Phoenicia , NEW YORK

Most Recent Phoenicia Camping Reviews
Amazing weekend getaway

Even the rain couldn't ruin this weekend getaway. The spring water source is a short hike back from the campsite, relatively convenient to restock from camp. Thought I heard bears come through overnight, but may have been a lucid dream. Bear can was undisturbed in the morning. First trip to the catskills but will definitely be back!

Nice place

Quiet and nice grounds.

Best camp site I ever seen.

Yes you can camp on top of the mountain. Yes you can make a cap fire. Yes you can star gaze by the views near the camp. Yes it’s amazing. It take the average hiker about an hour ish to get to camp/ledge view. This one is one of my favs.

Pretty rad even when full

So close to the city you just can’t beat it. We found a cancellation for one of the group camping spots—63—(at half capacity due to Covid precautions), which was pretty delightful, if not that private. Sites 43 and 45 seem to be some of the best locations and most private while still near the bath house. Plenty of firewood to forage if they run out at the (charming, storybook) reservation cabin. Walk across the road down to the “beach” and take a dip. We’ll be back on a less crowded weekend.

Not bad

I have given this place a higher rating in the past but having returned multiple times I have to lower it. The positives are: the grounds are very well kept, most sites are a very nice size, owners are pleasant, very quiet and relaxing. If you have kids there is not a lot for them to do. As for the lack of stars…the owners are pleasant but are constantly policing everyone, I have been reprimanded (yes I mean reprimanded) because my dog was walking on the grass (on a leash), it seems they like it if you stay on your site at all times. all but one of the seasonal campers i encountered and was camping near are very rude, not all are well kept, one even mowed the grass at 730am on the site next owers paying no attention to my dog who was tied out or that he was shooting debris all over me and my stuff. The price is too high and the over all tone has gotten very odd. I MAY try again next year to see if it got better but could only tolerate once this year.

Nice, Free, Primitive Campground

There are three campgrounds (upper, middle, and lower field) and a trailer field for a total of 24 campsites. Calling them “fields” might be misleading - they’re heavily wooded areas by a river. I slept in the middle field. On a Wednesday night in early September I had the whole campground to myself. Quiet, next to a lightly trafficked road. There was a port a potty. Campsites in middle field are just clearings with fire pits and nothing else. Soft ground for staking a tent. Very few bugs. Good water access with the river. At the middle field, you have to walk 200+ feet from the parking lot to your campsite, so just be prepared to carry your stuff. I got there long after dark: had to stumble around a little in the dark to figure out where the campsites were, but it wasn’t too bad. Highly recommended.

Dispersed primitive camping

Great camping spots about 1.5 mile hike in from Denning Trailhead. A lot of spots right by the river. Great spot to camp and then wake up to hike to tabletop/ peekamoose mountain. (near the top of tabletop there is also a lean-to for camping).

Easily accessible primitive campground

This was a good campground for a base point for hiking around the peekamoose area. I stayed in the middle field campground site #6 (which is the worst spot on that field). BUT  the other sites are nice right by the river, and there is plenty of privacy between spots. It is not remote though (road is right next to you so you hear cars/ can see 1 house with lights, although I had no service). There was 1 portapotty. Overall it was nice because it was an easy walk-in site. First come first serve.

Beautiful and convenient

There are 75 campsites here. About 20 are around the actual pond waterfront. The others are clustered closer to the ranger’s office. The north campsites are more private but walk up only. That’s where we stayed. Equipped with very large bear boxes to store your equipment and we had no problem fitting our 55L cooler in there. Also the north campsites have their own outhouses. But we walked to the public area anyway. (5min walk max) the paths are smooth and well maintained. Public Facilites were clean and warm showers were available. Nice beach area with rentable watercraft. Dog friendly except in public use space. Few trail heads in the area. Loved the staff.

Awesome Camping!!

This was my first time at Mongaup Pond and we loved it. The place was all booked and we got lucky with a cancellation at a premium site on the lake. It is such a beautiful place and so nicely done. The sites are not on top of each other and mostly separated with some kind of brush or bushes. Lots of places to hike and play. It’s was Late September so it was a little to cold to use the lake, but it didn’t matter, we had a great time. Can’t wait to go bback on the Spring.