The best WALK IN camping near
Argyle , NEW YORK

Most Recent Argyle Camping Reviews
small and friendly State Park with plenty of things to do

Drove in on a whim and were pleasantly surprised by how well the staff accommodated us. We managed to get a prime leanto site right on the river. We were only there for an overnight but we will be back

You should camp here!

We stayed here for 2 nights in July. Everything was very clean. Our site felt secluded even though there were other people camping nearby.

quaint but muddy

The park is a quaint little place that reminds me of an older state park. No full hookups, sites are decently sized for the most part. The roads within the park are very narrow and washed out in places. The 30 amp electric had high voltage and my surge protector wouldn't let it through, I used the 50 amp instead and it was fine. The sites are all dirt and it rained all day and it turned to all mud. Some sites were underwater. The staff was extremely friendly and check-in was quick and easy(lucky, since it was pouring rain). It was very quiet but it was off-season and during the week. My Garmin put me about 1/2 mile away from the entrance. Look for the little blue"Mt. Greylock" signs to guide you down the dirt road to the camp entrance.

large campground on a beautiful lake

Located at the northern end of Lake George and about 7 miles south of Ticonderoga, Rogers Rock is a boater’s paradise. I was here midweek, so it wasn't packed, but I image when it's full that it may be noisy - and not just from the people. Look carefully at the map when choosing your site. Many of them are near the main road. Sites aren't particularly level or large. Cell phone coverage is spotty, I was getting 1-2 bars with Verizon.

There's a boat inspection station, boat ramp, and mooring as well as a beach. Ticonderoga offers some history and is worth a half-day visit. Lake Champlain isn't far away, either.

Perfection.

I wish I could pick up this campground and take it with us. We had Site 01, a very spacious riverside site with water and electric. There were sites in either side of us, but far enough away to feel private. Across from our site is a large open field with a volleyball net and playground. They even have a fenced in dog area where dogs can go off leash. The owners were extremely helpful and wonderful people. Will definitely be back!

Easy tent camping

Stayed here for a night with a group of friends prior to heading up to the AT. It was late fall, so things were quiet and we weren't using all the amenities. But it was exactly what we were looking for. Easy to park and setup the tents, we had an RV spot so there was power, and a nice little fire pit. Bath house was a short walk and had no problems.

Awesome place for camping

Must be prepared :)

Not My Favorite

We stayed on T67 over Labor Day weekend. This was listed as a prime waterfront site, which is what we look for so that we can launch our kayaks from our site. The map showed a short trail to the water, but it was a 40 foot drop in elevation. We still managed to get our boats down there and lock them up at night near the water. Our site was a tight squeeze for our 8 man tent, 4 man tent and an EX Up over the picnic table.  The campground is in good shape. Clean bathrooms, well maintained roads. Firewood is $6 a bundle and almost all pine. We were at the furthest point away from Rte 9 but we could still hear trucks occasionally. The sounds from within the campground were very loud by virtue of the campground topography. We could hear every shrieking kid and barking dog. But the hiking trails were really cool. I'd go back here, but it wouldn't be my top choice.

Best Camping in Vermont - hiking, biking, swimming, and a waterfall

This tops our list for camping in Vermont. There is so much to do here, and yet the campground feels very private and quiet. There are 41 tent/RV sites to choose from and 18 lean-tos. Some of the lean-tos are situated right on the West River, but they are well-loved and coveted so we've never actually stayed in one.

For our July trip, we stayed in the Juniper lean-to, which is incredibly quiet and near the overlook hiking trail. The park is small enough to walk to the swimming area from your campsite, as well as into town. Note that you will not get cell service here, but if you walk into the village of Jamaica, you will find Wi-Fi hotspots at the library or the grocery store.

Here are all the awesome things to do in Jamaica State Park:

1. Learn about the first peoples who lived here: The area along the West River was an important trade route for the Abenaki tribe. Throughout the park, there are interpretive signs with lots of information about the Abenaki, as well as the archaeological dig that was conducted here in 2010.

2. Cool off in the West River: The main swimming area is at Salmon Hole, right in the campground, but you can swim anywhere in the West River. It's awesome!

1. Ride your bike to the Ball Mountain Dam: There's a bike trail that leads from the campground all the way to the federally-owned Ball Mountain Dam, which provides great views of Ball Mountain Lake and the surrounding mountains. It's a 5-mile ride from the campground, round-trip.

2. Learn about Jamaica's railroad history: It's crazy that the rail trail was really a railroad at the turn of the century. It's a narrow, mountainous route. As you ride along the trail, stop and read the signs. No wonder it was called 36 miles of trouble!

5. Hike the Overlook Trail: It's a 2.5-mile loop that brings you up on a ridge with great views.

1. Hike to Hamilton Falls: It's actually easier to bike part of the way on the rail trail and then hike the 1.1 miles to the falls. Otherwise, it's a 6-mile hike round-trip. Hamilton falls is 125 feet tall, and one of the loveliest waterfalls in Vermont.

2. Walk into the village of Jamaica for donuts: Seriously! Head to D&K Grocery for the best donuts ever, or stock up on camping provisions.

The best family campground

My family and I have been camping here for 40 years. 4 of my 5 children learned to ride their bikes on the circle that surrounds the playground. The owners are great people and the prices are very reasonable. Just can’t say enough about this place.