the dyrt
About Kintla Lake - Glacier National Park
Drive In, Boat In
National Park Service
Kintla Lake - Glacier National Park is located in Glacier National Park in Montana
10 Reviews of Kintla Lake - Glacier National Park
Breathtaking Getaway Campground

Be prepared to be in awe here. Very remote campground with no amenities, just park and enjoy the scenery. Close spaces in the trees, but you sit on the shores of one of the most glorious lakes in the area. This used to be a little used camp due to the long, windy, bumpy road in, but it has since gained popularity. This is not for trailers or RV's due to the road in, but tent campers and truck campers are fine. Beautiful trails right from camp. Note that dogs are not allowed on any trails in Glacier Park, whether leashed or not, and this camp ground and lake have the additional restriction that dogs can't be in the water at all, not on their own, leashed, in a canoe, etc. This was disappointing since I had my dog with me, so we cut our stay short. Still, this is a place you must visit if you're wanting to see the beauty of Glacier Park.

Mosquitos

Beautiful campground in Glacier National Park. The drive out to the campground is LONG and interesting but worth it if you are prepared for the mosquitos. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but only stayed one because of this reason. The campsites are pretty close together but really close to Kintla Lake. Nearby hiking too!

what a view

39 miles inside the park. A rough, but beautiful, drive in (will take near an hour and a half). No trailers or campers allowed. Frequented by bears, perfect for fishing, nestled between Kintla Lake and Kintla River. The 15 sites are first come, first serve. A quiet place to camp with a view that you will never forget. Make sure to gas up and have supplies before headed up.

Breathtaking!

Wow. The drive here wasn’t easy, but once you’re there it is worth it. You are camping right along Kintla Lake where many kayak, swim, etc. There’s a beautiful bridge to walk along or a hiking trail opposite. Bears are present in the area but bear boxes were not necessary, just pack in car. At the time we were there fires were restricted but there are tables and pits for fires.

Beautiful, Quiet, Buggy

This campground is small with only 15 sites, which is nice compared to some of the other campgrounds at Glacier which have over 80. The campground sits on the edge of Kintla Lake, and is at the end of a very bumpy and long road - I definitely recommend 4WD and/or high clearance to get through, but saw a prius and a subura as well. This lake is good for fishing, paddleboarding, kayaking etc, and there's a long hike to the other side of the lake (12mi RT). The scene is beautiful, however, there were a LOT of mosquitoes when we went in June, so bring your bug spray! In June, we got there at 1PM on a Saturday and most sites were not taken. This is not a reservation campground, so I would recommend getting there much earlier if you go on a busier weekend. We went in June since Logan Pass was still not open.

Very Beautiful Lake

Very nice campground on the lake and next to the drainage creek. Off the beaten path and takes some commitment to get to, but well worth the drive. Campground has a host for the summer and is well maintained. You need to arrive early to find a site as there are a limited number of sites. Well worth the risk though.

Peaceful Fall Camp

Visited in October, beautiful colors and calm weather!

You Win!

Wanna feel like you are in on a secret, and you get to share it with roughly 30 strangers? This lake felt remote, personal and intimate. We found lots of rocky beaches to spread out from the (few) other campers.

-Good spot for canoeing, kayaking, hiking, fly fishing or just relaxing.

-We got a flat tire heading up, be careful on the roads!

-No potable water at this time of the year (late September) so plan ahead.

Primitive and Peaceful

Made my way up to Kintla Lake for the first time in June and loved it! The campground is small and at the end of a beautiful (and bumpy) dirt road close to Canada. It sits right at Kintla Lake. I ended up snagging a campsite right by the lake, making for a great morning view. Best of all, it is quiet and there were no huge RVs! Great spot to kayak, as well.

Shhhh...Super Secret

This has to be one of my all time favorite campgrounds. Very primitive camping at the end of a very bumpy dirt road about 40 miles in. There are only 13 sites and given the arduous drive, RVs are seldom seen here. This part of the lake also does not allow motorized boats so kayaking and canoeing is very pleasant. We fished here and within 30 seconds of dropping my line I caught my first lake trout! Can't beat that! Pit toilet and there is a hand pump for water but that's about it.