Standard (Tent/RV)
Bowman Lake Campground is located in Glacier National Park in Montana
-114.2016 W
21 Reviews of Bowman Lake Campground
Spectacular Spot

We spent a single night here. It was so good. Super quiet. Tons of wildlife (saw multiple deer, various birds, a grizzly on way in). I couldn't sleep any more so I got up at 4:30, made coffee, and walked down to the lake about 5 am. It was like a painting.

The ranger was super nice, too.

Magnificent

It’s a good 7 mile hike in, but a beautiful hike and the destination is worth it. The site itself is right on the shore, with plenty of room for multiple parties to enjoy the lake at once.

Glacier National Park at it finest

Bowman Lake has to be one of my most favorite locations in Glacier Park. Bowman Lake has a wonderful hiking trail (26.2 mile round trip) located here. The road leading up the campground is narrow and trailers are restricted from use. During the summer months this location will need advance reservations due to limited space. Best time to visit this camping location is duding the months of September and October.

My Favorite Glacier Campground

On our last day in Glacier we headed over to Bowman Lake in hopes of finding a campsite. Despite it being the end of June we got there at 2 PM and found plenty of sites open. We had out pick of the little. The sites are all great. Lots of trees to use for hammocks, good picnic tables, and nice fire pits. The campground only has pit toilets, but the secluded area makes up for it. This is the place to go to avoid the regular Glacier camping crowds. The campground is about a 5 minute walk to the lake and just a short drive form Polebridge. Absolutely gorgeous and my favorite place to camp in Glacier.

Another beautiful spot in Glacier!

Be prepared for a dusty, bumpy, narrow, pot-holed drive in on the road. There's a sign at the beginning of the incline that indicates parking availability… pay attention to the sign, it will tell you if no parking is available. If the road is wet, it is treacherous! Remember to bring bug spray and bear spray, be aware of your surroundings.

You'll be a high elevation so be ready for cooler nights. I used my 0-degree sleeping bag, and that worked great. Limited campsites so get there early on the weekend. Several trails lead into the mountains, one leads along the lakeshore. There is drinking water, pit toilets, fire rings, picnic tables, plus some bear-proof storage boxes.Highly recommend taking the time to explore and camp at this location.

Secluded... and close to Polebridge!

I love Bowman Lake. I've camped here more than anywhere else in Glacier. I've seen bears, the northern lights, and done many wonderful hikes in the area.

The best thing about the campground, though? It's near my favorite place in the US—Polebridge. Seriously, if you go to Glacier but don't make the trek up to Polebridge, you'll never understand what you're missing!

beautiful but MOSQUITOS

This campground is secluded and beautiful. The campground itself was very well maintained. At the time that we went (late May/ early June 2018) there were only a handful of other people there so it was very quiet which was awesome. I thought being from Arkansas we could handle some mosquitos but oh no the mosquitos are on a whole other level here. No amount of Off Deep Woods could save us. Definitely wish we had brought a thermacell or something like that which would probably make it a lot better. We didn’t hike in this area because of the mosquitos but there are several trails. We kayaked on the lake and it was amazing! Don’t be like us though and think you can kayak the entire thing and back unless you start EARLY when the water is smooth because otherwise you are going to struggle.. for 5 hrs🤪

Decent for car camping

The spots aren’t very private. The mosquitos are intense. The walk to the lake is 2 mins. The view at the lake is amazing. Get there early because it does fill up.

National Park campground

Be food safe. We had a black bear next to our vehicle one morning. The 6 miles dirt road out there is ROUGH. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise if you aren’t 4x4. Views are totally worth it. Not good biking or trails for dogs either. But the lake is gorgeous and if you have a kayak - it’s a blast! Glacier is competitive camping for sure but bowman seemed to fill up a little later.

Secluded and Beautiful

the bowman lake campground is about 30 - 40 minutes north of Polebridge. The road is very rough and takes a while to drive, but it is doable by most cars. The campground is at Bowman Lake, a stunning lake in Glacier National Park. The sites are big, have plenty of flat room for tents, and are on the shade. Mosquitos were terrible when we were there! But the hiking in this area is very nice and accessible. I want to go back!