No Fires
1 Review of Lincoln Air Park
Car racers paradise

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Free Rein Rain Jacket at Lincoln Air Park Campground

Campground Review:

Having downtown Lincoln about 20 minutes away from Lincoln Air Park means that there is a lot to do and go see close by.  Being a SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) member means that when you go to an event at Lincoln Air Park, you can camp on site.

This isn’t your typical campground by any means. This is a huge paved area of the airport where the SCCA hosts autocross races.  This means that you must bring all your camping gear with you. It is typically motor homes and RVs that stay on the site, but a few brave people pack a tent and set it up on the concrete pad.

There are little to no amenities on-site so you need to be prepared.  There are port-a-potties but no drinking water available. If you do need water or septic tanks serviced, there is a $50 fee to have a company come out and fill or empty those in your RV.

The quiet hours on-site are from 10PM to 6AM and the rest of the day it is loud.  There are cars running the autocross course and the occasional plane takes off on the adjacent runway.  Like I said, this isn’t your typical campground, but it is very nice to be able to stay on-site while racing.

Being on-site is great as you get to socialize with other competitors after the days events and many times the SCCA will sponsor a dinner for the drivers after an event.

What is great about this area is the Haymarket in downtown Lincoln.  It is worth the short 15 to 20 minute drive to experience all the great restaurants and activities they hold in this beautiful downtown setting.  You can find out more at https://lincolnhaymarket.org/.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I sometimes get to test out various camping gear.  At the Lincoln Air Park I tested out the Red Ledge Free Rein rain jacket. This is the perfect spot to put the rain jacket to the test, as it always seems to rain a couple times during my stays in Lincoln.

This is the nicest rain coat I have ever owned.  I'm used to the heavy ones that do not breathe at all.  I was surprised at how well made this Red Ledge rain jacket is.  The rain jacket is a good material thickness for the cooler rainy days, but I also don't think it is too hot when it gets muggy out during the rain.  This jacket has pit zippers which open up a huge area to let you get some fresh air in and the hot air out.

I find these a must now that I've worn a rain jacket with venting areas.  This just makes you so much more comfortable. I was also able to keep these completely open during the rain and I never got wet.

I also really like the hood on this rain jacket.  Most rain jackets have a hood but it is always in your face and if you turn your head it gets in the way.  The hood has a shock cord running through it that can be tightened, above your ears where a baseball cap is worn, and it keeps the hood in place.  This is great and I found it to be very comfortable.

I am 5'10" and 154 lbs. I read a review that said the rain jacket runs a little small so I ordered a large which is a size up from my normal jackets.  I found this to be just about perfect. The back is longer than the front of this jacket, which I like for using on a bicycle and the sleeves were just about an inch or two long which is great for reaching for the handlebars on the bike.  I would recommend one size up from your normal size as it also allows you to put another layer on underneath if you need to in colder weather.

Another bonus is the great colors this jacket comes in.  I like the bright colors offered as compared to many other rain jackets that seem to be black, or other dark colors.

See http://redledge.com/collections/free-rein/products/mens-free-rein-jacket to see more about the rain jacket!