Camden, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Camden Camping Reviews
Nice little county park.

The park at Swains Lake is really nice.  There is lake access to fish, playgrounds for the kids, and a nice pavilion.  The campground sites are pretty close together.  It's a nice place to camp during the week, but it did get really crowded on summer weekends.  I will say the shower house is GREAT!  Individual showers with locking doors for complete privacy.

The location is great to day trip around the area.  We enjoyed a day in Kalamazoo.  Jackson isn't far with major grocery stores and shopping.

Beautiful campground

Has a boat access, with a beautiful lake. You can go through little canals to get to other parts of the lake. Sites have perfect amount of shade. Defiantly will be going back

Our very first camping experience

This was our very first camping trip with the travel trailer and we loved it! We had family come up and really enjoyed it. We found a little hiking trail with the family and enjoyed taking our dog out on it. We will absolutely be going back next year!

Highly recommend !

Great campground! Stop over on drive back to PA from South Dakota! So pretty! Wish I was able to stay longer! I will go back to this beautiful area of the country!

Great Family Camping

We visited on one of the Halloween weekends. Lots of things for the kids to do. Haunted hayride and haunted house. We have been going for 10 plus years

Nice park

Second time here. Sites are shorter and sometimes uneven. Bike trail, hiking trails, store, beach, inn, nature center.

Clean, friendly staff

Camped here in the fall, very few campers here, loved it

New Park

Nice new park. More trees would be nice as it was quite windy when we visited. Good location.

Ok

This was an overnight stay on our way to Pennsylvania. It would be a bonus for big rigs as the pull Throughs are flat and easy to get into. We tend to prefer a back in because it usually gives us a bit more protection on the backside. Unfortunately, the site we were assigned took three blocks to level up, the the power was on the wrong side and our picnic table was in the back area of another camper. The bathroom was nice and close and handy. Some great effort has been made to make it attractive with two-tone tile but that is all overshadowed by the amount of spiders and bugs. I am a full-time RV year and shower all over the United States and this was one of the buggiest ever. The majority of this campground is for seasonals. There are some very nice seasonal lots with a small pond in their back Yard. The owner was very friendly and helpful on the phone. Serves a variety of needs.

Best place and the best friends

We wish the park was closer to home so we could go all of the time. We have met amazing people and there is so much for our daughter to do. We love Yogi!

Not feeling the love

When researching our trip, I came upon this state park right on the Maumee River and was very surprised to find it had not been previously reviewed. The website indicated the sites were tent only but when I called, I was told we could park and sleep in our campervan. When I tried to make reservations, there was a two-night minimum on the weekends and we were just passing through so I decided to see if we might be able to snag one night if there were sites available.

There is a two-mile road to the campsites once you enter the park and along the way, we passed many pull-out day-use picnic areas on nicely manicured grounds. Once we reached the campsites, there seemed to be less attention paid to the area. Turns out that there were only a very few sites that had paved pads that would accommodate our van; the rest were clearly for tents only (but there was no way to tell this from the website). Even though I had seen that about half of the sites were reserved, there was no one there at 4:30 on a Friday. There did not seem to be any staff or rangers on-site and there is self-registration. The rates seemed kind of steep ($19 on weekdays; $20 weekends and $22 on holiday weekends) for sites with no hookups and only porta-potties. We saw some people fishing near the dam and perhaps the campground would be suitable for these folks and/or people boating/kayaking in who portage down the river (there is a marina) but it just did not feel like a place we wanted to camp.

Nice, small, and quiet.

This is our 2nd time staying here and we really like it. It has a nice boat launch onto a sports lake that also connects to another larger sporting lake. There is a nice clean beach area, little bit pebbly, but always freshly raked and cleaned every morning.

It is mostly seasonal camper sites, however they do have a few sites for weekend campers like we are. One is a really nice group site that we always reserve and can accommodate 4 or more campers depending on the size. The group site is right next to the boat launch and beach.

The sites only have electricity, no water or sewer, but the amenities station is right near the restrooms and not terribly far away. It also has nicely paved roads and grassy sites. The weekend sites are not shaded, there are no trees on the group site.

The showers and restrooms are very clean and a clean porta-potty is located near the boat launch as well.

There are two very nice and well kept playgrounds as well that also have toddler swings as well as swings for bigger kids.

My only complaint is, the group site always is riddled with goose droppings. We’ve taken to bringing a rake and large outdoor rugs because it can be really bad. But, that being said, there isn’t a ton that can be done about that and we still really enjoy this campground.

Nice place

Take the kids there and they love it. Nice little fishing pier and access to Round lake and Wamplers lake. Decent beach and park.

Great place

For a city campground it’s very nice and friendly atmosphere and very quiet place to relax and enjoy a long weekend

Nice getaway

Cool trails nearby, really like this site. Well kept and a very relaxed environment to get away. Just also happens to be the closest camping spot!

great spot

Absolutely beautiful hiking area. Nice place to camp right on blind lake. It's a 7 mile hike in (can also be accessed via boat), part of the Potowatomi loop trail (~18 miles) located in Waterloo-Pinckney recreation area. This place is filled with all sorts of mushrooms, never seen that many different species in one place. Parking for trailhead is at silver lake, be cautious as trail is primarily used for mountain biking. Be sure to walk counter-clockwise if walking the full loop trail, so that you see them coming. Not a big deal, fairly easy to step out of the way quickly. Lots of wildlife and a good bit of elevation change and 2 sections that can be skipped via shortcut if not up for the full 18 miles. Great views and lots of biodiversity, was surprised at how many different landscapes it seems you move through in such a short distance!

A good stop

This is a campground of largely seasonal campers. The small but adequate campsite that we were assigned served us well for a two day layover in our travels. Friendly park staff, shower, small lake for fishing. There were people swimming although it looks very inviting with the amount of weeds in the water. Nice general store with hand dipped ice cream. Near town of Coldwater which has everything you would need, including a theater on a rainy day. Electric and water. $30

Peaceful Greenery

I had a friend's wedding at The Stables (which I didn't realize was 3 min away) and decided to camp here rather than get a hotel. I set up right at 3 at Site 7 - there's no check-in process or attendant. I hadn't printed my permit, so I wondered if I would get a visit from a ranger but all was quiet. The site was spacious, sandy, and well suited for both tent and hammock. The fire ring was in good condition and fire wood was already stacked. The property was well maintained and the bathrooms clean and cool - the women's did have some standing water from a leaky toilet it looked like. You can hear distant cars and some not so distant planes. Also, while all the sites are wooded the woods are not very thick so you can see and hear your neighbors pretty well. Site number three looks at the most secluded to me while site number four was pretty much in the open beside the bathrooms. Group sites were full sun it appeared. The stream behind my site was dry. Nice map and brochures at the parking area. Sturdy picnic tables.

Very nice

Good servis, clean, polite peoples,

BEST campground in Michigan - true hidden treasure

Rob and Vicki are the owners and are absolutely phenomenal! They are so attentive and focused on their campers and the experience of each camper. Rockey’s is clean and have nice showers and bathrooms. They store us anything you would need - even worms. Rockey’s is on a chain of 5 lakes and has some of the best fishing! Rob and Vicki do so much for the kid campers too! We go every year for Memorial Day and they remember us every time. We call to make our reservations every February when the office opens up. They are so responsive to phone and email. Rockey’s is by far our favorite campground! I highly recommend to all looking for an off the map, relaxing outdoor experience.

Great family camping

If you are looking for lots of things to do and water fun, this is your place! Lots of scheduled activities and playgrounds available. Nothing compares to their outdoor pool areas and 2 jumping pillows. Only complaint would be that if you are planning a summer weekend you have to book wayyyyy in advance due to demand.

Great time with skoolies

Met up with 18 other skoolies our first Indiana meet. Met great people had a fantastic time. Great park kids swam, showers are clean. Electric at sites but water isn’t but very close by.

Quiet county campground

Quiet county campground with full hook up, staff helpful nice facility.  Very family friendly

The lakes are the best!

I love the lilly pad "maze"through the lake, by far the most fun I had there, and it's the most beautiful part of the park. Can't wait to go back!

Nice locally owned facility

Always pleasant when we use this facility. Staff is helpful. We go once a year before hitting the road. Great for groups and conferences.

Beautiful lakes

Can get pretty busy during summer weekends. Nice park, good trails and the lakes and very nice. Good fishing areas. You can rent boats here. Campground is decent. Primitive sites are bigger than the RV sites and in more wooded area, but there are not many sites. Staff is friendly and welcoming. Only one car per site, but there are two large visitor lots for extra cars.

Beautiful Stay

I have stayed in the Inn and the camp site. I highly recommend it. There are so many activities that people of all ages can enjoy! I Particularly like the horse back riding trails, and in the winter there are toboggan rides!

Family Fun and bountiful acitivities

I have stayed at this state park many times since I was little. There is so much to do. Between the hiking trails, boating, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and biking. You won’t ever get bored. The facility is clean and very safe.

CCC structures make it!

Beautiful, park-like, large campground with mature trees and nice bathrooms with showers.

Lots to do

They have lots of hiking, biking, and boating. They have cabins, rob hook ups, and tent camping.