The best GROUP camping near
El Cerro Mission , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent El Cerro Mission Camping Reviews
Better than expected!

I didn't stay but I did drive through to check it out for future stops. First impression was very clean! There are two basic areas, the fishing area around the pond which is good sized and shaped so that there's lots of shoreline. The other area is the camping area with hookups and tent sites. In between was the playground and bathroom area. There is a group shelter, and trees. It's a bit off the main highway but easy access. The river is nearby and there are some primitive access roads.

Okay Park

It’s okay. Has decent hookups and a firepit. Comes with free firewood, which was nice. Has a picnic table. No showers. No bathrooms during covid, which sucks. Campsites are pretty close together.

Great for kids

The staff here are awesome, very friendly & always available to help with anything you need. Easy pull through spots. The playground has the best swing set and is all sand, very fun for kids of all ages.

Great spot with a few oddities

This RV park is owned and operated by the Town of Bernalillo, a community about 15 miles north of Albuquerque(where we live) and is right next to Coronado State Monument, the ruins of an old Pueblo. It is right on the banks of the Rio Grande, but the river is not easily accessible from here. There are some sites that have great river views(A- D), but these sites are very small and have minimal hookups. Most of the sites here are gigantic, with lovely picnic areas. Not just a table, but a table under a fully stuccoed covering. We got a huge rainstorm the night we were there, and we sat in the shelter and watched Mother Nature's show and didn't get a drop on us. It was great. There are lots of mature trees in the area, so you'll get plenty of opportunity for shade as well.

We were in Site 4, one of 6 50amp pull through sites(although the camp host gets Site 1, so there are really only 5 such sites). Electric was easy to reach…water everywhere appears to be on the OTHER side of the site, so I was very glad to have my second hose on hand to reach it. There is no sewer on the sites themselves, but if you're staying there, the easily accessible dump station is included in the price.

The sites are blacktop and at first glance appear level, but when we actually put our levels down, we discovered there was a significant slope. Actually caused our passenger rear tires to be up in the air, which caused us to need to move around the site a little bit. Not a major deal, but I was frankly surprised.

The camp hosts were friendly enough, but they drive around in their golf carts quite frequently, and really seem interested in seeing what you're up to. I was grilling on my little propane grill, and they slowed down and really took a long look at what I was doing. Later, we were sitting outside(right before the rain) and again, a sloooow drive-by. Seemed a little much for a couple of 50-somethings. I'm glad they take safety seriously, but I didn't feel super welcome either.

But we'll go here again. It's right next to one of the best breweries in the area(Bosque Brewing) and I certainly like being able to walk to the spot. When the monument reopens, we'll be able to make a day of hiking, beer drinking and watching the scenery.

Beautiful park! Great staff!

Beautiful RV park! Bathrooms were very nice and CLEAN! There’s security at the entrance which is nice, and a small store for beer and fishing stuff. Everyone that works there is friendly and helpful.

FHU by the pond for $18?!

But wait, there's more; free firewood! Place was clean, level gravel, had great neighbors, and caught a fish within 10 minutes throwing out my lure. Fishing was busier in the morning but caught this just before sunset.

Do your reservations online, it's preferred according to their website (versus calling). It's easy and we stayed another night because it was chill and enjoyable. Was able to work on the RV without it being too hot or windy.

First night I was in site #1 for RVs and it had shade but no fire ring (but I think you can make your own fire ring). Site #2 has no shade but had a fire ring. Site #3 has shade, no fire ring.

Inexpensive, full hookup and bathrooms

This was inexpensive but turns out it will cost us a bit more in the long run. When we pulled up there was a maintenance employee doing his job. We were trying to get into our spot. My husband is hard of hearing and I was trying to guide him. I tell him “nooooo” and the guy tells him to “crank it” and guess what? He cranks it. Dents our bumper to the truck. Sooo yeah, that happened.

The site. It has all the amenities. The bathroom is tended to but basic. There is one light and it is right over campsite 13. So be aware. Luckily we have blackout blinds and that helped but dang it was bright. There are little stickers so don’t let pets run in the “grass” or kids barefoot. And bring your bug spray. I am covered in bug bites.

We loved the little town of Socorro. And this really was a pretty good deal overall. The lake part is really just a pond and if you want super quiet this is not for you as it was close to a busy road with ATVs and trucks running constantly over the gravel road and the occasional train.

Would I come here again? No.

But it was an adventure I suppose. All part of the ride.

Simple but nice

The landscape around is pretty sparse. Our site was clean, easy and spacious. We were right up by the lake which seemed man made but was still peaceful. Great place for an overnight stay. First come first served

Not a campground, only a picnic/hiking site.

I took my family here as a get out of the city picnic adventure.  I was surprised on how big and sprawling the picnic site was. It had several picnic tables spread out along a meandering trail along the Las Huertas creek. It was peaceful and well shaded. The picnic tables are in good condition, and there are several pit toilet houses that are well maintained.

There is a loop trail around the picnic area that goes up the wooded hills and makes for a good little workout. Along the trail there are good views of the Sandia Mountains.

In conclusion it is a great place to spend a few hours having lunch and exploring. Great for kids, although the trails can be steep and rocky.

The road to get here ( 165) is challenging for sedans, as it is rocky and rutted and washed out in places. We have an offroad SUV but still it is slow going. If you are up for the adventure I recommend it!

Lovely spot

We only stayed one night but will be back! Very clean, friendly, quiet. Each site has full hook ups, covered picnic area. Very nice small lake for fishing I was able to go for a 2 mile run around the water!