The best WALK IN camping near
Mantador , NORTH DAKOTA

Most Recent Mantador Camping Reviews
Nasty water

Park is in the city but looks like the water coming from the spigots are pumped straight from the ground with no filtering at all. Water was a disturbing reddish brown color that instantly stained my sinks, toilets, etc. Electric hookups in my site were very loose and seemed sketchy but they did work for us. No shade except for one site. Sites very short and only a couple are remotely level. No on-site dump station, have to go to a gas station a few miles down the road and pay $5. We stayed here for a night while we visited family. If we were there any longer we would have found another campground to move to.

Clean, quiet, inexpensive

Camped one night in late August 2020. Paid$10. Clean, quiet campground with picnic table& iron fire ring/grill at each site. Partial shade. Friendly campers. Hand pump well water. Easy trail, but didn’t see much wildlife. Lots of flies. I would stay here again. See my video review on YouTube. Riding with Stymie

Dispersed camping

Oldest son and I hiked into the east side of the Sheyenne Grasslands on the NCT. We had parked at the Ekre trailhead, deciding to hike past the Ekre campsite. We set up our tent as soon as we got into the boundaries as a thunder and lightening storm began. The next morning we hiked the 3 miles into Jorgens Hallow, the actual campground on the Grassland. There we refilled our water, used the vault toilets and continued on our way on the NCT across the grasslands.

Campground Perfect for an NCT Section Hike

Lots of campsites here and not many of them being used this Memorial Day weekend (thank you, COVID-19). This allowed for a pretty distanced visit and relatively quiet experience in the middle of the country. If it was full, it could have been loud. Horses are also welcome here, so there are some horse noises that may be startling if not expected (clanking metal, etc). Great stargazing. Clean water and vault toilets. Great access to the NCT. Great signage. Well kept. I enjoyed my stay here.

BUsy campground alot to do

Busy/Full campground with alot of activities. Campground has canoe rentals, playground, beach, Disc Golf course, hinking path to an island and two boat docks.

Good roadside stop

Small, clean city campground. Decent bathroom/shower facilities. Electric sites share a pedestal between two sites, so think about which side you want to be on when you reserve on RA.

In the morning (6:30 am) we were met with a questionable hustler that didn’t appear to have a place reserved, moved to three different sites, and approached us with numerous mechanical and other questions (“How do I plug in my camper? Do you have an extra fuse? How much does a fuse cost?”. Not sure what that was about, but keep your guard up (always).

Beautiful Place

The tall grass prairie here is absolutely beautiful, and a rare place to be able to enjoy. There are two established campgrounds here, but dispersed camping is allowed anywhere on the property (with restrictions). It’s a very different kind of camping than I was used to in forests back east. It’s wide open here and cattle roam the land. It’s a great place to experience all the Great Plains has to offer for the outdoor lover.

Nice small campground

Nice quiet campground. For spots with electric, sewer and water you need to reserve online ahead of time. All primitive sites are honor system pay at box by entrance of campground. Not all spots have fire pits which is a downside. Bathrooms are good with coin operated showers. The town of Barnesville is very close with options for food, gas, ice or anything you might have forgot. There is a little swimming beach about 5 minutes from the campground.

Nice little little campground

Nice clean campground and hiking trails are taken care of. The sunsets are beautiful

Returned for a hike

Returned here just for a hike not to camp this time, we love it so much! Only saw 1 other group on the trail, did 5 miles out to Mirror pond, enjoyed lunch there and did the 5 miles back. Great activity for a sunny but chilly April Sunday!