Mercer, MAINE

Most Recent Mercer Camping Reviews
Quiet, Spacious, Lots of Amenities

While we don’t usually stay in private campgrounds due to their high cost, the price was reasonable for the quality of this campground and amenities provided. We were in need of a shower and a place for the night and this campground was perfectly situated off the highway to Greenville.

Most of the sites are designed for larger RVs with full hook-ups, but they have just a handful of simple tent/small camper sites without services, which is exactly what we needed.   Just a picnic table and fire ring and some privacy and we were happy campers.

The shower house was newly remodeled and very clean, as was the laundry facility with dishwashing/utility sink. The campground has access to over 1000 miles of trails, which are designed for ATV’s. They even have an ATV washing station. While it was not open in late September, the campground offers a nice pool, game room for the kids of all ages, a small camp store, and even has a snack bar and ice cream counter.  And, if you are seeking some amazing hiking, it's relatively close to Borestone Mountain and sections of the Appalachian Trail.

The young husband and wife team who own/run the place are very sweet folks who seem to really pay attention to the needs of their customers.  For instance, they recently spent a good deal of money on high speed wifi because that is what their customers said they wanted.  We didn't need it, so can't comment on its quality, but it's there if you do.

Small, friendly campground in a perfect spot!

This small, private campground just outside Grafton Notch State Park offers clean, level, quiet sites with hot showers. If you don’t need wi-fi and hook-ups, this is the place for you! Seasonal decorations and solar lights decorate and brighten the paths. A small field near the bath house offers benches and horsehoes. A river runs behind the first several sites on the right side of the loop road. There’s a dump station available. It’s a great spot to stay if you are looking to hit the trail and want an early start.

I stayed here in site 4 a few years ago during my quest for the New England 4000-footers and stopped by recently to check it out again.

Hiking opportunities abound in the area, including the notorious Mahoosuc Notch stretch of the Appalachian Trail or family friendlier Table Rock as well as Crocker, Baldpate, and the Grafton Loop. At the right time of year, you may have a chance to chat with through hikers. Splash in the pools at Screw Auger Falls or Step Preserve falls on a hot summer day. Look for moose and other wildlife at dusk or dawn. This is a true retreat.

Breathtakingly beautiful lake

This was the second of four huts on Maine Huts and Trails network of trails and it is situated very close to a gorgeous lake. The fall colors were at peak when we were there. I had never heard of Maine Huts and Trails (a small non-profit organization) and likely would not have if we had not traveled with an organized group for a three-day hut to hut experience. Although they are called huts, I would call them lodges. There is a large main area with showers, compostable toilets, a kitchen, and shared dining and living room space. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy. There are no electrical outlets or cell service, so you are off the grid.

The bunkhouses are shared and each one accommodates up to eight people.

When it is open and staffed, meals are provided, and the food is good. Dietary needs are taken into account.

Now for the bad news: One of the four huts (Poplar Stream) has already temporarily closed and all the huts are in jeopardy of not operating during the winter due to a severe financial shortfall. The catch 22 is that they likely do not have money for advertising so very few people know about them. I’m hopeful that by spreading the word on The Dyrt, more people will discover how beautiful they are, become members, donate to them, volunteer, and/or hopefully enjoy time spent in one of the huts.

Overpriced

This campground is overpriced for the location, amenities and condition of the sites. The lay of the land is sloped and they need to improve drainage of run off. The site was very wet with standing water making most of the site unusable. The post that the electrical box and water was hooked to was in standing water. The water hose coming out of the ground had a leak and was spurting out water. I was given a price and paid half at time of booking. Upon arriving at campground I was charged additional fees. When asking why I was being charged so much more than what I was originally told the explanation was I don't know. I had to push to get this info. It boiled down to that I had changed my reservation due to a conflict. At that time I was never advised of a price change so what a shock upon arrival. I pushed back I was told sorry it is what it is. I was a first time visitor to this campground and will not be returning.

Wish all campgrounds were this nice!

Moe and her husband built this campground after he retired (sadly, he has since passed away so now Moe and her energetic dog, Rusty, run the place). It is located just a few miles down the road from the state park with the same name (I was a bit confused at first, thinking the state park has a campground, which it does not). This is a small, fifteen site campground located on the Bear River, and it is immaculate. It is obvious that Moe takes great pride in her campground with many little touches like flowers and seasonal, yet tasteful decorations. There was only one additional site occupied when we were there, so it was very quiet. Our site (site 7) backed up directly to the river with a path to access it. The restrooms were spotless, as was the shower. There is no additional fee to use the shower and it had plenty of hot water and a great spray. Sites are all level and trees provide sufficient privacy between them. In the middle, there is a grassy area with a table, several Adirondack chairs, and a horseshoe pit. There is potable and non-potable water, and a dump station and an information board with information on nearby hiking trails and weather.

Nice campground!

This is a huge campground with very nice wooded spots! We stayed on a Friday night and there weren’t many people. The bathrooms and showers are nice as well. The campground has a trail to the beach of the lake! Many trails are available in the park too.

Great place

Perfect basecamp for outdoor adventures. Sites are very large. Facilities are very clean and cleaned daily. It was very quiet the 3 nights we were there (but it was also after Labor Day). Lakefront sites have gorgeous views. We saw loons and bald eagles on the lake daily. There is cell service for both Verizon & AT&T. The market right outside the campground entrance has just about everything you might need. We will definitely be back.

Great place

Sites are very large and spacious. You are not on top of the next one. Facilities are bright and clean. Every site has its own "fire box" with cooking grate. There is no "general store" but just outside the entrance to the campground is a gas station/general store which has everything from deli meats to hardware. The sites along Flaggstaff Lake have some spectacular views.

Family Tradition

This place is awesome. Our family loves Cathedral Pines. We have been coming here every summer since I was a kid. They have a great water front, playground, and an area add (which we could only go to once we earned our $1 a day). It’s also close to pines market where you can walk, ride your bike, or drive to pick up some snacks and other camping essentials!

Wonderful Gem of Turner

This is a wonderful campground. The sites are large and well kept. The grounds are in great condition. This is definitely a gem in Turner. Zach is an excellent host. I would highly recommend booking a site. "Paul Bennett"

Favorite

Great weekend, quiet and well spaced sited.

Less than average

The family and I stayed at Poland Spring Campground for 8 days this August. It’s a family campground with activities for kids but make siblings share arts and crafts materials if the activities director doesn’t plan ahead. (Lots of crying from my youngest because she wanted to make one herself and showed up to the activity 15 minutes early, yet, got her materials yanked out of her hands when another child showed up 15 minutes late). Very strict 4 adult, 4 child per site rule so forget about having even paying visitors. Quiet time is 11 (even talking!) they will force you to go to sleep by 11 if you’re not COMPLETELY silent! Practically destroyed my camper getting in and out of the campground thanks to the way they tell you to get to your site (unnecessarily making me loop through the whole damn place instead of taking the straight shot in) Trees and roots everywhere making it impossible to take turns and forget about kids on bikes! I cleaned so many wounds during our stay from my kids falling off their bikes thanks to the landscape. Really weird dirt there also, it’s like a clay of some sort and caked to the bottom of your shoes and made a mess all through the camper no matter what I did. A couple of us went barefoot a lot and they are still treating a weird rash that developed on the bottom of their feet. We will not be going back. The only reason I gave them a star at all is because of Riley in the front office. Long walk to the “beach” no matter which campsite you book. No place to lay out so leave your beach chair at home. Bathroom on my side of the campground was disgusting! So many bugs and spiders and the clay dirt was all over the floors even right after they cleaned.

Small and Quiet

We stayed here 8/24-8/26/2019 Nice small campground with the lake and lake side camping available No WiFi or cable hook up and sewer hooks are limited but we liked it

Beautiful location

This campground has a gorgeous view of the lake. A great place to fish for bass and yellow perch. The campground was very rustic and quiet. Bathroom electrical outlet did not work. The Owner was extremely pleasant and helpful. A lot of water activities available for families. A very nice place to go to relax.

Fantastic family camping!

We had so much fun at this campground. So many many things to do for kids. The swimming pool was awesome as well as the water slides. The fireworks on July 4th could match Disney World! Wonderful place to camp!

Excellent Campground

This place quiet , clean , nice private campsites. Lots of things to do in the area such as swimming, fishing , hiking and mountain biking that we enjoyed. Our son enjoyed golfing just up the road on Sugarloaf. Saw various wildlife like moose and deer. We really are enjoying our stay here!

Family Fun!

Beaver Brook in Monmouth Maine is a must stay if you have kids from babies to teens. Our family has been going annually for the last five years. We meet up with a couple Moms and their children who we don’t get to see too often and make it a “girls and kids” trip and have a blast making memories and gives us moms a well deserved break. This year we opted for a small group site with a centrally located fire pit and spent our days in the lake, pool, or just hanging out while our kids (ranging from 8-12) rode their bikes, made friends at the playground or participated in the activities that the camp had to offer. Sites are all big with plenty of room between the sites for the perfect amount of privacy. Hook ups for water/electric/sewer but also tons of tent sites too. Staff is friendly and helpful, kids loved the big red and blue slides at the pool, restaurant, ice cream and store all in the same area.

For parents; live entertainment with local bands on Saturday nights, an adult only swim nightly. (Playground is close enough to the pool to actually enjoy this while listening to my kids play), candy bar bingo (where you can play bingo WITH your kids and was quite fun) and just a nice atmosphere all around between all the other families there.

Will definitely be back next year!

Great campsite

My daughter and I stayed there last Friday night and shared the site with some wonderful people. Site was quiet and really felt like one was “in” the Maine woods. 4 platforms and a privy. “Water source” for the site had dried up when we got there but there was just enough flow on a spring that crossed the trail about 100 ft north of the site. Beautiful! 4 out of 5 only because the privy seat was “dirty” if you will, but not full. Awesome weekend! Thank you MATC.

All My Children

We camped at Lone Mountain Riverfront Campground with all our children and grandchildren and with our camping buddies and all their children and grandchildren. I believe there were 30 of us. The day before our trip Corrie ( the owner) called to offer to switch us to the water and electric sites because of the impending hot weather. We are so grateful because it was HOT and the bugs were bad in the field (late spring). We had the best time! Our families had started camping together 30 years ago, when our kids were little. The owners let us all stay together and our grandkids had fun riding bikes and playing in the river. Campfires at night and stargazing. The bathrooms are clean and beautiful. The river is pristine and safe for little ones. Tom and Corrie did everything g to make our stay memorable and comfortable. This our new FAVORiTE campground. It’s a new start up and the sites spacious and mostly grassy. There are water and electric $39. A night and there are sites along the river and under trees with no hook ups. There is also a fully equipped tent with bunk beds on site in a field. Beautiful location with beautiful people. Come check it out, but save a site for me!

So close you can hear the river at night

We stayed late July for 3 nights during the week. Our site was right next to the river and was fantastic. Ellis pond and Webb lake were close and great to take to canoe out. Worth the trip up to rangeley roughly 40 miles from the camp. Overall great stay.

Small but nice camp.

Lovely staff and campground . Sites are wide and long enough . Great Wifi and they use satellite TV, you need their converter but you get your deposit back when you turn it in. It is very close to the highway so there there is some traffic noise but not bad. Tents are in a different area.

We LOVE this campground!!!

My husband, two dogs and I came to Lone Mountain (with 6 other families) and had a wonderful time! Tom and Corie are absolutely amazing. The campground is fantastic. The bathhouse is clean and beautiful. The beach is so awesome, Great for small kids and adults alike.  There are so many options for campsites (power, no power, field, woods, even a Tentrr (?) to rent?) there are a couple of stores nearby if you forgot essentials. (And the stores were pretty great too) We can’t wait for our next trip!!!!

Casey and Nathaniel Alves (and Ria and Ella 🐾)

Wonderful remote camping area

Family run campground. Clean and well cared for. Great for kids.

Great camping!

We have camped at Papoose Pond every year for the last three years. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Lots of activities and fun things to do. You definitely get your money’s worth with Papoose Pond Camping!

Great campground

Lots of nice spacious wooded sites. Located on 2 sides of a road, the side opposite the lake was much nicer and more spacious. Sites around the lake very crowded together. Sites across road much more spacious. Pool on that side too. Lots of activities for the kids too. Highly recommend and will definitely go back!

Amazing in all aspects!

Nestled in western Maine just past Sugarloaf ski mountain lies Cathedral Pines. When you arrive you will appreciate the name. Running alongside beautiful Flagstaff lake this campsite offers something for everyone. Beautiful sunrises over the Bigelow mountains, hikes along the Appalachian Trail, bike trails, kayaking, canoeing, swimming , fishing and the ability to just huddle around the fire with a book! You can even take a short drive to the Canadian border or visit the numerous antique shops along the way in town.

There is a kids activity center where planned activities are always a hit. There is even an arcade for the kids if weather is bad. Spacious sites, some with power and water and some without. A winding maze of paved roads intertwine thru the woods. Perfect for the kids and adults alike to bike!

I am partial to waterfront sites because I love being the first up to start coffee and watch the sun rise and morning break. I've also stayed inside the campground more away from the water and have no complaints. All the facilities are meticulously cleaned and the staff are amazing!

Every year when the few families we camp with get together to pick our campgrounds and dates, it's always when are we going to Cat Pines, not will we go.

Best Family Vacation

We’ve been camping as a large group here every year for 12 years. Perfect spot to relax and get away from everything. Great amount of amenities and privacy.

Wonderful Staff

The staff is very nice and helpful. The sites are level but the campground is in a hill. There is lots of room for kids to play.

Convenient and close to home

This campground is small family owned. The owners are outgoing and nice. The store offers handmade craft items with awesome prices and a small selection of take out foods. And ice cream. Again prices are reasonable. Activities are listed on the board and are fun. Variety of RV sites. Waterfront are our favorite. Play area for kids.

Tranquil beauty

This is a new campground and it is beautiful. The grounds and facilities are well kept, but not overdeveloped. We stayed with friends in our travel trailers. The sites are equipped with power and water in the upper sites. There are lush grassy sites some are in open field and some under trees. The river runs high in the spring and a little lower at other times. I feel the beach is perfect for my grandchildren to play in. They are developing an equestrian area and a playground is in the future. The bathrooms are gorgeous with flush tolerance and private shower stalls. There is a dump station and water. The owners are very welcoming and accommodating. There is a lovely diner just up the road that serves an amazing breakfast. Come check out this campground.