Britton, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Britton Camping Reviews
Amazing!!!

The most well kept, private, beautiful campground I've been to so far. I've been a camper my whole life but a year ago the wife and I purchased a new camper with the goal of seeing a new campground each time we camped. This campground was recommended by a co-worker for how private each site is. We were truly amazed at the park, the HUGE beach on lake Erie, the inland Beach, the 2-mile boardwalk through the wetlands, the Big Hill, and the nature center. Highly recommend. Wifey says the bathrooms were Excellent (most important for her).

Great campground

New owners in 2019 were very nice and helpful. There is a camp store that has literally everything you can think of needing for camping, and more plus regular food. It’s nice the swimming hole and fishing pond are separated. The bathrooms were always clean and the newer ones are very nice. Highly recommend.

Nice little county park.

The park at Swains Lake is really nice.  There is lake access to fish, playgrounds for the kids, and a nice pavilion.  The campground sites are pretty close together.  It's a nice place to camp during the week, but it did get really crowded on summer weekends.  I will say the shower house is GREAT!  Individual showers with locking doors for complete privacy.

The location is great to day trip around the area.  We enjoyed a day in Kalamazoo.  Jackson isn't far with major grocery stores and shopping.

Beautiful campground

Has a boat access, with a beautiful lake. You can go through little canals to get to other parts of the lake. Sites have perfect amount of shade. Defiantly will be going back

Awesome!

This place is by far one of the greatest campgrounds we’ve been to that is family oriented! We stay memorial day weekend and the last weekend of the season which is the harvest festival. My grandchildren always have a blast as well as grandma and Papa! Lots of pull through sites lots of tree shaded lots gives you that rustic camping feel with all the amenities.

Halloween Fun

I've been going to this campground for years, but mainly for the Halloween camping. It's a fun time of the year to go and the kids always have a blast. Most sites decorate and some site go all out with haunted houses. The campground puts on a lot of activities for the kids. Now for a little feedback: the shower and bathroom facilities need some updating. They look the same from when I was younger. With all of the money spent on sites (I tent camp), they should be a afford upgrades. The outdoor staff are always pleasant but they need cleaner outfits; the box sells the cereal. Lastly, the cost of this place is so expensive for tent campers. I get if you're actually using resources with a camper but tent sites don't use a lot. "free" pancakes are served every morning on the weekends (not sure about weekdays). Overall a nice place with a lot to do, but I only go for Halloween due to high cost. Don't let it deter you for Halloween!

Rustic, beautiful views

We got lucky with our site right on the water and the temperature was nice and cool so we did not have to deal with any bugs. We hiked right in and setup camp. This place only allows camping for one night as it's considered a pass-through campground. There is a decently clean outhouse(it appears to be cleaned daily by DNR staff), and each site has its own fire pit. The views are wonderful and the surrounding sites appeared to be enjoying themselves as well. Our site, B6, was equipped with a table, bench, and a fire pit. From what I could tell no other sites had a bench; fire pit and table only. We found another place to park which allowed us to cut down on our hike time because I was not about that 4 miles+ life. Our hike was maybe 15, 20 minutes tops. If staying on the water is not your jam, there were places at a higher elevation to try. There is also a fresh water pump. No electricity. You must hunt for the wood you want to burn in the pit. No ground fires. A great time!

Great local camping area

Wiregrass lake was a very nice camping atmosphere. There are only 3 camping spots around the lake so you’re not packed in like sardines. The atmosphere is very calm, quiet, and relaxing. The lake offers great fishing opportunities and doubles as a nice spot to sit by the water, enjoy the local wildlife and relax. Each site has a raised gravel pad for your tent, a picnic table, fire ring, and a trash and free wood box that is fully stocked. If your looking for a camping experience without being surrounded by a whole bunch of people this is it

Fun with family and pets!

Nice lakes for swimming and can take your pet as well!  Big playground and nice bathrooms

Family

Nice campground for family and activities.  Good dock for the kids to fish

Great campground right off Lake Erie

We've stayed at Maumee Bay state campground a few times now and continue to go back because of how easy the stay is. Last minute plans are easy here! The sites are well maintained and a camp store is available for anything you might have forgot. Bundles of wood and bikes to rent as well. Shrubs and trees provide enough privacy from neighbors next door and there is enough room on each site for a few tents. Well maintained bathrooms and showers are available. They even have coffee and donuts every Saturday and Sunday for a small fee. Biking and hiking trails that wrap around the camp and over to the beach and lakefront. I can securely camp here without fearing getting poison ivy!

Very nice campground

This campground is now become one of my favorites. There is not a bad site. Site are large and private. The made them with large hedges and trees for privacy. Bathrooms and showers were very clean. There are plenty of hired help and volunteers to keep this campground clean. The waste station provides hoses to dump to help speed up the final stop before you leave. Highly recommend this park.

Great place to go

This is lovely place to try out when your short on time. You can try out your new gear or just enjoy being outside. Very easy to get to and if you want to camp overnight you can buy a permit online super easy. This place is open year-round.

Lake views

Arrived to a super friendly guy Chris that escorted us to our site. We have a pull thru that was very spacious with a long driveway . Nice lake view across the road. This location has 4 lakes. There is plenty of nature. Lots of trees along a nature trail. Cranes and ducks in the water . The first night was super quiet! The second night was a little louder with a live band near by the campground. Overall nice place . Store has everything you may need at reasonable prices .

Decent campground on the Maumee River

Only 30 minutes down the river from Independence Dam State Park, this park was markedly different. Because there was a two-night minimum reservation on weekends and we were just passing through, we decided to try and roll the dice and see if we could slide into a spot for just a night without a reservation. Alas, the only spots still available were walk-in tent sites which would not work for us. This park was laid out more like an RV park with the sites very close together and no privacy between them (Site 16 looked to be the best one for privacy). Except for the walk-in tent sites, electric and/or electric/water hookups were available. As we pulled in, the host immediately greeted us and was very friendly (she genuinely wanted to find us a spot). There is a marina/store close-by and the quaint town of Grand Rapids (which you could walk to if you wanted) had several shops and restaurants. We would have stayed here for the night if a site had been available, so make sure you make reservations if you are coming on a weekend (and can stay for two nights).

Nice place

Take the kids there and they love it. Nice little fishing pier and access to Round lake and Wamplers lake. Decent beach and park.

Nice place but very tight

Campsites were pretty clean. Kids loved the pond beach and the water slide. The only down side was they pack in the campers super tight. I would guess 22 feet wide and I only had 5 feet behind my 30 foot camper until you reach the next camper.

Great Place

Amazing staff and campground

Nice getaway

Cool trails nearby, really like this site. Well kept and a very relaxed environment to get away. Just also happens to be the closest camping spot!

Fun with friends

Great area to be with friends. The round area's with the sites on the outside and common area on the inside make fro a great group type setup.

A Wonderful Winter Getaway

We stayed in the Southfork Rustic Cabin at the end of Feb and it was lovely much needed get away. The cabin was semi modern (solar lighting) but only a wood stove for heat. Small kitchen unit with table for eating. You had to hike in about a quarter mile to get there, and it sleeps four people with two bunk beds. There is an outside vault toilet behind the cabin. Lots of trails connecting the cabin to the rest of the park. Cheap too! Only $68 per night.

Nice rv campground

Did some car camping on the way to Tennessee, stopped here and set up my tent. Well kept area, mostly for campers/ travel trailers, open not too many trees may have to get creative if hammocking

Gorgeous wildlife area turtles frogs swan deer blue heron

Amazing hiking spot, rarely see anyone out past the boardwalks despite this being one of the only nature areas for miles. It is right next to the landfill, but really is a beautiful place, so many birds here. Blue herons, swan, swallows, geese. Watch out for geese, they like to block the only pathway to the parking lot, and after hiking 8 miles around the marshes your only option is to walk past them hoping they don't attack lol. There's really no way of avoiding them and you must get very close to get by, had a few gimme the stink eye and a warning hiss, other than that all is well!

Flat sites, water, toilet, hike/boat in

Absolutely beautiful hiking area. Nice place to camp right on the lake. It's a 7 mile hike in(can also be accessed via boat), part of the Potowatomi loop trail(~18 miles) located in Waterloo-Pinckney recreation area. This place is filled with all sorts of mushrooms, never seen that many different species in one place. Parking for trailhead is at silver lake, be cautious as trail is primarily used for mountain biking. Be sure to walk counter-clockwise if walking the full loop trail, so that you see them coming. Not a big deal, fairly easy to step out of the way quickly. Lots of wildlife and a good bit of elevation change and 2 sections that can be skipped via shortcut if not up for the full 18 miles. Great views and lots of biodiversity, was surprised at how many different landscapes it seems you move through in such a short distance!

Lovely . . . . . Or would have been without the kids ;)

The camp was small, but lovely.  I enjoyed the setting and hiking, but swimming did not keep the kids (ages 1.5, 3, 5 &6) entertained for long.  It's my ideal location for a quiet solo camp, maybe next time.

Beautiful campground

Great RV resort with clean bathrooms and shower rooms. Wood delivery is great! Friendly staff!

Beautiful, clean, a great stop over!

Stopped here for a brief overnight in my tent on a cross country trip. The office was open after 8pm, which was great! The landscape is beautiful, lots of smooth roads around the park for sunset bike rides, bass ponds, etc. One drawback is the sites are small and close together. Me and my neighbors could easily hear each other’s conversations. Bathrooms are clean and centralized. Felt great to have a hot shower!

Vary nice

Vary nice quiet campground. Love the privet showers and has a great camp store and conssion stand.

Peaceful Greenery

I had a friend's wedding at The Stables (which I didn't realize was 3 min away) and decided to camp here rather than get a hotel. I set up right at 3 at Site 7 - there's no check-in process or attendant. I hadn't printed my permit, so I wondered if I would get a visit from a ranger but all was quiet. The site was spacious, sandy, and well suited for both tent and hammock. The fire ring was in good condition and fire wood was already stacked. The property was well maintained and the bathrooms clean and cool - the women's did have some standing water from a leaky toilet it looked like. You can hear distant cars and some not so distant planes. Also, while all the sites are wooded the woods are not very thick so you can see and hear your neighbors pretty well. Site number three looks at the most secluded to me while site number four was pretty much in the open beside the bathrooms. Group sites were full sun it appeared. The stream behind my site was dry. Nice map and brochures at the parking area. Sturdy picnic tables.

Nice size sites for a state park

First thing that caught my attention is that sites are larger than most state park campgrounds. The bathrooms are standard state park stuff, but they are clean. Lake is a bit weedy, but trails are great for hiking. Remember, only electric at the state parks.