Site 65 -- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Myron C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Aug. 1, 2021

Great Backcountry Site for Solitude

Site 65 is hike in only, but it has space for at least three tents. It is not for RVs or travel trailers. However, it is a great place for solitude and fly fishing. Unfortunately, I didn’t reserve any time for much of that. However, it is a great place to get away from the crowds. I was surprised that it had a picnic table that far back into the wilderness. I hiked at least a mile along the Benton-MacKaye Trail to get to the site, and it was a gradual uphill climb most of the way. There is a small sign at the bridge pointing to the trail, so I took it. I don’t think it was officially the start of the trailhead. It was very steep and descended down under the bridge. I recommend that you don’t try this. There was another sign that pointed in the opposite direction, and I didn’t take that one because I didn’t know how far it would take me before I would be going in the correct direction. I decided to take the longer route on the way back, however, because climbing back up the shortcut would be very difficult on tired legs.

The site itself is about one-tenth of a mile off the main trail, and there is a small stream crossing. The site is fairly level and has a couple of fire pits. One of the three sites is only large enough for one small tent, but the other two sites was big enough for my large tent. Since it is in a forested area, there was plenty of shade and places to set up my hammock.

Overall, I highly recommend this campsite because of its solitude and the pleasant sounds of Noland Creek.

• All Set Up
  • Community Picnic Table
  • Cross under the bridge to get to the trail.
  • When you go, don't take the shortcut.  it is STEEP!!!!!
  • Noland Creek runs beside the trail.
  • Trying to get my fire started
  • Noland Creek