Yurts
About Lake Michigan Campground at Muskegon State Park
Lake Michigan Campground at Muskegon State Park is located in Michigan
24 Reviews of Lake Michigan Campground at Muskegon State Park
Family vacation

Busy but well kept with endless fun activities available.

Beautiful location

Plenty of hiking and biking trails nearby, plus it's right next to Lake Michigan!

Camping in Muskegon State Park

One of my favorite campsites in the state of Michigan. Have camped here 5 times now. Campsites have tree coverage and easy access to the lake. The beach accessed through this campground is one of the best in the state. Across from the campsite are many miles of beautiful hiking trails, including ones that go by the old luge track. The bathrooms in the campsite are some of the cleanest and showers are very nice. Campsites aren’t very private, which can be a downside if neighbors are loud.

Nice park on the lake

Camped here in July. The campground was very busy with a lot of families. The campsites were spacious, some rather sloped on the backside of the large sand dunes. There was a lot of tree canopy for shade as well, but little privacy between sites. Can’t stop from people watching if you tried. The restroom was large and the showers stay busy with folks washing off the soft sand from the beach area on Lake Michigan. There are wooden stairs to get over the dunes and down to the lake. At sunset it feels like half the campground gathers on those stairs to watch the sunset over the lake. We enjoyed that activity on the beach as well. Although the park was extremely busy, after the sun goes down it was fairly quiet.

Beautiful setting

camped here with family and we had an awesome time! it was a smidge loud since it’s next to the road, but nothing we couldn’t handle. The beach is right there at the campground, which is absolutely great. The other campground at Muskegon state park is the Channel campground, but if you’re camping at this one I still would say the channel is worth seeing! The woods surrounding are great for hiking, and we were excited to find geocaches around the park 😁

Every Year...

I have been coming to this campground since I was very young. It started as a small group of close family and friends. Everyone loved it so much they started inviting others and now we have a HUGE group that meets up every year. It is a highlight of my summer.

Love the beach during the day and at night. Being able to shower in clean facilities is nice and Ruth Ann’s ice cream is a short walk or bike ride to one end of the park. We are bringing our son back this summer to carry on the tradition.

March 2019

We went in March so the weather was cold but doable. 20 degrees at night but with electricity hookups we put a space heater in our tent. Campsites are nice no running water at that time of year & only primitive outhouses. Great beaches the sand was so soft & the dunes are perfect.

Great beach, nicely shaded

We stay in this campground once per year with friends. Lots of the sites are slopped, but the extensive canopy provides lots of shade and the beach is exclusively for camper use. Great place to spend time with old friends. Make sure to try the ice cream shop just outside the North end of the park.

Ranger Review: Snapbuds at Muskegon State Park Lake Michigan Campground

Campground Review

Lake Michigan Campground in Muskegon State Park was a great place to pull in for the night. We had ice cream for supper at the adjacent ice cream shop (where they advertised a free cone with your firewood purchase). We pulled in and settled into our cabin with enough time to enjoy sunset over Lake Michigan from the stairs and overlooks along the beach. The campground is well kept and has a nice shady canopy. The sites are fairly large, but there are no shrubs or structures to provide privacy from neighbors. We reserved a camping cabin and found it clean and functional with power, 4 beds (bunks), mini fridge and microwave. The showers were good sized with plenty of hot water, but being beach style, there was a lot of bug access. Expect to shower with some insects. I was a frustrated birder - I could hear the birds but couldn’t pick them out visually since they were all up so high with no low cover. All in all I would say this is a great campground for beach access, better in the cabins or an RV than in a tent since there isn’t much privacy.

Ranger Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to review occasionally. On this trip I had a chance to try out Snapbuds, an earbud detangling system. We received the snapbuds before we left Colorado and used the enclosed guide to get them set up on my earbuds - it was a snap! The instructions say they can’t be repositioned once in place, so we were cautious about setting them up right the first time. I don’t use my earbuds often on road trips since I’m the only driver and I like to listen for birds on a walk - but after a few long days in the car with my kids choosing the playlists, this mamma was super excited to whip my earbuds out! I had them shoved in the back of my purse where we’d been rummaging around for various things over the course of the trip, so they had every opportunity to be a tangled mess - but they came out in a neat little wad and unraveled easily to take me away from the teens fighting over beds. I was pleased with how neat they stayed. My one word of caution is that the magnets really like to stick together, and if you create slack while wearing your earbuds (by bending to pick up a perfect rock or acorn, for instance) they have a tendency to find one another and shorten your cord, potentially dislodging your earbud when you straighten back up.

Clean and woodsy State park.

Looking for a place near Michigan Adventures and this has a great feel to it.