The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Whitakers , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Whitakers Camping Reviews
Beautiful park for RVs and tents

Hibernia park on Kerr Lake, Henderson, NC has plenty of RV spots overlooking the lake. Some spots give you a personal sand beach. Many shaded sites for RVs and tents. We stayed Sun-Tues for a short getaway. Most Thurs-Sun were booked. Campsites on the loop in area 2 are large with plenty of space between campers. No issues with the water and electric at our site. We did not use the dump station at the front of the park. Park is incredibly clean. Rangers drive through several times during the day and right before the gate closes for the evening. Due to COVID the bath house was closed. Beautiful lake views with wildlife all over. Thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay!

Nice Corp Park

A one night stopover on our trip to the east coast. We stayed in a nice shaded spot B51 and other than it rained for 24 hours we did enjoy it. Lots to see and do here around the water.

Would love to come during summer

Stayed here while passing thru and this place was awesome! Got a site right by the lake. Could fish, swim, boat all from your campsite if you wanted.

Small, beautiful campground

We really, really enjoyed our stay here (end of Sept. 2020). It is a small campground on a really nice point/peninsula. The water is very clear! You can see probably about 5-6 feet down. We were on site #75, right on the shore line. Several sites are waterfront. (The section we were in did have a sign that said larger RVs might have difficulty.) There is a small playground, several sandy beach areas and a boat launch. Numerous picnic tables throughout the park. It was really quiet while we were there but we got the impression that during peak summertime, it's probably pretty crowded. The park has day use access. It's in the middle of "nowhere". An old general store is 5 min away (sells firewood, basic food items, some camping/rv supplies and some souvenirs like tshirts & hats). It has a deli/grill inside. None of the staff were wearing masks (just FYI). The closest gas station is 11 min away in the opposite direction of the general store. We loved it and can't wait to go back! (There was a huge rain storm just before we arrived so that's why there is some standing water in a few pics… particularly around the playground.)

Amazing park - Beware of Spot size with TT

This park is amazing. The majority of spots are water front or close to it. Many of have easy access to a beach. The lake is very clean, unlike some other lakes in NC, and absolutely beautiful sunrise or sunset. Spots are spaced out comfortably with gravel sites and the standard fire pit/grill, table and light hook. Be warned that the sites vary pretty widely in size and grade. We have a 32’ travel trailer that fit in spot 65 with no problem but there were many more that we could not fit in because of the steep grades. Many sites are really best suited for tents (which would be excellent sites) while others are open for Class As. Small bathrooms if you need them didn’t use them so can’t comment on cleanliness. Will absolutely be back.

Good People !

Decent Campground

My daughter needed to move out of her dorm at ECU and this was the closest campground that had a site available over Labor Day weekend. We were happy to be as close to her as we could get, and we appreciated being able to stay at this campground for 2 weeks.

This KOA is taking COVID serious, so during check-in they had us stay in the vehicle and call the office. A couple of minutes later, someone came out with paperwork and directed us to site number 2. When I got out to check the site, I noticed there was no sewer hook-up, so I asked one of the grounds crew guys who was nearby. He told me I was not on a full hook-up site.

I was pretty sure I had booked full hook-up because we planned to be there for 2 weeks, so I went to the office and asked. The owner proceeded to give me a lecture by about how I need to be more careful when booking on-line because their computer showed I only needed power and water. I asked the owner why he thought I would book a site with no sewer, if I planned to be there for 2 weeks. I had more I wanted to say about his attitude, but I bit my tongue because this was the only campground near where we needed to be. Fortunately, they had a full hook-up site available, so I was able to pay a few dollars more a night to ensure a comfortable stay. When I asked which site I was going to, the dude wouldn't answer me. Thinking he hadn't heard me, I asked again and he huffed. Then he said, "Don't worry about it, just follow my sister and she'll take you to the site." Again, I bit my tongue.

The sister took us to site 25 and after she gave us instructions concerning their very specific traffic pattern, she said, "I'm sorry about my brother." After reading other reviews of this campground, I'm pretty sure that was not the first time, and won't be the last time, she had to apologize for her brother's rudeness.

When we got to the site, we were happy to see it was extra long, so there was plenty of parking for the truck, the rig & my wife's car. The site was relatively level and the water and power were well maintained, clean & easy to access. The sewer hook-up, on the other hand was not ideal, as the pipe was nearly touching the leg of our neighbor's picnic table. I checked and sure enough the site on the other side of us had their sewer pipe right next to our picnic table. That said, the gnats were so bad at the campground that we didn't spend much time outside, so we barely noticed our neighbor's sewer line.

Cell service was excellent, which was good because WiFi was not ideal. They have satellite internet, so it was slow and barely accessible. They gave us passcodes for two devices, and the code is good for 3 days. So if you are there longer, you need to request additional codes.

The campground had one section for people who are there for extended stay - mostly construction workers doing nearby highway work. They were quiet and did not bother anyone. The rest of the campground was used by people passing through. The campground is close to I95 (there was no highway noise), so we seemed to have new neighbors every night.

All things considered, it was a decent campground and met our needs. I am not sure I would stay here for an extended time again, but if you're passing through or looking for a weekend getaway, the Enfield KOA will work.

Great ! Site #48

Roomy campsites, beautiful lakefront lots. Quiet, clean and peaceful. No hiking trails.

A decent place to stay

I found this to be a decent campground . I stayed at tent site 12. The site was slightly uneven but it had a fire ring with grate, lantern pole and table. The tent pad was gravel. Water pump, trash and bathroom all in very close proximity. The bathroom was clean and hot showers. Lots of families with children. There are many hiking trails but many were unavailable due to flooding. Trail from campground to picnic area and large grassy field used for relaxing, frisbee and picnics. Phone service spotty at times but not totally unavailable. Overall a decent place to stay.

Wow

I’ll be honest. I didn’t know places could be this awesome. We are beginning campers and this was beyond our expectation. The views are incredible. (Be sure to watch the sunset. We went in the fall and I’ve never seen colors so bright.) Most sites are waterfront with the possibility of a beach or at least a bulkhead with water views. Picnic tables and great fire pits at each site. Showers/bathrooms are not the closest to sites but if you don’t mind a walk they are not a problem. There are port o johns in one location also. So many water access points for fishing or entering the water for swimming or kayaking. Boat ramp on location at Kimball Point. Beautiful walking areas but no hiking or long trails. Pavilion area and open lake sitting areas were available. Our site had 50/30/20 amp and I’m assuming most do as well. The website didn’t say that and I see this app has 30 only. Pets were permitted. Park ranger drove around often. The most amazing Dollar General ever was about 10 minutes away if you need a quick trip. Everything from tents to giant fifth wheels were there so it’s a great place no matter what you have.