The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Dakota , MINNESOTA

Camping Minnesota Dakota Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Dakota Camping Reviews
Lots of mosquitos but great campground for the weekend!

I've been going to Pigeon Creek ever since I was a child, and I have always loved it. It's one of those campgrounds that have a special place in your heart. All the Wisconsin State Parks are great. This one has a nice man-made lake with good fishing and lots of turtles. All of the sites are well maintained and secluded from one-another so you have good privacy. There are the typical pit toilets and well water available in multiple locations around the campground. And a nice beach to hang out at during the day. The mosquitos can get bad as there are some swampy areas around the campground, but nothing more than expected. Love it there!

Great weekend away

We have stayed here twice. Newer park and have seen improvements from our first stay till our most recent. Grounds seem well cared for overall. The grass was a bit long but green. The campsite had a good amount of garbage in the fire pit and some around the site. I think a quick walk thru by staff would have caught this mess.

Sites are gravel and pretty level. Only a little leveling was needed. Staff/owners were friendly and helpful.

Our most recent stay, we were there with friends and we were able to get sites next to each other. There is not an office on site but the several times I called they answered the phone or called back promptly.

They assign sites when you pay your deposit which I really like knowing prior to arrival.

The views from the campground are pretty and there are a lot of eagles nesting in this area.

As with many RV parks they have railroad tracks nearby with trains come through several times a day/night.

We would stay here again and is beautiful drive from the Twin Cities.

Nice escape

Perfect for a quick night away from the twin cities. Several small hikes to the bluffs right from the campground loop. Solid campground all around.

On the banks of the Westfork of the Kickapoo river

A beautiful location in the Driftless Area of Wisconsin. Near hiking, biking, fishing attractions.  The campground is well groomed with lots of camping spots available. First come First serve with all sites being group sites.  A membership is required and covers all the amenities, well worth the cost. The club raises trout and does conservation work locally helping the environment.  Onsite showers and flush toilets. For rent on site is a cabin, 2 Native lodges and a clubhouse for large groups, events, and meetings.  Reservable from the website.  A very laid back and enjoyable campground with friendly people.

Always had a good time

Wen I lived in Minnesota and my boyfriend was living in iowa, this was our go-to meeting place for our weekend getaways.  We only had a few issues over the 6 times we stayed there relating to reservations….but overall, it was a positive experience.

Great hiking, no mosquitoes!

We stayed at Minneiska campground since Cedar Hills is under construction this year. It's a newer campground so the vegetation hasn't grown in fully yet - your neighbors are visible but there's good distance between sites so it wasn't a problem at all. The grounds themselves are really well-kept with nice bathroom facilities and hot showers, which was perfect for the cooler fall days. It's a busy park so you'll need to reserve early or plan on visiting during the week.

The hiking itself was awesome. We did the Dakota trail, which was a tough up and down hike with really incredible views of the fall colors. There's also a nice park/picnic area with beach access. I'm hoping to come back next summer to enjoy the swimming. All in all it was a great stay!

Really enjoyable

Neighbors are great peaceful. Really what I needed

Great place to visit in the fall

We stayed at cart in site 4, which was the best of the 4 options. It’s at the end of a lookout trail that has amazing sunrise/sunset views. The hiking in this park is really great, with some amazing lookouts. Only downside is that the hum of I-90 can be heard at night.

Horrible Customer service

Tried to stay here. Booked a site over the phone, got a reservation but was not told a confirmation number or even what site number we would have. Had to get off the line quickly as they made it seem like they were too busy to talk to me. Called back weeks later to confirm and got a site number, but again seemed like I was unimportant. Called before the trip to verify that I could cancel due to covid travel restriction and was told it would be fine. When I canceled the next morning (as I was told I could do), the manager called me and rudely said that was not the case. Again, they always seemed to be too busy to take care of my needs as a guest. I wish that I could say I will try again, but this experience of poor customer service has made me sure that I will never be staying at this resort again.

Fantastic cart in sites

I enjoy camping away from the hub bub of the family campground and opting for the backpack or cart in sites. Luckily, Great River Bluffs has some of the nicest cart ins I have encountered.

The 5 sites are well spaced out with lots of trees, nice flat tent pads, a newer clean vault and good fresh water both within a short distance of all the sites.

The surrounding hiking trails feature incredible views of the Mississippi River valley, high upon a bluff. The sites are away from the heavy foot traffic of picnic areas and primary hiking trails, though during the day there will be a few hikers walking the trail down the middle of the cart site trail to get to a fantastic lookout site. There weren't tons of people but it might bother those that don't want to see anyone while there.

There are two vault toilets. One at the parking lot and one between camp site 3 and 4. If you want a shower, you have to drive up to the family campground which is a good half mile away.