Fostoria, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Fostoria Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: Banner and Oak Pathfinder hat at Holly State Rec

As a Ranger the Dyrt sends me products to test. This trip my husband and I tested hats from Banner and Oak. https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats-ladies/products/pathfinder-blue   I found the pathfinder soft comfortable and it stayed secure on my head on a blustery rainy day. Even with a buff on underneath for keeping my ears warm. I did find the brim to be a little large for my face and I had to turn my head up at odd angles to take a selfie or as you can see in the video below.  My Husband Steve found the Sierra did not fit his head well He felt it looked too tall from the front, and the band was itchy.

Holly State Rec

Pretty park with several well marked trails. We stayed in the Maple loop which had several semi-private sites screened from neighbors by trees. I think site #1 was one of the roomiest and prettiest. The bathrooms were clean. There were several playgrounds, bench swings, play fields and even a basketball court. The ADA sites had pavement surrounding the fire rings and space at the picnic tables for a wheel chair.

Nice place to relax

The lady that runs this place is hands down the reason this park is so great . I come here every year for the past 6 years an for the 2020 season i plan on a 3 month lot rental

Packed in

We stayed here over a weekend. Biggest disappointment was you need to bring your own fire pit! Or they have some at the front of the park you can use, which we did as we were planning on cooking hotdogs. The pool was nice. We did full hookup and were tight to the campers next to us, like 6’ away. People working were nice.

Nice quick weekend retreat

Nice quick weekend retreat campground. Cement pads, water, and electric. Loop C is spacious with some trees

Great Atmosphere!

We’ve been going here for many years, we love access to the plenty of pools and kayaking amenities that are included in our stay!

Beautiful woods

Sites were spacious, we loved the national forest.

Excellent place

Stayed there again over Labor Day weekend and had awesome time. Horseshoe and cornhole tournament was the best.

Nice place with a ton of activities. My only complaint would be that bathrooms and showers could be cleaner. Went in right after they mopped and it looked like they just slid the dirt around.

Great stay

The sites are good size, very shaded. Bathrooms are clean. Lots of thing to do here as you are right across the street from the beach. The near by nature preserve is a great place to take a hike or bike ride. There are a couple restaurants right outside the park entrance.

Amazing weekend for the kids!

This is one of the best campgrounds for kids that I've ever visited!!!

The campground itself is beautifully laid out and maintained. It features roughly a 150 some odd sites ranging from tent sites to RV and cabins. Each site has a cement fire ring and electric hookup. There are communal water spickets generously scattered around the grounds. The bathrooms and showers are very clean. They are closed an hour a day for thourgho cleaning and restocked and wiped down in the late evening. They have one large group camp area, but it is for organizational reservations only (as most of them are). Howeve, there is a cul-de-sac of 5 or 6 (I can't remember) sites off by itself. Those sites are very large (except the one on the end, which of course we had reserved for the weekend) and have huge space between them. There is also an additional parking pad there for overflow. Though they're not a sanctioned group site these would be perfect for it. We've already planned to reserve these sites next year for our large (35+people) family camp weekend. The drive around the campground is all paved and very long, so be sure to bring your bikes!!

Now for the amusements and conveniences. . . . . There is a small playground in the campground, but you have to cut through campsites to reach it. There are trails for hiking around the wider state park area as well as a few that lead across the street to the swim area and day park. Take a 2 min walk from the camp office across to the day park and you'll find the Spray by the Bay splash pad, a huge timber playground, beautiful sandy beach along Lake Huron, sandy swim area, geocaching, pavilions, well kept bathrooms and changing rooms. We spent all day at the park with 4 kids 6yrs and under and not a single on of them complained of being bored.

They have campground hosts that facilitate free activities organized by the park. We did a kids craft and enjoyed hot cocoa or coffee Saturday morning and then returned after dinner for Back-to-School bingo and popcorn. See pic of the August schedule for a better idea of what was offered.

They sold ice and wood at the camp office and there was an ice cream place next door to the park. It's a 5 min walk from the park office.

We didn't have to leave the park once all weekend. It was so relaxing to have everything we needed on hand and not have to run out for things.

One final note: there were quite a few May Flies. According to the park office they're pretty much there all summer. They weren't bad at the campground except at night around the bathrooms. We walked over to the day park before breakfast one morning and the playground was covered with them. As the day got hotter and the playground got busier there were hardly any, but that morning visit was rough. We actually abandoned the playground till later in the day.

Great weekend campground!

We decided very last minute to camp this weekend! Use the APP The Dryt to find out campground. I was able to book same day. We live 2.5 hours away and didn't get to the campground until 10 PM! They stayed open until we go there and they had a guy waiting for a to take us to our site on a golf cart! The sites are pretty big, even tho our camper is only 21 ft long. The campground offered slot of things to do another of seasonal sites, well cleaned and maintained. They had activities for everyone that weekend. The only thing we noticed when we were leaving was there wasn't a dump station. But other then that we would stay at this campground again!

Popular Place!

This is a giant recreation area that features a campground, 3 lakes, tons of trails, and even a splash zone for kids. The campground has it all, electric, cabins, playgrounds, basketball courts, etc… The lakes are nice and there are tone of options of things to do and places to explore. Ideal for families and people who like to camp but aren’t into the “rustic” part.

2 Great Lakes & A Horse Camp

The campground here is actually a quite popular equestrian campground. There is a campground and a staging area. Rustic vault toilets, picnic tables, and fire rings. The campground itself isn’t really much to write home about (unless you have horses that is). The lakes and launches are however very nice and there are some great trail systems through the area.

Great state park

Great place to visit near by Lexington. We stay here when we are visiting family that lives near by. It was a great home base for us. Clean and nice sites.

Good base

Nice small campground. We stayed a couple nights. but were gone all day at some family functions close by. It was a good set up for us. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Close to home

We like to stay here when we need a quick get away. It is close to home, but yet still nice to get out camping for the weekend. Easy for friends to come meet up then they go back home at night.

Nice but kinda crowded

Very popular place. It’s close to home, so I like to paddle here. The sites are pretty large but mostly inhabited with RVs. Lots of campers come with the whole setup and stay for weeks. Colored lights, tiki torches, and loud music. Nothing very primitive or rustic about this place. Still, the lake is clean, there is a nice launch for boats, and a large swimming area for kids. Overall it’s a nice family camping spot.

Fantastic place for the whole family

I’ve spent several long weekends here with family ages ranging from grandparents to brand new additions to the world. It’s a fantastic set up with great amenities and close proximity to both Lexington and Fort Gratiot.

Peaceful

This was our first time camping. The park has a beautiful 2.5 mile trail around the lake that makes this campground great. We brought our own kayaks but they do rent boats. We saw deer and rabbit. Our spot #18 I felt was spacious and not to close to the people next to us and trees behind us. We had privacy and it was quiet. The people we did talk to were all very friendly. We heard the showers were decent but we used our own. I would stay again.

Lakeport St Park

The campground overall was set up nicely and had modern washrooms and bathrooms. The camp store was small but had everything you needed. The best part of the campground is the beach access which is large enough to accommodate just about anyone. The sites themselves were a little small, but if you look closely you can find one perfect for your needs.

Lots of fun

Big sites with lots of fun amenities, plenty to do which justifies the high cost, with that many sites I would assume they would have more bathrooms though and some of the staff seemed to be unengaged, bordering on rude. We had a good time and the kids enjoyed.

Getting worse by the hour

When we booked our site we asked to reserve a golf cart and were told we had to wait to get there. When we got there they said they were all booked and we had to do that while booking the site.

The staff is very rude and unprofessional. Talked down to my Mother in law while she try to explain that we had been told to book the golf cart when we got here. When we went back to the office later we were told a different story that we needed to book the cart online.

The pool was so cold the kids wouldn’t swim. They needed to use the heaters, but I guess that cost too much money.

The overall issue here is that the owners are money hungry and cheap. They pay their young staff the absolute minimum and work them too many hours which in turn makes the staff not care about the guests in the slightest. The power went out and the pool shut down because apparently the back-up generator had broke down and it “cost too much” to fix. It is sad because the park itself has a great location, great amenities and big sites. The owners need to learn that they could have a great thing here if they cared a bit more about the guest, take care of their employees more, spend the money on heating the pool when it gets chillier, and buy more golf carts with a policy all of the employees know.

So, this is an add-on: I believe a manager of some sort came to our camp site after reading my review. Asked to speak to me, but I was walking the dog. He said he would be back at 7:00 to speak to me and never showed. We went to get ice cream and asked the front desk of he was coming or not. They proceeded to be rude yet again, surprise, surprise, and said “don’t wait around and go ahead and leave your review my name is Tracie with an IE”! Guess I’ll make sure to now leave this review on all our Michigan camping community websites and friends. All I can say is WOW!!!

Someone is trolling my wife saying things about our children now. We had to block them. Pretty sure they are an owner.

Great place to stay

Stayed there over the 4th of July and the place was nice and service was great.

Love it!!

Small campground but just awsome staff is so friendly! We love it there!

Fantastic Campground for Families

What’s not to like if you have kids or grandkids. Great shallow pool, splash pad, water slides, mini-golf, trampoline area, sandy beachfront, close to Lake Huron, ice cream, pizza, stocked general store, arcade, peddle cars. I mean this place is great. For the adults the sites are large, most have water, electric AND SEWER. You can have firewood delivered to your site. The place is very well designed and laid out for easy access to everything. Slightly expensive but so worth it for families that want a low cost vacation. For those that don’t have a trailer you can bring a tent but there are beautiful small and also larger deluxe cabins.

The negatives - bad WiFi but what campground has good WiFi? Limited showers. They are nice but just not enough of them for the number of people that are here.

Busy place. Lots to do for the kids.

Great for kids, a little annoying for a couple adults just trying to break in our camper..but the hookups worked fine. Dog area was like a barren wasteland but I still appreciated it. Clean bathrooms.

The tale of two loops!

The North loop is right on the water, mostly flat, very open (not shady), the south loop where we stayed very shady, very hilly but manageable, over all great place to stay!

Pretty lakes!

This place has some great water so bring a boat, board, or kayak. Very popular for fishing and paddling. The campground isn’t overly special but it’s in a great location. Bathrooms, picnic tables, fire pit, the standard accommodations.