The best BOAT IN camping near
Half Moon , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Half Moon Camping Reviews
Very clean and fun

Great sites, fishing pier, playground great for kids, close to shopping and other stuff

A perfect fishing campsite that is 20 minutes from Atlantic beach

The 24 hour campground park ranger stays on the first site of the right side entrance. There is a oyster fishery nearby. You can gather your own wood as there are nearby paths to gather large and small wood. The cost is $10 per site and one site has a double pad for $20 a night. It is quiet and enjoyable. The nearby beach is Atlantic beach as 20 minutes and your at the beach. The campsiye is on the Pamlico sound Pamlico river. The driveway is a small dirt road and can be easily missed so slow down when entering.  We used a 6 person tent that had adequate space even with a dodge caravan to park in our space.

It’s a national forest...

This site is conveniently close to many beach attractions. To compare it to the local RV sites it so great in the aspect you are not on top of each other. The site itself for it being on “national park/forest land,” is “ok.” But in comparison to other national parks or federal land, it is barely a 3 star. It struggle in cleanliness and upkeep. The facilities are at best an “ehhh it’s food enough.” There are nice people here though that are making an honest effort, and who can argue with this places excellent location?

Good park

Great!

Love that it’s close to the beach. The bathrooms were very clean. I’m not a fan of the spot we received because we are a pop up camper surrounded by very bright and very large RV’s but if next time we get the back circle area where our camper belongs it will be wonderful.

Beautiful campground

This was a very nice, well maintained campground. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. We stayed from Aug 11-14, 2020. The pool was nice on a hot humid day. They have gem mining. You buy the bags of dirt in the camp store. The bathhouses are all very new due to a recent hurricane and they were kept clean. The dock/pier was picture perfect as the sunset over the Neuse river. The playground and jump pad looked like they would be a lot of fun but were closed due to Covid 19 restrictions. They had horseshoes and Gaga-ball that were open. They had 2 fenced in dog parks and a dog washing station. We chose this campground for it’s location near historical downtown New Bern and we would definitely recommend it to others. They have RV sites, tent sites and cabins.

Nice family park and Hiking Trail

We enjoy coming here with our family during the fall.

One of our favorites

Very family friendly, pool, nice clean sites, cabins, clean shower rooms, tons of activities for the kids and the staff are amazing!

Paddle In Sites

We stayed at site 14, which is on the other side of the island and is only accessible on a boat. We kayaked from the park office and boat launch. The route was difficult for me, the tide was coming in plus a strong wind, it took us about an hour to get to the island. The site itself was perfect, much better than the rest as much as we could see as we looked around. It's located in the woods with a nice shady clearing, its own very private little beach. We kayaked to the beach and walked around to see the ferry dock.

Make sure you know the tide schedule. The water levels are changing pretty dramatically during the day.

We also experienced a  lot of mosquitoes during the night on the island, but it probably depends on the weather.

The fires are not allowed on the island, which requires some thoughts around cooking and reheating food.

Overall I would say it was a very unique experience.

Peaceful Family Campground with Beautiful Sunrises

The great thing about this campground is that it offers a peaceful setting no matter whether you are camping in your travel trailer, a tent, or as a group. As a leader of the Boy Scouts and the Royal Rangers, I have camped here many times in large groups. We even had a campout here with about 300 boys. As a group campout, there was lots of room for activities planned by our leaders—paintball, scavenger hunts, and evening campfire services. With that said, one of my latest campouts was just with a group of friends. I think the best fun was fishing, although I really like kayaking on the lake. At this campground, you don’t have to worry about driving in tent stakes if you are camping in a tent. The soil is sandy, and the ground is usually covered with pine straw. When I wanted to build a campfire, there were plenty of sticks and limbs to start and build a campfire. There is a swimming beach, but I would be careful about where I step since there is sometimes goose poop on the sand. You can also rent canoes and pedal boats. There is a hiking trail as well, but make sure you have waterproof shoes if it has recently rained. The trail beside the lake gets really muddy. The price is reasonable, and the staff is friendly. This is a laidback campground in a rural area, so if you are in need of supplies, you’d better bring them with you. The bath house has a concrete floor, but it is well-maintained. I have camped at this campground over a dozen times, and it never gets old. That’s why it’s one of my favorites.