Gaston, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Gaston Camping Reviews
Great campground!

We spent one night here in April. It was great!

There are some pretty easy hiking trails, great for kids. Really beautiful wooded area. The campground was everything you could ask for! Large, level sites that are very secluded and far apart from each other. Bathrooms were clean and well situated. Very family-friendly!

We want to come back soon!

Beautiful views

We stayed at site 21 on the satterwater loop. It was a little steep for a roof top tent but we made do backing the truck in! The water was shockingly warm for October and the kids got their feet in! Highly recommend this area for families. A large field for the kids to run around play catch and a small play ground. My only complaint is late into the evening walking to the bathroom the one way road was fairly busy with a lot of big trucks and campers

Excellent

Excellent place, clean, friendly, nice boat access, great beaches, highly recommend

Great for the family

Nice park, lots of room for fishing, swimming and relaxing with the family. Clean facilities and awesome staff. Not recommended for anyone looking for solitude.

Touristy but neat

So this campground is pretty buildt up and touristy because of all the things to do around it. It’s got a big water park, cabins, trips down the river you can book, things like that. I personally prefer a little more wilderness when I camp, but it’s a pretty nice place.

The allure here for me was all the things to do around it. There’s the natural bridge which is a cool sight to see, there’s a safari that you can go on to see lots of neat animals, some cool hikes like devils marble yard and ceder creek trail. This area is an awesome way to get out and enjoy a weekend.

Small but lots to do

This is probably our favorite thus far. We like the lake and it’s easily accessible. We’re weren’t right on the water but can see the lake from the camper. It contains putt putt, pool, store, 2 beaches, dock, fishing areas, playground, and tons of shade. We’ll be back!

Nice lake views

Limited sewer hook up. Some sites uneven. Pull through sites available. Staff was wonderful. Stocked camp store, small grill, but great food.

Beautiful sites

First come first serve and we got a beautiful site overlooking the lake. The staff and manager are the friendliest ever. Would definitely come here again

The last summer with the guys

I absolutely loved Occoneechee the drive for me kills the my gas but it was definitely worth it the standard electric sites are in good shape and if your lucky on what your reserve you can get right on the water which is awesome until it’s 4:00 in the morning and the bass anglers are drive there speed boats but all in all this get a five star because the camps sites accommodated every me and buddies needs.

Great family site for lake-side camping

We stayed in sites 20 and 21 and they are are sloped, which makes tent placement a bit tricky but doable. Each of these two sites have rocky shore lines, which makes paddle-up camping a bit challenging but again, it’s doable. Sites 18 and 19 have beach fronts that are sandy and a bit more secluded from the main lake. There are common area spigots with fresh water and several lined trash cans shared between sites. There is room at each site to park at least two cars if not 3 and there are fire rings and composite picnic tables too. Sites are fairly close to one another so you’ll be about 25 yards from your neighbors in most sites. We reserved two sites to have a buffer…$23 a nite it’s worth the extra space.

We paddled into this site from Nutbush recreation area, and it was just about 4 miles one way. Nice little kayak camping trip.

It’s mostly families camping and was fairly quiet after about 11pm.

I would do it again but I think a bit of a flatter site would be better. There is also a boat marina about 1.8 miles south of this camp site in the event you bring gas powered watercrafts and need to fill up.
The photos from the lake’s shore were taken from site #20 with a shot looking left and one looking right.

Great weather for our trip.

We love this campground . Nice big sites and level , plenty of swimming areas around the lake.

Great yurt camping!

This was our first time staying in a yurt and we loved it!

Its like tent camping except you get to sleep in a bed. We stayed in September so the fact that there is no AC or electricity in the yurt was not an issue because the weather was moderate. Yurt 1 is a bit of a walk to the bathrooms, that is the only negative thing I can think of. The beds were comfortable. You have to bring your own sheets and pillows.  There is also a small table and chairs inside the yurt. Loved that there was no tent to pack up when it was time to leave! There  was a fire ring and picnic table outside as well as a large deck around the yurt with two rocking chairs. Driving around the campground, there are some fantastic waterfront sites in the same loop as the yurts that we'd love to come back and stay at! They have great views of Buggs Island Lake.

We did some hiking while we were there but there are not a ton of trails. We spent most of our free time at the splash pad. The kids loved that!

Overall this is a great little park! I only gave it 4 stars because there's not a ton to do.

Quiet beauty on the water

Hibernia is the lesser know campground on Kerr Lake since it is located more off the popular travel route. There are only a few sites with hookups. Most sites are tent and dry camping. Whether you have water frontage or woods, the sites are large and private. Our waterfront site had its own little beach where we could swim and launch our kayak. When we camped in the woods, the other campers were well spaced. The park staff dropped by every few days just to visit and share information. It was so peaceful. Lots of hiking and biking too. Great place for families since there is so much to do.

Fun for kids

Nice park. Kids friendly with lots of things for kids to do

Nice camp great for mountain bikes

Nice sites and great for mountain bikers

Great Lake camping with star gazing

This is a nice campground that is run by N.C. state parks and recreation. It seems to be less populated than some of the other state park hot spots, as in I was able to reserve a lake front spot for Friday the Tuesday before the trip. It does get dark enough there that you could see the Milky Way. I would have loved to share a picture but I was too relaxed just looking up at the stars. Many sites are lake front and you can choose between more lake shore/beach like camping or wooded lake camping. The large bathhouses are nice with large showers and the small toilet houses are less new but not bad, and allow you to never be too far away from a toilet. Both bathhouses and toilet buildings are in there own field so you do not end up being that campsite stuck right beside the bathhouses with random people walking through your site trying to find the trail in the middle of the night. Over all I would say it’s a great place to runaway to.

Too close to civilization

Was a pretty nice lake to visit once, but I never felt like I was out in the wilderness with the large freeways so close. Still, there were pretty coves to explore on the HUGE lake, and the campsites were very green and scenic - if a bit too close together. I liked hiking the trails, some of which had interesting historical markers. Renting a kayak took a lot longer than I'd expected, just because the rental office seemed understaffed to me. Would have loved this park if it were just a bit more off the beaten path, so to speak.

Meh

The list begins. Camp sites were alright but this place is more for RVs. Hiking was not bad but not very many miles. Outside the park was sketchy so make sure you have all you need.

Decent but cramped and loud

The lake was beautiful and the price was nice however it's RIGHT beside the race track and the races go on till midnight. The sites are very close together and uneven. It would be a nice quick stop place on the way to a nicer camp but I don't recommend making this place the getaway campsite.

This was more like a trailer park!

Not very clean. A race car track behind it with loud motors racing.

Rainy weekend

Rain all day.We went into Clarksville for lunch and shopping.

Small but lots to do

Nice place for the family

I will start the review by saying KOA is not my favorite. That being said. This was nice for the kids. They liked the pool and other activities. It is in the middle of a bunch of farm fields though. Not much nature around if that is what you like.

Amazing canpground/park

This was my first time hiking with my teen daughter by ourselves, setting up camp, tent, cooking, etc. Picnic table, fire pit w/grill, level gravel tent pad on site, water spigot and trash can right in front of camp site. Bath house had doors for shower stalls as opposed to curtains, with shelves and hooks for your things. We brought our furbabies with us and we enjoyed 2 or 3 wonderful trails with beautiful views, some rock climbing, just a wonderfully happy place. My girl rode her bike around the campground and it was perfectly safe. I've been waiting to get back for quite a while.

Lifetime of Camping

This camp ground is full of memories for me. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy the lake. Enjoy sitting around a camp fire. Enjoy walking to the bath house in the rain. Enjoy.

Lots of Great Hiking Trails!

This campground is beautiful for fall camping. There are over 10 miles of trails to hike. We also conoed down the creek. The creek is about 2.5 miles long and took us only 2 hours to paddle. The campground was also very clean!

Great lakeside sites

The “C” campground has RV sites that you can tent camp at as well that are site specific and lake front. Great for renting a pontoon boat or putting a kayak in the water. They have added a splash park for the kids which helps in the summer.

Great campground!

No cell service! 😀 Clean restrooms, hot showers! Camp host and rangers are great!

Awesome with lots of things to do.

We have a larger trailer so we had to stay in the equestrian area. There weren’t showers by us but there was 1 bathroom. The site is spacious and secluded although the few sites are packed into each other. There are smaller sites but are also closer together. Great place for biking, hiking, and being on the lake. They also have a new splash pad that the kids loved. While we were out there they had park personnel go over a few local birds of prey. We’ll be back!

Morden campsites, great setup

Updated campsites. Nice setup. Didn't stay long enough to comment more