The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Oak Grove , MISSOURI

Camping Missouri Oak Grove Standard (Tent/RV)

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Oak Grove Camping Reviews
Enjoyed so much we’ve visited more than once

The first time my former partner and I came to Sam Baker was during 4th of July and it was pretty busy but laid back. The accommodations were excellent such as the campground shop and cafe. We stayed in our very large tent, folks were really friendly even though it was mid COVID-19. They regularly cleaned and sanitized all the bathrooms regularly on schedule. We really enjoyed our first stay of roughly a couple nights so much we scheduled to return later that fall. We found out they also had boat/canoe access along the lake and we finally got around to that before it got too cold. Actually enjoyed some more of the snack/meals at the cafe and of course bought whatever we felt necessary at their shop. We really appreciated all the great vibes and welcoming folks. Was sure a good time hope to come back a third and more often then not enjoy our stay!

Absolute Perfection!

This is still the favorite spot, so far, to take my kiddos to. Gorgeous views, a clear and well cared for river. Scenic views from the walkway and stairs built beside it, with open areas to access the river and the beautiful huge rocks scattered among it. A great jumping and swimming spot, too. Unmatchable!

Awesome RV Park.

We stay here anytime we want to go to south east Missouri. The owners are absolutely awesome folks the park is immaculately kept the spots are level clean and well kept. The area has all kinds of state parks and natural attractions. I highly recommend this park.

Isolated National Forest Campground On A Beautiful Lake

This small Campground is located on a lake with fishing and swimming available. The best sites are located in an open area alongside Lake. There are no electric hookups however water is available in the campground. The entrance road is paved however it is rather broken up in spots. It is a short drive from town where fuel and several restaurants are available. 50% off with senior pass. No gasoline Motors allowed on the lake.

Free Campgrounds

Sites for RVs are not level. Too close to the county road. Nice picnic pavaion.bar b q grills are nice. Pit toilet is a plus. I drove through to check it out for free Camping, I didn't like it. Probuly will not stay there.

One of our favorites!

We absolutely love this campground! We have camped here several times. They have a general store with just about anything you could need. The pizza from the restaurant is very good as well. We spent a week here in July and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. Very nice owners as well! It’s our first camping trip come April, we can’t wait to go back!

Out of state trip without the out-of-state travel!

Hawn State Park is a park like no other. Nowhere else in the state of Missouri have I been able to camp and feel like I'm in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.  The car camping area is nestled in the middle of a pine filled valley.  There's nothing more refreshing than sitting in the evening and hearing the wind whistle through the pines.  The trails are amazing with big boulders and beautiful creeks.  If you're car camping take the extra walk to the walk-in camping sites. It's like a micro backpacking trip. And if you like backpacking, Hawn state park is the place to do it!

Great campground and beautiful river

This is a new(ish) and well maintained campground. It is located on the Black River, and the water flowing through the shut-ins is crystal clear and cool. We weren’t there during the summer months, but I am sure this park is busy when the weather is good for swimming. We stayed at the campground at the end of September when the leaves were just starting to change colors and it was beautiful.

All the sites have concrete pads and there is plenty of space between sites with lots of trees. There is also a walking path that cuts through the middle of both loop 2 and 3. This is great if you are planning trips with friends and family but can’t get sites directly next to each other. The park has a great general store which is centrally located and there is a nice big laundry facility attached if you need it. We didn’t use the bathroom/shower facilities while we were there due to covid, so I unfortunately don’t have information about those for you.

Be aware the shut-ins are separate from the campgrounds. This can be either a positive detail or a negative depending on how you look at it. It’s only bad if you are concerned about the fact that you have to drive or walk to go play in the water. However, I think the good outweighs the bad in this case.

Although we weren’t there during the warmer/swimming months, I can imagine the park gets pretty busy during the weekends and hot days. So the positive is, if you are camping, that the campground area won’t be busy with day-use visitors because the park is split up. Which means, you can still enjoy the peace and quiet if you aren’t playing at the actual shut-ins. That is definitely a plus in my book.

The only issue we had was there was nobody at the gate to check us in. We had to check in by text or we could scan a QR code and there were no campsite maps available either. So hopefully you have better phone service then we had, and make sure to download a site map so you can find your campsite more easily.

Overall, the park is great. The shut-ins are beautiful and if you are into exploring the area around Johnson’s Shut-ins there are multiple state parks nearby where you can drive to and do some more exploring.

Clean and nice

My family camps at Sam A Baker every year. It is clean and everyone there is friendly. They have a nice gift shop and some great places to swim.

Nice little campground

Nice little primitive campground with about 8 small spots. Has a nice sized lake good fishing if you are using a boat, or kayak. Spots have a table and a fire pit. Vault toilets, and a pavilion on site.