About Mile High Campground
Hike In
Mile High Campground is located in North Carolina
8 Reviews of Mile High Campground
It's rustic

A very quiet campground that does allow you to have a fire in your campsite. There is wood for sale. The bathhouse is very nice. The views from most of the sites are breathtaking.

Campground Close to Smokies and Blue Ridge Parkway with Great Views

This campground is about views. It doesn’t have water or electric hookups. It doesn’t have sewer hookups. It doesn’t have a swimming pool, playground equipment, an entertainment pavilion, or any of the other things many campgrounds and RV resorts have. The biggest attraction for Mile High Campgound is the view, but I guess I should say views(plural). The campground is adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but there is a long approach road to lessen any traffic noise—not that there would be any anyway. It seems to be situated on a ridge, so it offers different views in several directions. The host was nice and suggested that I pick a site before paying. I camped during the week and when it was cold, so I had a good choice of sites. She highlighted the available ones with the best views, and it was difficult to decide which one I liked best. I chose one with a view of a sunset rather than one with a sunrise, knowing I might not get up early enough to catch the sun rise. You can expect it to be at least ten degrees(or more) colder than down in the valleys. There is a reason it is called“Mile High.” This is a primitive campground, and there are no hookups that I know of. There is, however, a bath house with flush toilets and showers. The bath house is a bit rustic, but it serves the purpose. Some people might not like that it has a concrete floor and just one stand up sink, but again, it serves its purpose. There are also“toilet facilities” at opposite ends of the campground since it is a long, narrow campground. Since I forgot to take any firewood, I bought a bundle of kindling for$5.00. I knew I wouldn’t have a long fire anyway. As I mentioned earlier, there are no modern amenities like a swimming pool, playground, or recreation hall. Did I mention that this campground is all about the views? There is a platform for viewing the sunsets close to the camp office. The campground is within a short driving distance of several waterfalls, places to view elk, Harrah’s casino, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, so sticking around the campground all day is not something you probably want to do. The towns of Maggie Valley and Cherokee are close, so if you like shopping, those towns have several quaint shops and other attractions. Overall, this campground is a pleasant campground to stay in because of the peace and quiet and the beauty.

Heaven’s Window

This is the most beautiful campground I have ever been to. Each campsite is huge and surrounded by trees so you barely know that there are other campers. The view of the mountains from your campsite is unbeatable. Running water and sinks by the bathrooms so you can wash dishes. Hot showers and flushing toilets. Very clean. Family run campground. A warning though, the fog on the mountain is intense if you are driving it early in the morning or late at night. And elk are everywhere! Amazing place!!!

Greateat views

Hot showers, bathrooms and some of the the best views in the Smokies.

Brilliant views

Nice campground hosts, firewood on site, good showers. Amazing views from the campsite and the nearby blue ridge parkway.

The scenery is beautiful at Mile High Campground. It has delightful warm showers!

Amazing View!

The gps did get us to the right place! A narrow BIA road leads up to this charming rustic campground. $5 firewood, unbeatable views, hot shower, and flushing toilets! Perfect for our family of 5. Get there before dark to see the sunset or call ahead for weekend/busy times. We drove in on a weekday and got lucky but many more drove in after dark. Wildlife is abundant but they run dogs on some nights to deter bears. Boys and our pup all had a good night’s sleep. PS- They prefer a 2day minimum stay but are amenable.

BEAUTIFUL Views from most sites

This campground has 38 Tent and RV sites, 6 Tent only sites, and 4 Cabins. Most sites have amazing unobstructed views. It was $25 a night to tent camp for 2 people. We stayed at Site T-0, and the views were amazing. Our friends stayed at Site 1, and they also had amazing views. The campground is a short drive off the Blue Ridge Parkway. All sites have a fire ring and a picnic table. The campground had hot showers, and an outdoor sink. Call in advance to reserve a site, this place books up fast.