The best WALK IN camping near
Deferiet , NEW YORK

Most Recent Deferiet Camping Reviews
Perfect for Thanksgiving

I headed up to Wellesley Island state park for the long Thanksgiving weekend with three teenagers (one girl and two boys). We rented cottage A, which was clean, spacious, warm and fully stocked with everything we needed. The fire pit outside was the only disappointment as it was well below ground level (on a sloping hill) so tending the fire was a difficult process and cooking on it was challenging. The Nature Center was open and lovely and every Saturday (even in off season) they organize hikes. The park itself was incredible - highly recommend the Eel Bay trail, which will take you past the glacial potholes a d along the striking coastline. We also checked out the North end of the park, near the marina and will probably go back in the summer and rent a cabin over there. There’s a store, laundromat and arcade, but all were closed either due to the time or year, or covid. Litter is a problem throughout the park which is really sad. We did our best to clean up what we could, but someone should organize a clean up, especially because lots of it must make it’s way into the St Lawrence :( The staff we met were all really friendly and helpful. The towns surrounding the park are economically struggling and we had to drive quite far to find a grocery store that was open. All restaurants within a 20 minute drive were closed for the season. We’ll definitely be back!

Nicks Lake

Awesome campground

Dispersed camping on stillwater reservoir

Primitive site on the beautiful south eastern end of Stillwater. A short hike in to a great beach for swimming or paddling.

We’ve stayed here many times in tents and hammock tents. The swimming is fantastic- water is clean and clear.

Because you can’t make a reservation here sometimes there’s competition for a spot. There is a good fire circle with space all around. The trail down to the beach is only about a hundred feet, but it is downhill.

This site is close to the trailhead for the Stillwater firetower, an original Adirondack firetower.

Primitive dispersed camping. 1/4 mile walk in, lovely quiet lake

This is a small primitive site. No services, but a very beautiful spot. There’s a small fire ring, and access to the lake for swimming or fishing.

Sunday lake has always been lovely and quiet and a great place to take youth campers.

Take Stillwater rd. to McCarty road, the trail is 0.3 miles To Sunday lake. Space to park two cars or a small RV off the road.

Small and completely gorgeous! Beach, wooded sites, great for everyone.

Soft Maple is a truly gorgeous small campground. Only about a dozen sites or so, first come first serve. Level sites for RVs or tent or hammock camping. Each site has a nice space with fire ring and picnic table. The beach is lovely and clean. There’s boat access for canoes and kayaks as this is part of the Beaver River route.

The entire campground is accessible, with gravel pack paths, and level sites.

Charlie is the caretaker here and everyone says he is the nicest person you’ll meet.  You can’t beat site number 11 for the perfect mix of treelined and water view!

There is space for RVs and a dump station but the sites do not have power or hookups.

If you come in to the campground from “number 4 road” (aka state rt. 26) it’s exactly five miles from the Left turn on to Soft Maple rd. If you have time, stop halfway- the 2.5 mile mark will bring you to the entrance for Eagle falls, a short hike with a fantastic reveal.

unclean, sites on top of each other

This campgrounds is used by my family and friends for years for a fishing tournament.  I don't often attend but I did this year.  The bathrooms didn't look clean at all.  At best, they look like they are cleaned weekly.  The toilet seats looked like they were stained from lack of proper cleaning.  The showers looked grimy as well.

Rip-off

*If you like RV resorts and places where people drive around in golf carts, disregard my review, you will  probably love this place

OK, I hadn't planned to stay in an RV resort, but was unpleasantly surprised to find that the two nearby state parks I had hoped to stay at were not accepting campers without reservations in September 2020.  So I was kind of desperate for a place to stay after a long drive.

So I found this place nearby.  They gave me a tent spot for $70 (?!).  About 10 yards to the next campsite in either direction, zero privacy, although luckily all the other tent sites were empty, because I was the only tent camper fool enough to stay here.  The campsite was also right on a road, with vehicles and golf carts whizzing by all the time.

The place is really more of a cottage/mobile home community, although there were also some RVs while I was there.

The only reason I've given this place two stars instead of one is that it is on Lake Ontario, although of course don't expect to see the lake from your over-priced tent site.  They also don't allow dogs on the beach.

Probably the worst-value, and worst, place I've ever stayed, for what I was looking for.  Again, if you like RV resorts, please disregard my review, you'll probably love it.

Gorgeous park to explore a natural gorge!

Whitaker park is such a fabulous place to spend a picnic day or stay for a few! Wide open flat fields for kickball or baseball and a view of the Adirondack foothills, spread out a blanket and read, play on the jungle gym or cook a great lunch on the grills at the pavilion.

Clean bathrooms with showers, sites for tents and rv’s, and a breathtaking trail to overlooks and waterfalls.

Sleepaway camp, family camp, day use

Beaver Camp (or, officially Adirondack Mennonite Camping Assoc.), is a classic summer youth sleep-away camp on Beaver Lake. Sleeping in cabins with bunk beds, swimming, canoes, and a high ropes course, gathering around the campfire to end the day- Beaver Camp has it all.

Weekend and week long programming for youth and families, or site rental of cabins and platform tents is available, as well as day use access to the beach and high ropes course.

This camp is a great way to access a beautiful area in a way customized for your family!

Big campground with plenty to do

This campground is massive and the park is beautiful. We stayed in the C loop at site # The site was large enough to fit our 27’ camper and had ample room off the side for entertaining. (We were able to set up 2 canopies, have our awning fully extended, set up a 6 person tent, an area for the kids to play on and area for corn-hole). This site has electric hookups. There is a water Spicket near by but you need at least 150’ worth of hose to reach it. Just a short walk from the campsite you’ll find a pleasant little cove-like beach. Within the park you’ll find a general store that offers laundry, soft serve ice cream and an arcade, a beach for swimming, a large marina, and even a nature museum (which has fantastic walking trails near by) Each loop seems to have their own unique playground which are large and well built. Off the island we visited 2 wineries (the Thousand Islands Winery and Coyote Moon Winery)