Campground
Myron C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2019

Peaceful Campground beside the South Yadkin River and in the Country

This campground is off the beaten path, literally. It is out in the country, and without a GPS, I would have had a difficult time finding it. I had written the directions down from the website, but at night, it takes some maneuvering to look at directions and find country road signs in the dark. The campground is close to its namesake town of Hiddenite, which is a famous gem mining area known for gemstones such as hiddenite (spodumene), emeralds, sapphires, etc. I didn’t realize when I got to the campground that it also was a place for people to come watch their Christmas lights display. All of the mobile homes and RVs were lit for a beautiful display. When I first tried to book a reservation, I had to fill out an online request. After two days, I hadn’t heard back and I was going in that direction on my way home. I decided to take a chance. I stopped at the entry to what I think was the campground/Christmas lights display entrance. After a few minutes, a gentleman came out to ask me if he could help me. I told him I had contacted the campground two days ago, and after that I followed his golf cart to where he showed me a few places I could park my teardrop for the night. It had water, electricity, and sewer, as most of the sites do, and it was close to the creek. It had rained quite a bit a few days ago, so the grassy site was soft with ruts. They do allow tent camping, which is good to know for future reference. It appeared to me that most of the other campers here were permanent residents. When I went to the bath house, I was told the ladies’ bathroom was not working, so if I hear a woman in there I would know why. Most of the campers, however, would be using the facilities in their own RVs/trailers. During the summer, the bath house wouldn’t be so bad, but it was cold and there was no heat. The concrete walls made it feel even colder. There was hot water, however, but I chose not to take a shower there since I was only three hours from home and I would be leaving the next morning. The floor needed sweeping and somebody left beard hair all over the one sink. The host was very nice, and the campground served my needs for an overnight stay. There are a swimming pool and a playground for children. The road coming into the campground is dirt as was the road within the campground. There are shady spots in the campground with pull-through and back-in sites. Although the Christmas lights were on until I went to sleep, it didn’t seem to bother me that much, and other than the synchronized Christmas music, it was quiet. It would be interesting to see how the campground is during the summer.

• Upon arrival, I was surprised to find out that the campground was also a festival of lights.
  • This is the campground office.
  • Christmas lights at the campground
  • Most of the other campers at this campground were either seasonal or were in large RVs; however, I felt welcome in my little teardrop camper.
  • If I had been in a tent, I think the lights would have bothered me, but I was in my little teardrop.
  • Play button icon
  • There is a playground at the campground.
  • The bath house has concrete floors, but it has all you want for basic hygiene.
  • There is a swimming pool, but in December, I didn't want to try it out.
  • Laundry Room
  • The South Yadkin River was close to my campsite.
    Play button icon
  • Overlooking the River
  • Picnic Shelter?
  • Even though the floors are concrete, at least there are mats in the showers.
  • My kitchen is ready at the campground.
  • A fourth grader won an essay contest when she wrote about the campground.
  • Getting to the campground is by way of several country roads and this dirt road, which has a few potholes.