The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Sunshine , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Sunshine Camping Reviews
One of my favorite spots in NM

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS :) beautiful scenery and very clean! i liked the set up of the camp ground, very spacious but still felt like a nice community. 10/10 must see.

Sandy desert like

We stayed in the first pull out to the left of the road. Watch the entry off CO 150 as it is very narrow. No hookups but no fee. All was well until the wind came up suddenly and we were in a brief windstorm with sand all in our trailer.

Lots of space!

Very secluded! Even when full I imagine the spots are far enough apart. If the spots are full keep going down the road! Plenty of dispersed camping! We’ll be back! Beautiful scenery!

BLM Dispersed road

Smooth dirt road with large spots and smaller spots right off the road. Perfect for when all the other nearby campgrounds are full, but make sure you get there before sunset because it will fill up. We stayed on a busy Friday and didn't go up the road too far; it looked like it gets steeper and rocky.

Great spot

Camped here the last 2 nights and it was fantastic. For $25/night it’s a good deal. There’s not clearly marked camping areas, which is both kinda cool and a little disorienting. Some of the camping areas have small, perfectly sized covered picnic table areas which are absolutely wonderful. The campsites are nearly all along a babbling brook, stream, or river. The roads to the entrance, to the campsites, and definitely up to the lakes are best suited if not exclusively suited for trucks and 4WD vehicles. Currently there’s no restroom facilities unless you personally rent a porta-potty to be brought to your campsite. We’ll be coming back. A word for tent campers, at least during my stay the volume of RV’s virtually dominated the park.

Good homebase for exploring the Valle Vidal

This is 1 of 2 options for campgrounds in the Valle Vidal area. It is on the West side of the preserve and is equine friendly. This is a large campground, with 36 camping sites. We stayed at #24 which had a nice partial overlook to the opposing valley, mountainside.

This campground is well loved, but clean and my only gripe is the pit toilets are old and in need of replacement. The host did keep them  as clean as possible with odor control devices in the stalls.

Our campsite had a very worn and splintering wooden picnic table that really needed replacing.  We brought a table and sat at that with our 2 small children.

Overall it is quiet and peaceful with amazing stargazing at night.

There is a walking trail at the back of the campground to get to Surree Ponds. I would say it is of medium difficulty as there is a precarious creek crossing, and it is uphill the whole way back to camp. The view you can get from the meadows and the ponds are gorgeous at sunset.

Word of warning, the road to get here from Amalia becomes very wash boarded. It is a long road to get here and is wash boarded the whole way. The drive through Rio Costilla Canyon is gorgeous and if you only can go that far it is well worth it.

A really nice spot

We enjoyed our weekend. The creek is very close and accessible, which is probably the highlight. There are plenty of hammock and shade trees. Sipapu resort is very close, so I was able to take my kid for a break from camping to get some “real food” ;) at the cafe. The pit toilets were really clean. My kid mentioned that specifically.

The negatives: Our site was really close to another site, which was not awesome. I prefer campgrounds where the sites are a bit farther apart. The road was not well maintained, but it wasn’t really a problem.

Did not Disappoint

Overall the campsite was great. I think we saw the host but maybe not, however, everything was still very well maintained. At night, when everyone is settling, with a clear sky, you get an amazing view of the stars. The only downside is that you can kind of hear the road traffic in the morning. Not too bad but it’s noticeable. I’ll be coming back for sure though.

Enjoy hiking , camping look nice

just went hiking in the surrounding area. But drove around and looked at the campsite looks like a nice place to go camping definitely willing to try it.

Awesome!

We stayed about 10 minutes up the road after the turn off. there are plenty of places to pull off but the further up you go the more likely it is that you’ll need a 4WD. It rained a lot but the ground dried fast and the creek bed that runs along the campsites never filled up.

we rarely heard our neighbors and there was plenty of space!