East Grand Rapids, MICHIGAN

Camping Michigan East Grand Rapids
Most Recent East Grand Rapids Camping Reviews
Beautiful and relaxing

This campground is our home away from home in the summer! It is beautiful & very relaxing especially during the weekdays when it's not as full. The bathrooms are clean & the rangers keep up with mowing & other chores to keep the grounds clean. When it gets crowded the wifi doesn't work great & some of the campers are not very respectful; they cut through lots & don't abide by the rules (no pets on beach & no bikes or skateboards on boardwalk). The rangers get after them when they see it. Gets frustrating because it ruins it for others who care about the park. The only other downfall is there isn't much beach because of the high water table. I wish they could dredge & bring in more sand. Otherwise it's our favorite place to be!

Great place!

Awesome campground! Very friendly staff. Super clean and updated bathrooms. On the kal-haven trail. All spots are pull through. And all spots are close to the bathrooms.

Best known for mountain biking

Playground was not suitable for toddlers (1-3 year olds). This park is best known for their hiking and biking trails which our kiddos are still a little young for. The sites are decently sized and secluded.

Woods and waters rv park Newaygo MI

Very family friendly park great cost and a great area with lots of kids activitys

Ranger Review of Midland X-Talker Radio at Fort Custer State Rec Area

Campground Review:

After finding our original campground full, we were directed over to Fort Custer. We found a campsite that was large with vegetation separating us from neighbors. I didn't expect to find something this interesting as an alternate to original plans but it worked out nicely.

There are a couple hundred sites and most of them were full. Our site was on the far end of a loop. This meant a longer walk to the restrooms and showers. On the other hand, we were right across from an access trail to the blue hiking trail. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. It was overcast upon arrival only to have the sun shine down the next day. We soon found out that there was enough clearing in the treetops to give our camp full sun for most of the day. If you camp here, I suggest one of the other sites that would give you a break from the sunny heat.

We hiked on a multi-use trail that the ranger suggested. The blue trail goes around a couple lakes and was wonderful. We did miss a sign or two and ended up turning our 4 mile trip into a 6.5 mile one but there are plenty of spots to rest and enjoy the time. We passed other hikers and bikers and even some people trying their luck at fishing. There are quite a few mountain bike trails on the other side of the recreation area. A horse trail circles around the outside edge.

Product Review:

As a Dyrt Ranger I sometimes get products to evaluate. This trip I tested out the Midland X-Talker two way radio - T77VP5. The kit we used came bundled into a zippered case that is perfect for keeping everything organized. We charged it up before our trip and even tried it out in a school building.

We read reviews that said it might not work well in buildings and thought we should see. I gave them to two high schoolers and asked them to run throughout the place testing them as they went. They came back happy and excited and wanted to keep using them.

The real test came out in the woods. The belt clip snaps on easily and this stayed connected to my pack strap for our entire hike. The X-Talker fits nicely in the hand and the buttons are perfectly placed. Another feature I wanted to try was the weather radio. It scans channels automatically to find a weather channel in range. You just need to listen to the report as it cycles through the days. We had some rain and storms moving in so this proved useful in helping us sneak out of camp really early to avoid the downpour that was looming.

The Midland X-Talker T77VP5 radios worked wonderfully and will certainly see more use on future adventures.

Day hiking trip

It was only $2 to enter the park. There was three hiking trails to choose from, we choose the “turkey trail”. The trail was well marked but got quite confusing about 3/4 in. Tons of fun things to see here, beautiful stone bridges. Trail was well maintained.

We did not camp here but camp sites were very spread out and most very shaded.

Electric only hook up

Sites have electrical service only. Must use the dump station.

Worst ever

Cant give it any stars. Sucks that I had to. They done deserve 1 star. They have very strict rules.  5mph.. If you go over the lady screams at you and evicts you. She did that to 2 people while we were there. Stop at stop signs.. No problem. And no glass bottles..ok.. We were there because we were working in the area. Once all jobs were done on Sunday we went bank to the campground to shower and get ready for dinner.( mind you, between work and all we were hardly at the campground). Not thinking twice my husband pulled a bottle if beer out of the cooler that we brought from home Friday. He drank about 3/4 of it and the lady came up on her golf cart. Yelled at him about the glass bottle. ( we completely forgot) he went to drink the last of it and she snatched it outta his hand. She asked us "What kind of people are ".. We said. We are so sorry. We forgot. She said when are you checking out. Told her the next day. She walked away. We left for dinner. While waiting for a table, her husband called us and told us to get out.over 1 bottle of beer. She is crazy. They have morning for kids to do. No pool. No lake. Crappy playground. I'll never go there again.

No Privacy

Sandwiched between the highway and a parallel road, there’s not much room for privacy or quiet. I’ve hear there’s moderate fishing in the lake and plenty of shade though.

Lots of fun for the kids!

Older campground that was converted to an Outdoor Adventures property. The Activity Pavilion always had stuff for the kids to do plus there was free mini golf and a $5 go cart track.

Nice campground overlooking Ellsworth lake. Lot are decent size but not real level. Restroom / shower house outdated but fairly clean.

Great place

Love going there to ride the trails or walk my dogs the lakes are awesome great beach Great fishing awesome picnic areas nice boat launch. Most campsites are big with trees in between. Miles of biking and hiking trails

Small and cliche.

I just witnessed my first discrimination act.  Very sad to see.  Nice young couple trying to enjoy the park, very sad on park officials part to integrate the actions they chose to act on.

Not a good experience

I stayed here July of 2019 and was not impressed. The cabin I stayed in was alright and clean enough. However, the fire pit was in a terrible spot, sitting about a foot from the lake. The parking was cramped and the cabins were extremely close to one another. The bathrooms were also not well taken care of and were disgusting by the end of the weekend. I also didn’t realize it was right next to the expressway and it was loud. I don’t see myself visiting again.

Highway noise

Overall this place was nice. Nice fishing pond, the cleanest bathrooms I’ve ever seen at a campground and nice walking path. The camp store was small but there are gas stations right down the road along with a Meijer and restaurants. It was a little off putting that they had golf cart patrols so often, but I appreciated the quiet. Well people quiet. The highways a littler closer then it looks, so you do get a lot of road noise. Especially when trucks hit the chatter bumps on the side. Not the worse thing in the world, but worth noting. Overall a nice place.

4 years straight

We love this place. We rent the river rustic site. It’s right on the shore of the Muskegon river. There’s enough for the kids to do! Playground and swimming pools are great!

Use to be better

Great to be so close to town and the beach. Not much of a “vacation” with such strict drinking rules and tight quarters.

Beautiful super small camping in town

The campsites are located past the playground and shelter. Just keep driving down the road that looks like an alley. There is a wonderful place set up for just a few campers.

A couple sites are for tents only and the others are standard sites. There are a few trees by the sites but it’s mostly open area. Portable toilets are at the end of the camping area and in the playground area. The playground is a day use area for town so expect to meet some locals.

Driving just down the street takes you to the police station. This is where you register for the site. Town is around you and ready to explore. There are a few train tracks and industrial businesses which provide a bit of noise along with traffic. For us, the noise just slid right into the background.

This is a great place for a low price.

Family Camping

Nice family campground. Owners and staff are very friendly. Lots of planned activities for kids with weekend barrel train rides and hay rides. Playground and nice sandy swimming area. Only downfall is the proximity to the highway and lack of woodsy camping feeling. Restrooms are always immaculately clean. Close to Cedar Springs downtown. Plenty of dining option and great proximity to F. Meijer bike path.

Small & beautiful

This is a small campground with fairly good size sites. There is a playground in the center which was very handy for our little ones. They could play and we could watch from our site. The area was beautiful. The beach was clean and even had a snack shop where you could get a realest and rent a canoe or kayak.

The office was nice. It had a lot of good items, which I really appreciate when I come in late and needed to grab something quick to make (hotdogs!). There is also a candy shoppe in it. My kiddos could take a quarter to the office and pick out a treat.

The sites were very shaded and the bathrooms were very clean. If there is a downfall, it would be that the pieces of wood hat can be bought were huge! They had to be cut smaller to use well.

It has great nature opportunities too!!

Popular Summer Spot

This camp ground is very crowed, during the summer. The sites are close together, dirt, grass and semi-level. They have water, electric ,dump station, firepit & picnic table. There is a path to Lake Michigan. The beach is small but there is access to swimming. They also have an overlook, for a great sunset view. Park Wifi is very sketchy, even though we were right next to the transponder,  probably with so many people trying to connect. Verizon phone gets maybe 2 bars at it's best , LTE & Verizon mifi, will be able to bring in 3G.  All water spigots seem to leak and spray. However since it was so warm the kids seem to like it, however it does make a muddy mess. Each lot has room for a tent or gazebo. This park is huge and heavily wooded. If you're wanting your satellite to come in, there are only a few open spaces. We walked around it looked like site 76 and that general area, were open enough to get a clear shot. I would definitely stay at this campground again, but it will have to be off season, when there is a little more room to enjoy.

It’s ok

They overcharge for EVERYTHING! While there we over heard them planning a craft event (horse pool noodles) they said they paid $3.00 for all supplies combined and planned on charging each child $4.00! 🤬 They could careless if people drive the wrong way on their roads. The only plus to this place is the playground right in the middle of the park, oh and the $1.50 wagon ride! We’d never stay here again.

Fun for the kids!!

We found this campground last minute and it was our first time at a KOA. We usually camp at state parks but seeing we couldn’t get into one we figured this would be the next best thing seeing it had a pool. We have two girls of the age of five so the pool, the hayride, the night hayride, two parks, jump pad, and feeding the goats kept them busy. There was a lot to do so we didn’t feel the need to leave. We did venture out to a brewery 5-10 mins away in Allendale and Grand Haven is about 20-25 minutes away if you want to cruise out to Lake Michigan. The pool was clean and we had a lot on the pond. All of those sites were good size for small trailer. My only complaint was there were two buildings with showers and two showers each. A lot of the people that stay have RVs so the showers may not always be needed but I did notice there were lines for showers the day we left and I don’t usually run into this with a state park. If we wanted to get away again we would camp here again. Plus the owner and his family is super nice!!

Did the trick, beautiful walking

This campground was really nice and peaceful and there were lots of trees. We didn't have the best weather the weekend we went so there were a lot of tarps rigged up to provide shelter from possible rain.

There is a lake and really nice hiking trails that we took advantage of. The rangers were constantly patrolling (even at night) which was kind of weird. We couldn't buy firewood at the campground when we arrived.

Overall - good for a couple days, not our favorite.

Chill, comfortable, beautiful and would definitely come back!

5 friends and I drove out from Chicago to this campground and were pleasantly surprised by how great the campground and site were. I booked this site a month in advance during the summer so I must have just gotten really lucky! The site was cozy, not crazy spacious but enough for two tents and two cars.

The campground had a lot of motorhomes, families, and larger groups around us but it was still very quiet and peaceful. The rangers were really nice and you could buy ice and firewood at the campground.

There was a great 3.5 mile hike around the lake with really beautiful lake views and a great beach for swimming. We had an awesome time and would definitely come back here.

Old school quaint

I loved this campground really. It wasn't overbooked, everything was clean the gal at the desk kind and helpful. We had the river right down from us which was nice to swim in on a hot day. Pure Michigan indeed!

Quiet Friendly Campground

We found this campground online looking for a place to hold our annual family camp out.  Staff was very helpful in making reservations and holding sites for our group.  We called in March for the 3rd weekend in July and were able to get all the sites we needed together along with cabins for those without access to campers.  Nice large level sites very helpful staff.  Very pleasant long weekend.  Reasonable checkout and check in times.  In at 3 PM  out by 1 PM.

Loved this campground

Very clean. Nice level sites. Swimming in the lake was refreshing

Amazing

We came to duck creek to hit the Michigan adventure across the street this place is the cleanest park I ever seen grass and concrete all super nice and and the pool is great adult time was always nice added bonus

Great sites

This campground is great, it's only 25 minutes from Grand Haven beach. The sites are well treed and flat! Lots of the activities within the park, they have a small petting zoo, sky pad, playground. Several cottages in the park as well. Well be back.