Alliance, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Alliance Camping Reviews
Peaceful getaway

The campground is wonderful. There were plenty of spaces available during my stay (6/6-6/9), especially the field lots. If you would like a dunes site, get there just before or at checkout. Also, check the winds before setting up a tent (15mph winds added an hour to set up).

The campsite is very dark and quiet after 10p, which makes it very peaceful. Make sure you have a small flashlight ready for the late night run to the restroom, otherwise you may run into one of the grills.

The park ranger I checked in with was very friendly and informative, letting me know all the rules, including the wood fire ban during my stay. You will be asked to choose a few spots before you set up, so I would suggest looking at the map posted in the photos for possible locations.

The village of Ocracoke is two miles from the campground, about seven from the Hatteras ferry. If you forgot or don’t have room to bring your bike, many places in town have bikes for rent by the day, and many told me I could ride and keep the bike out at the campground.

If you are looking for a getaway from everyday chaos, definitely stay on the island and at this campground.

Best Place Ever

Beautiful and clean. Primitive showers, but hey…You're on an island. Bathrooms, clean drinking water. Can hear the ocean from your site. Markets close by. Delicious fresh caught seafood.

Fishing Oriented

We stayed at Tranters Creek while we visited Greenville NC for a graduation. The campground was 20-30 minutes from the college so it was an ideal place to stay. There seems to be a lot of permanent type campers set up there and most of the campers seem to be there to fish. The campground itself was clean. The bathrooms were also clean and stocked. Since we were there in early May there wasn't a lot going on but we did stop by the campground yard sale. Overall there doesn't seem to be much to do unless you fish. There is a pier but they don't sell bait at the campground store and you must have a fishing license.

OH! Make sure you adhere to the speed limit!

Pretty pleasant

This was my first visit, I plan on going back so I will update as I learn more about this site. There are RV and primativr sites. They are literally right next to each other. The RV sites have power and water hookups, fire pit, and picnic table at each site. The RV sited are also numbered. The primitive sites are not so well kept. They are not clearly marked and no dedicated fire pits. There is a little highway noise pollution, but not terrible. There is a free onsite dumpster. Fires are allowed. I had alcohol one night without any hassle. Showers/restrooms available on site are free. You pay by the day (in cash or check) at the Nature Center (during banking hours Mon-Thurs I believe). Prices are fair ($10 primitive site and $20 RV site). Campsite is riverfront (keep in mind for the bugs). I didn't see or hear much wildlife aside from an owl, a rat snake, and one good sized spider. Campgrounds are pretty clean. There is a large communal fire pit with plenty of seating and little private-ish decks overlooking the river. There is free wifi. Multiple people had their pets with them. Good cell phone reception with Verizon.

Pretty pleasant

This was my first visit, I plan on going back so I will update as I learn more about this site. There are RV and primativr sites. They are literally right next to each other. The RV sites have power and water hookups, fire pit, and picnic table at each site. The RV sited are also numbered. The primitive sites are not so well kept. The are not clearly marked and no dedicated fire pits. There is a little highway noise pollution, but not terrible. There is a free onsite dumpster. Fires are allowed. Showers/restrooms available on site are free. You pay by the day (in cash or check) at the Nature Center (during banking hours Mon-Thurs I believe). Prices are fair. Campsite is riverfront (keep in mind for the bugs). I didn't see or hear much wildlife aside from an owl, a rat snake, and one good sized spider. Campgrounds are pretty clean. There is a large communal fire pit with plenty of seating and little private-ish decks overlooking the river.

Can I live there?

Ocracoke was wonderful in so many ways. Huge sites, only sand dunes separating you from the beach. Each night, the crashing surf lulled us to sleep.

The toilets and sinks are in nice, new buildings. Great facilities. The shower stalls, on the other hand, were by themselves, in the middle of each loop. The stalls are not housed in a building, just open in the middle of the field. (Felt like Petticoat Junction, if anyone else is an old time like us.) Water is only cold, we knew that ahead of time. Doors on shower stalls would not lock, and there's nowhere to put your dry clothes, etc.

No shade in the campground,  so prepare to create your own.

We loved it and look forward to returning.

Several ferries service the island. On the south side, two paid ones, on the north side, the ferry is free.

Peaceful and remote

Oyster Point Campground is no frills. But vault toilets were well maintained and cleaned.

Campsites are large and spread out. Logs were at each campsite when we arrived,  great for firewood or for seating around the campfire.

Campground sits along a body of water, but no water access from any sites. At the entrance to campground there are hiking trails.

Area is remote. Closest shopping was more than 10 miles away.

Host was friendly and personable.

Highly recommend and will return again ourselves.

Clean + easy access

We stayed here while visiting friends in Swansboro. We had to pay full hook up prices even though we were just tent camping but that wasn’t a huge deal. The area was kept really clean (bathrooms could use a little TLC) loved the views on the hiking trail which was close to the camping sites. Dog friendly! Our kids loved it. Beaches in driving distance.

Great family owned campground.

Nice laid back atmosphere. Great amenities such as swimming pool, basketball court, boat ramp and docks. Great fishing at Ophelia Inlet.

Great little hidden spot

Situated on Lake Mattamuskeet, beautiful sunsets. Bath houses on site. There’s even a small boat ramp for small skiffs. Fire pits and wood was provided. There are also camper spots & campers available to rent. Enjoyed our stay. Great fishing in the area.

Great spot to enjoy the island

I camped here for almost a week with a friend and our dogs. The location is fantastic. Everything is walking distance… restaurants, shops and the marina. The owner was very nice and helpful. Be aware the campsites are very close together. The only negative point is that there are just 2 bathroom stalls for the entire campground but they were very clean and the shower has hot water. The campsites on the edges have shade for tents. Each site has a picnic table and a charcoal grill but campfires are prohibited. The RV's are parked mainly in the middle.

Great Experience

We failed to call before closing! Took a chance and stopped anyway. No answer at the after hours phone number! A Huge Thank You To Paul & Linda who were out on their golf cart and stopped, made a call, let us in and showed us where to park. A very nice park, well maintained, all the sites were clean and had excellent shower facilities.

Primitive camping on Shackleford Island

We had an awesome trip. The ferry operators were great, they answered all our questions and helped us load and unload our gear. The island is almost completely absent of anything man made, just sand dunes and horses. We found a site with a beautiful view of Cape Lookout lighthouse. We had three young male horses that were always roaming within sight. They even walked close by our campsite. The last night had the most amazing sunset that lit up the lighthouse and the clouds above with beautiful pinks, purple and blues.

Favorite place to camp!

Absolutely love this campsite! It’s clean, quiet, and the views are hard to beat!

Hear the ocean all night - if you can stand the mosquitoes

Pros: this campground has a little more privacy than some of the other Cape Hatteras National Seashore ones. You can hear the ocean all night, and the campground itself is pretty quiet. Showers are free, but water is not heated.

Cons: the amenities are outdated, especially the showers. The mosquitoes are horrible here; in addition to being right by the ocean, the centers of the loops of the campground are grassy fields, and I think that's why there are so many mosquitoes. It was so bad, I couldn't even stay outside to prepare dinner after dark - I had to go into town for a meal.

Given how bad the mosquitoes were, I likely wouldn't stay here again. But it is a very pretty campground.

Great location along the shore

Loved camping here, just a short walk to the beach. Quite and had on site washer and dryer for all your laundry needs

Mostly pocosin and wet lands

Lots of trails and beautiful pines. Pitcher plants and Venus fly traps, Camp any where you want, Bring everything because it is not a campground as such. Wilderness area Lots of mosquitoes

Open and on the water.

Not much privacy and close to the water. Lots of people come there to picnic who are not camping. Close to a main highway. No trails but lots of open beach.

End of the county campground, being improved, secluded

This is a place nice to stay- if you want quiet. You can fish in the Pamlico sound, take the ferry to ocroake, rent their horses to ride or boats. Need extra long sewer, water and power cords. Utilities are not in a convenient location. Very sandy location. Coins to keep the camper clean

Fantastic for beach lovers

It't beautiful and has a bathhouse. Sleeping on the beach sand is so comfortable. Fall or spring is are great times to go. There is a very short walk over the dunes to get to the most beautiful beach in the whole world! There is the really sweet town of Ocracoke to visit just a very short drive from the campground. Ocracoke is were Blackbeard was captured which is also a fun draw to the island.

Great Island Cabins and Camp, Cape Lookout, NC

Great Island has become my family's favorite places, having The Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Core Sound on the other of this narrow barrier island is our paradise, It is boat in only and only 4 wheel drive accessible, no paved roads. You can camp on the beach or stay in one of the NPS cabins. Abundant wildlife, empty beaches, our kind of heaven in the summer months, hot fishing spot in the fall.

Let the dark skies and sounds of the waves take you away!

This is a favorite spot - among the dunes and in a tent. The basic sites are clean and the facilities are fine - cold shower only.

But….the key is the location. You are right next to the ocean and it's not overrun with people.

Go here and don't tell anyone!!!

Very nice campground and full of wildlife

Great birding including Chuck-will's-widow, Croatan Nat Forest, close to Cape Hatteras and Hatteras Island by ferry. Nice breeze, morning fog is usual.

Rustic beautiful site on the ocean

This is a park wit no power or shade. Sand flees and bugs are plentiful. Cooler seasons are perfect and this is right on the ocean. Bath houses are adequate

State park, clean and in the ocean

No power, water or hookups. Bath house decent, and on the ocean. Take plenty of bug spray. View is stunning. Just be sure you know it’s on an island, and read the tide tables so you aren’t surprised. Enjoy!

Quiet nice place to relAx

We stayed here last year and it was relaxing. Boat ramp and hiking close by.no frills park

So clean and steps to the beach!!!

We absolutely loved our stay at this rv park. Steps to the beach. Could watch dolphins from the overlook. Super clean and staff were always so friendly. Pool was super nice. I always recommend that friends stay here when traveling.

Peaceful and gorgeous

I camped two nights at Ocracoke in a corner spot tucked in between the sand dunes. It was absolute heaven on earth. I could walk over one small dune and be on the beach. The showers do NOT have hot water, so be prepared for that. It wasn’t a big deal for me, but if you’re traveling with kids it could be difficult. My favorite thing about this campground was the layout of the sites – many of them were very private with small dunes separating them, so you don’t feel like you’re just camped out in a field surrounded by other people. All in all, it was an ideal camping experience and the short drive into the town of Ocracoke is totally worth it. So many great things to see in do in a picturesque little Outer Banks town.