Haileyville , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Haileyville Camping Reviews
Right off the highway and right off the Ouchita Trail

If you're near the end (heading west) or got a late start heading east, detour north towards Potato Hill Vista for a flat area with a stone fire ring near Highway 88/1. You can throw down your tent here for the night. The side trail even leads to a parking lot off the highway if you're driving and want a place to camp or want someone to pick you up a few miles closer than Talimena State park.

Quiet and Beautiful

We stayed at RV site #3 on Quarry Island. The concrete pad was perfectly level and took no time to set up. There were 5 RV sites with full hook ups on isle, even though #4 and # 5 are so close to each other that slide outs could bump into each other, and 2 very nice RV sites with only water and electric on the isle. There was also a lot of tent camping, flush and vault toilets, dump station, pavilion, 5 cabins, picnic tables with grills, boat ramp and swimming anywhere you wanted except for 150’ of the boat ramp. The ranger station was on the isle, so traffic was high at check in. There were 2 hiking trails that looked very nice, but never hiked because we were kayaking. My parents stayed in cabin #4 on the isle and my brother tent camped at Wister Ridge. The view from both of their places was breathtaking and his tent site was well shaded with maple, oak and pine. Fishing was very good and wasn’t a whole lot of boat traffic. There is also primitive camping which looked very nice, except for a couple of sites where the campers didn’t clean up too well behind themselves.

Pros: Beautiful area and amazing views. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Plenty of options for accommodations and outdoor activities. The Heavner Ruinstone and Spiral Mounds are close. Tons of wildlife areas and we even spotted a bald eagle. The campgrounds and cabins were very clean.

Cons: RV sites can be very crowded and not well spaced, especially at Victor Landing. The Wards would be the least crowded for RVs. The booking website is not very good and not very accurate. The cabins bed was not very comfortable, the shower was small and flooded the bathroom while using and the kitchen light and living room ceiling fan was on one switch, so there was no way to have the fan going without the light on. Not all RV sites have picnic tables.

Great Escape

I love this small park. It offers a lot of amenities, but overall it’s about the cave trails and lots of hiking opportunities. We went in the early fall so too cool to enjoy the small lakes but our campsite had great views of one of the lakes.

Beautiful place to get away

I love Robbers Cave. It’s one of my most favorite places to camp. There are over 40 miles of hiking trails and the views are incredible! I prefer to camp away from people and toilets don’t matter, I tent camp around Lake Wayne Wallace or Eagles Nest. Watch the trails bc you could end up on the horse trails and be very sad lol.

A Great Dispersed Camp in Ouachita

We were skeptical on this spot’s location, but it was very easy to locate (the road in/out has some tough spots, 4WD would be preferred). We camped 9/19/2020 and the spot was great. The previous visitors had left the spot a mess with beer cans and food wrappers (clean up after yourselves, folks!), but after clean-up it was the perfect spot. A small running creek lies at the bottom of a short downhill hike. Our closest neighbors were at least 300 yards away and we only knew they were there because we had hiked away from our camp and noticed their fire. Highly recommend this spot for anyone willing to be 100% off-grid (no cell service or nearby bathrooms). Be weary of the spiders (daddy long legs) and stick bugs everywhere! Harmless but creeped out the young one.

A hassle-free camping trip all around!

Usually when my friend and I go tent camping we have some hiccup in our plans—rain, damp firewood, lack of wood and ice to be purchased on site, trouble getting good maps, freezing to death at night, etc, but this trip really went without a hitch! They have a good website through which you can pick your campsite. We ended up with a pretty one by the creek that was more secluded than the others. It didn’t have a bathroom, but it was easy enough to drive over to the next site.

What is fun about Robber’s Cave is the variety of things to do. On our first day we went directly to the Cave area and enjoyed climbing on the rocks! Many views were pretty and the cave was not too puny either. The next day we explored more trails—one that was good and challenging—and then rented a kayak for the lake. It was only $5 for an hour! They’ve got mini golf, horse shoes, and a show cone stand to boot. The little camp headquarters also had plentiful ice and dry firewood to buy.

I guess if I have any criticism it would be that the bathroom was a bit dingy, but, heck, it had toilet paper! They also could have had better maps of some of the trails—we got just a little lost on one of the offshoot trails near the cave—but that’s what made it an adventure, really.

Great Fishing and fantastic sunsets.

We really enjoy Lake Wister. It is never overcrowded. Nestled in a ring of pine and oak covered mountains: the Sans Bois, Jackforks, Kiamichis and Ouachitas, lodging facilities at Lake Wister State Park include 15 cabins, RV sites with full hook-ups or some with water and electric only, and tent sites. They have a nice splash pad and miniature golf. Nice hiking trails. Lots of animals like raccoons, squirrels, skunks and deers. It is a very remote State Park. It is a nice lake with the most beautiful sunsets and bald eagles fly overhead. It is one of my favorite lakes. It has a big spillway damn with great fishing for catfish and crappie. I go to Lake Wister to catch fish for my fish fries, and to fill my freezer. The park has nice campgrounds with big whispering pines. They have a boat ramp, boat dock and fishing dock. The bathrooms do need to be updated. I love the little rustic cabins that overlook the lake. They were built around the 1940's I believe. They do have a full kitchen and provide coffee, linens and towels. They have heat, air, and fireplace with a fire pit and picnic table outside. Very reasonably priced.. The rangers and employees are very nice and helpful. The campsites run $16-$29 dollars. They give discounts to disabled, military and seniors.

Website: https://www.travelok.com/state-parks/lake-wister-state-park

Address: 25567 US Hwy 270 Wister, OK 74966

Park Office: Phone# 918-655-7212

Love it here

A little bit of everything for everyone. We prefer the more primitive sites. lake Ray Wallace and Eagles Nest campgrounds within the park are awesome. The caves themselves are great to hike to from I believe 7 different trails. We've gone 3 times already this year. They have an equestrian RV area, plus others dotted throughout the park, a swimming pool (which boggles my mind considering there is great lake swimming), playgrounds, mostly family environment.

Nice spots for car camping

Looked like there were four or five openings for a car or tent. I was the only one on the road the Friday night before Labor Day.

Also looks like there is a trail that starts at the road and connects to the Ouachita trail. I drove down to the state park about ten minutes away but saw it marked on the trail map while hiking.

why did I camp in July?🥵

Wasn’t able to spend much time here, but camped in the atv area and had an ok time. The sites were close together so there was very little privacy but it was quiet for the most part. No restrooms that I saw but there was water and electric. The drive to the park is less than fun. We were only 3 hours away but drive felt way longer due to slow country roads and construction. I doubt we’ll be back just because of the drive, but if it’s nearby it’s pretty nice!