Standard (Tent/RV)
Equestrian
About Old Logging Trail Campground
National Park Service
RVs and Trailers
Old Logging Trail Campground is located in Saint Croix National Scenic River in Minnesota
6 Reviews of Old Logging Trail Campground
In my opinion this campground is the best in the park!

St. Croix State Park- Review Stayed 6/30-7/2/2020

CAMPGROUND: We stayed in the Old Logging Trail Campgrounds, site 141E, it was a pretty decent site. A little sandy w/ gravel & some unmowed grassy area. This site was big. I prefer a secluded site and this was a good one in comparison to the other campgrounds in the park. Most sites in OLTC are surrounded by trees w/ partial shade. The most private sites in the park. Showers and restrooms were newer & clean in our campground. I don’t think I’d stay at the other campgrounds there because of how open they are. Also, the raccoons were bothersome, make sure to keep your food inside & don’t leave trash out.

BUGS: We used 100% Deet & I presprayed our tent, clothing, shoes w/ permethrin before we left after reading the reviews on the tick/bug situation. At our campsite not one tick, mosquito, fly bite. Yes, they were there, just didn’t bother us. The buzzing flies were probably the most bothersome around our site. The bugs in the actual park areas were pretty bad. Esp the Deer Flies. Be prepared to use lots of bug spray while out on the trails or near the water. The flies would get caught in my hair/bun. Ladies(or men w/ long hair), I suggest wearing a hoodie or hat w/ pony/bun if you have long hair.

WILDLIFE: We saw lots of deer, 3 owls, a porcupine, frogs, a cub black bear in the park. A variety of birds & raccoons visited our campsite.

THE PARK IN GENERAL: There’s lots to do there! The park is 34,000 acres. It’s a long ways in from the main road to the headquarters plus another 1-2 miles from there to the campground. The drive in was scenic. I enjoyed it. Drove most places since the heat & humidity was so high that week. Clayton beach seemed okay, didn’t swim but went to check it out. There was a play structure there for kiddo’s as well. We spent more time by the Kettle River than the St. Croix. Downfall: I didn’t see a fishing dock. One state park I didn’t fish at…kinda a bummer. We could have probably fished the St. Croix some place but we didn’t wanna walk the stairs down/up to the St. Croix. It was hot, 90+& high dew points. I’m definitely doing a fall day trip to check out more water & hiking areas in the park when the temps are cooler and the bugs are less. There’s a fire tower, observation decks, miles & miles of hiking/horse/atv trails, beach, river(s) access. Pretty awesome & HUGE park. You’ll need more than one day to explore this MN State Park.

Old logging trail is by far the best of the 3 campgrounds in the park.

Way more trees and it made the trip a lot more private.

Very nice showers Park itself is fantastic. I’ll bring my kayak next time and glad I brought the bikes as things are spread out.

Hiking paths were many and well maintained. Loaded up on wild blueberries and raspberries!!

Next trip- sites 112, 140 will be preferred, it has electrical for our RV.

Relaxing

This is a great spot to camp. Seems to be a good spot if you have kids. A lot of trails to explore, including a long paved trail for bikes. A beach is a short drive away and it's not far from Danbury, WI or Hinckley, MN if you forgot anything.

private, poor bathrooms

Pros - sites are private, I could hang my hammock, the rangers had a great snake show

Cons - every single toilet was clogged when we woke up and very foul (most of the stars are due to this). Pretty buggy so definitely bring a screened area for eating. A huge water snake emerged out of the dark clay water while we were in it and will definitely be giving me nightmares for a long time.

Don’t drive to the Wah-Wah

This Is a beautiful natural campground there are tons of trails ,geocaching , a horse camp ground, and the camp store. There is geocaching and beautiful rocks!!. Don’t bother going to the mouth of the rapids in less you are putting in a kayak because it is a very long drive down a gravel road and for the rest of the week we called it the Wawa because it was so disappointing compared to the rest of the campground

Favorite Campground at St. Croix River State Park

This campground had the most coverage and enough trees/shrubs to give you some privacy from the individuals camping next to you. There were about 10 sites at the campground with electric. The modern restroom and shower appeared very new; it was the nicest campground bathroom that I've ever used at a state park.

We enjoyed the variety of trails and activities of the St. Croix River State Park. This campground was also near a nature store that sold food, ice, and firewood. They also did canoe rentals.