The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Villanueva , NEW MEXICO

Camping New Mexico Villanueva Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Villanueva Camping Reviews
Fine for a overnight stop

The park was just fine, nothing fancy and by no means a destination. If you are passing through though it works just fine.

Great Place

We are newbies to the RV Park world and I must say for our first official RV Park stay this place was amazing. Quiet with beautiful views. Public facilities are superb and super clean. Will save this place as my go to stay in Santa Fe.

Submersed in the forest

Black Canyon is the type of campground I remember visiting as a child in the NW. Heavily wooded, sites tucked in. Not on top of each other directly, but close enough to have a group camp and be distanced. Vault toilets were clean. Some sites weren’t level, so if you’re in a RTT or RV, be sure to have plenty of leveling tools. Only stayed one night and didn’t get to hike or explore. If you aren’t used to elevation, the camp sits up 8400 feet, it’ll take a bit more time to do normal activities. This Florida gal had to learn to slow down. 😉

Safe stop over

We stayed here one night on our trip across country. The park was clean and safe. The site was an pull through and needing a little leveling, easy hook up.  The attendant came by to welcome us as we came in late.  We will come again, but will ask to be put further out in a back in if needed to give a little more space between campers (we had one neighbor that sang near the campfire for hours … ).

Perfect spot!

I was a little hesitant to reserve this place after I saw the last review. I’m so glad I did. Here are some of the amazing aspects of Santa Fe Skies.

1) Mountain View’s 2) Awesome sculpture art 3) Walking trains (w/ doggie bags) 4) Fenced dog park!! 5) All the needs - electric, water, wifi 6) CONTACTLESS CHECK-IN!! I paid online and checked in, online. (COVID friendly)

All around great spot.

Okay for one night

We were just passing through for one night. The spaces are level. It was good to take a hot shower and use the dump on the way out. The grounds could use some TLC. It has been a dry year everywhere. The check-in was uncomfortable as mask wearing was “not my policy” and I was accused of “slithering in” before closing even with a reservation.

Good stop over if passing through & cheap

We just spent 1 night here as we traveled from Colorado to Tennessee. It was great for a stop over, but there isn't much to do around there if you are staying for a long time. The manager was a dry, but he was accommodating and nice enough. We had a W&E only site and they have a dump conveniently on site we used before heading out. There were many sites on the grounds. We had an easy pull through site that was pretty level. Gravel roads throughout but wide and maintained. It was cheap and it worked great for a stopover and for that reason, we'd stay again.

Simple beauty

12 miles uphill drive into the Santa Fe National Forest, just past million dollar mansions in Santa Fe. Easy access, just drive up and park. Multiple tent camp sites with fire pit and picnic table.  Accessible to trails. Beautiful sunset views.

Lovely campground with some really tight campsites

We stayed one night here in June, 2020. Just wanted to get out of hot Albuquerque and into the mountains for some cooler hiking and cooler air in general. Because of the ongoing pandemic, campgrounds at State Parks were still closed, so the National Forest campgrounds offered the only real option for something close to home. Black Canyon really fit the bill. It took us about 90 minutes to get to our site from our RV storage facility in Albuquerque. It's in the mountains, on the road to the ski area. Not quite as high as the State Park, but still out of the"pinion/juniper" mix you get in the hills of NM and up into Aspen and Pine territory. The sites here have no facilities. There are a couple of vault toilets, which smelled pretty bad when we walked by them. A couple of very primitive looking water areas; no idea if they actually work(I've seen earlier reviews that imply they don't). I never saw anyone using them. And they have non-traditional connects, so if you want to try your luck and get water for your rig here, you'll need a Water Bandit. The campground is well wooded. Campsites come in all shapes and sizes. Our rig is 29 feet, 3 inches, and we were in a spot that maxed out at 32 feet(per description on web site…Site 15). We barely fit. We saw very few sites that could have accommodate much more. I don't think any site would have been able to handle more than 35 feet. Our little Thor Hurricane 27B was the only Class A we saw on site, and the place was pretty packed. Lots of tent camping.(Our pad was narrow enough that back in took more than one try. And there was no space for bringing out the awning. The fire pit area and such were BEHIND the rig.) It was very nice though and in the evening, the temps were fantastic. It was actually chilly enough that my wife had to put on a small wrap while we ate dinner outside.

At the end of the campgrounds is the entrance to the Black Canyon Trail. It's only about 1.3 miles, but for about.4 miles of it, there is considerable steepness. I wouldn't call it a workout, but it's not a totally whimpy trail and it was lovely. We saw lots of plant life and grabbed many nice photos. We went late in the afternoon(around 5:30) and NO ONE else was on the trail. The next morning, we hiked the nearby West Circle Trail on the State Park site, and that's a MUCH tougher trail. You go up 1000' in one mile, and it's an often rocky trail, so careful plodding is recommended. It's a nice trail too! Black Canyon Campground was just what the doctor ordered. Unless, you want/need cell service or wifi. We had read there was no mobile service and they weren't kidding. Over the air TV doesn't come in either, and even radio stations were spotty at best. No problem for us.

(By the way, less than 20 yards from the entrance to the campground, the National Forest ends and the Hyde Memorial State Park begins. And another 50 yards up from there is the State Park RV dump station. Right now, IT IS CLOSED. Don't plan to dump there. In fact, finding a place to dump anywhere in Santa Fe is a tall order.)