feathers also has a "dry" RV campground, which is basically a free parking lot. Obviously not as nice, but if you're looking for a spot to sleep in an RV for a night it's one of the nicer free sports.

Stinky

Nor sure why there was a nasty smell all night when I stayed near the end of May.

Clean and calm! But close to i5

Grest, clean facilities. A decent amount of space between campsites… But it is very very close to the interstate so its pretty loud at night. It is located on the river though, so that is nice!