Cornville, MAINE

Most Recent Cornville Camping Reviews
Worth the hike-in, very close to the AT

Beautiful hike-in sites located along the Pleasant River, and a great access point for hiking on the Appalachian Trail or in Gulf Hagas area!  We didn’t stay at these sites, but came across them while hiking just off the AT.

Each site has a picnic table and fire ring, with access to a clean latrine (with TP!).  No potable water is available, but the river is easily accessible for dishwashing and boiling/filtering. Firewood is available for purchase at the access gate at Katahdin Iron Works, but keep in mind you’ll have to carry it about ¾ of a mile, and across a river.

For safety, no bikes or ATV’s are allowed beyond the Katahdin Iron Works gate, as these roads belong to the logging companies in the area and there can be many fast-moving logging trucks. The town of Milo is where you’ll find the closest grocery stores and gas stations, but it’s a bit of a drive so come prepared.

Note about costs: Located in the Maine North Woods, getting here is quite a journey, but ooohh so worth it. It’s on the way to nowhere, you have to pay to get through the gate at Katahdin Iron Works, pay a daily access fee, and daily camping fee.  Note: If you are planning to backpack on the AT from this location, the pricing is very different, so be sure to ask!

First time we've seen moose FROM our campsite!

This was an unexpectedly beautiful site and great access point for hiking on the Appalachian Trail or Gulf Hagas area! We were seeking a place to stay 1 night just before embarking on a backpacking trip. The woman at the Katahdin Ironworks gatehouse selected the site for us and couldn’t have picked a better one.

Lots of privacy, beautiful view of the river, and we even were visited by a moose and her calf one evening! Each site has a covered picnic table and fire ring, with access to a private, clean latrine (with TP!) across the road. No potable water is available, but the stream is easily accessible for dishwashing and boiling/filtering. Firewood is available for purchase at the access gate at Katahdin Iron Works.

Note about costs: Located in the Maine North Woods, getting here is quite a journey, but ooohh so worth it. It’s on the way to nowhere, you have to pay to get through the gate at Katahdin Iron Works, pay a daily access fee, and daily camping fee. Note: If you are planning to backpack on the AT from this location, the pricing is very different, so be sure to ask!

Quiet, Spacious, Lots of Amenities

While we don’t usually stay in private campgrounds due to their high cost, the price was reasonable for the quality of this campground and amenities provided. We were in need of a shower and a place for the night and this campground was perfectly situated off the highway to Greenville.

Most of the sites are designed for larger RVs with full hook-ups, but they have just a handful of simple tent/small camper sites without services, which is exactly what we needed.   Just a picnic table and fire ring and some privacy and we were happy campers.

The shower house was newly remodeled and very clean, as was the laundry facility with dishwashing/utility sink. The campground has access to over 1000 miles of trails, which are designed for ATV’s. They even have an ATV washing station. While it was not open in late September, the campground offers a nice pool, game room for the kids of all ages, a small camp store, and even has a snack bar and ice cream counter.  And, if you are seeking some amazing hiking, it's relatively close to Borestone Mountain and sections of the Appalachian Trail.

The young husband and wife team who own/run the place are very sweet folks who seem to really pay attention to the needs of their customers.  For instance, they recently spent a good deal of money on high speed wifi because that is what their customers said they wanted.  We didn't need it, so can't comment on its quality, but it's there if you do.

Great sites and super convenient

My wife and I went up during Columbus Day weekend for some fall fishing and leaf peeping. We had a tent site that had tons of room. Camp store was great. Camp is just outside of Greenville so it’s super easy to go into town if you forgot anything. The only thing I wasn’t a fan of was I could hear the road noise from rt.6. In my opinion if I’m headed up to moosehead I would want to camp in the middle of the woods. But overall we had a great time.

Breathtakingly beautiful lake

This was the second of four huts on Maine Huts and Trails network of trails and it is situated very close to a gorgeous lake. The fall colors were at peak when we were there. I had never heard of Maine Huts and Trails (a small non-profit organization) and likely would not have if we had not traveled with an organized group for a three-day hut to hut experience. Although they are called huts, I would call them lodges. There is a large main area with showers, compostable toilets, a kitchen, and shared dining and living room space. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy. There are no electrical outlets or cell service, so you are off the grid.

The bunkhouses are shared and each one accommodates up to eight people.

When it is open and staffed, meals are provided, and the food is good. Dietary needs are taken into account.

Now for the bad news: One of the four huts (Poplar Stream) has already temporarily closed and all the huts are in jeopardy of not operating during the winter due to a severe financial shortfall. The catch 22 is that they likely do not have money for advertising so very few people know about them. I’m hopeful that by spreading the word on The Dyrt, more people will discover how beautiful they are, become members, donate to them, volunteer, and/or hopefully enjoy time spent in one of the huts.

Nice campground!

This is a huge campground with very nice wooded spots! We stayed on a Friday night and there weren’t many people. The bathrooms and showers are nice as well. The campground has a trail to the beach of the lake! Many trails are available in the park too.

Great place

Perfect basecamp for outdoor adventures. Sites are very large. Facilities are very clean and cleaned daily. It was very quiet the 3 nights we were there (but it was also after Labor Day). Lakefront sites have gorgeous views. We saw loons and bald eagles on the lake daily. There is cell service for both Verizon & AT&T. The market right outside the campground entrance has just about everything you might need. We will definitely be back.

Great place

Sites are very large and spacious. You are not on top of the next one. Facilities are bright and clean. Every site has its own "fire box" with cooking grate. There is no "general store" but just outside the entrance to the campground is a gas station/general store which has everything from deli meats to hardware. The sites along Flaggstaff Lake have some spectacular views.

Family Tradition

This place is awesome. Our family loves Cathedral Pines. We have been coming here every summer since I was a kid. They have a great water front, playground, and an area add (which we could only go to once we earned our $1 a day). It’s also close to pines market where you can walk, ride your bike, or drive to pick up some snacks and other camping essentials!

Very nice, quiet, clean park

This place is excellent! The staff are friendly, the park is quiet, clean, well maintained and spacious. If you are planning on staying around Bangor, this is the place!

Small and Quiet

We stayed here 8/24-8/26/2019 Nice small campground with the lake and lake side camping available No WiFi or cable hook up and sewer hooks are limited but we liked it

Best small campground I've been to in 18 years.

Clean,quiet,very well taken care of,great staff,very helpful,huge sites,absolutely loved this place!

Little tight but we got it solo

We really enjoyed staying here since we were rafting with them the next day. Cheap spots right next to the river. It was also right off the high way so we heard trucks all night, but I found it pretty reasonable. The sites are all pretty together in a open field, which was okay for us since we were the only ones there but might be hard if fully booked. I think this would be great for a big family or group because it would all be close together. They supplied all the sites with bottle/can and trash cans. We got a spot right under a nice crab apple tree and enjoyed our time there. A little older but still a great place. Very nice, friendly owners!

Little tight but we got it solo

Excellent place with lots of special details

I will say that my preferred camp site is one that is heavily wooded, where I can hardly see my neighbors and where I have some view of something impressively beautiful. I have a small camper and two young kids so on long camp trips I appreciate a place with RV hook-ups. This place may not offer a heavily wooded area where I can't see my neighbors but it makes up for it for everything else it offers. It's right on the ocean, it has gardens and secret nooks where you can sit and make a fire. It has a beautiful art studio. It has a play room and play ground that kept my children entertained for hours so I could read. The other campers were so pleasant that I had no issues with being close to them. I had the lobster dinner they offered and it was excellent. I will come back again.

Beautiful location

This campground has a gorgeous view of the lake. A great place to fish for bass and yellow perch. The campground was very rustic and quiet. Bathroom electrical outlet did not work. The Owner was extremely pleasant and helpful. A lot of water activities available for families. A very nice place to go to relax.

Fantastic family camping!

We had so much fun at this campground. So many many things to do for kids. The swimming pool was awesome as well as the water slides. The fireworks on July 4th could match Disney World! Wonderful place to camp!

Great place

Really nice campground. Friendly group of people.

Excellent Campground

This place quiet , clean , nice private campsites. Lots of things to do in the area such as swimming, fishing , hiking and mountain biking that we enjoyed. Our son enjoyed golfing just up the road on Sugarloaf. Saw various wildlife like moose and deer. We really are enjoying our stay here!

Family Fun!

Beaver Brook in Monmouth Maine is a must stay if you have kids from babies to teens. Our family has been going annually for the last five years. We meet up with a couple Moms and their children who we don’t get to see too often and make it a “girls and kids” trip and have a blast making memories and gives us moms a well deserved break. This year we opted for a small group site with a centrally located fire pit and spent our days in the lake, pool, or just hanging out while our kids (ranging from 8-12) rode their bikes, made friends at the playground or participated in the activities that the camp had to offer. Sites are all big with plenty of room between the sites for the perfect amount of privacy. Hook ups for water/electric/sewer but also tons of tent sites too. Staff is friendly and helpful, kids loved the big red and blue slides at the pool, restaurant, ice cream and store all in the same area.

For parents; live entertainment with local bands on Saturday nights, an adult only swim nightly. (Playground is close enough to the pool to actually enjoy this while listening to my kids play), candy bar bingo (where you can play bingo WITH your kids and was quite fun) and just a nice atmosphere all around between all the other families there.

Will definitely be back next year!

Great campsite

My daughter and I stayed there last Friday night and shared the site with some wonderful people. Site was quiet and really felt like one was “in” the Maine woods. 4 platforms and a privy. “Water source” for the site had dried up when we got there but there was just enough flow on a spring that crossed the trail about 100 ft north of the site. Beautiful! 4 out of 5 only because the privy seat was “dirty” if you will, but not full. Awesome weekend! Thank you MATC.

So close you can hear the river at night

We stayed late July for 3 nights during the week. Our site was right next to the river and was fantastic. Ellis pond and Webb lake were close and great to take to canoe out. Worth the trip up to rangeley roughly 40 miles from the camp. Overall great stay.

Best we have found!

This place is not your typical campground much more special.

We are full time RV’rs and have stayed at lots of campgrounds but this place holds a special place in our hearts. The people working are the perfect compliment to a beautiful location. We have stayed a number of times and it is like seeing old friends when we return.

Nice hiking trails around the property that out dog just loves. Often there are artists and musicians at events or giving some kind of lessons. If your looking for a place to stay that is not like a national chain, you have found it! Enjoy!

Wonderful remote camping area

Family run campground. Clean and well cared for. Great for kids.

Amazing in all aspects!

Nestled in western Maine just past Sugarloaf ski mountain lies Cathedral Pines. When you arrive you will appreciate the name. Running alongside beautiful Flagstaff lake this campsite offers something for everyone. Beautiful sunrises over the Bigelow mountains, hikes along the Appalachian Trail, bike trails, kayaking, canoeing, swimming , fishing and the ability to just huddle around the fire with a book! You can even take a short drive to the Canadian border or visit the numerous antique shops along the way in town.

There is a kids activity center where planned activities are always a hit. There is even an arcade for the kids if weather is bad. Spacious sites, some with power and water and some without. A winding maze of paved roads intertwine thru the woods. Perfect for the kids and adults alike to bike!

I am partial to waterfront sites because I love being the first up to start coffee and watch the sun rise and morning break. I've also stayed inside the campground more away from the water and have no complaints. All the facilities are meticulously cleaned and the staff are amazing!

Every year when the few families we camp with get together to pick our campgrounds and dates, it's always when are we going to Cat Pines, not will we go.

Wonderful Staff

The staff is very nice and helpful. The sites are level but the campground is in a hill. There is lots of room for kids to play.

Convenient and close to home

This campground is small family owned. The owners are outgoing and nice. The store offers handmade craft items with awesome prices and a small selection of take out foods. And ice cream. Again prices are reasonable. Activities are listed on the board and are fun. Variety of RV sites. Waterfront are our favorite. Play area for kids.

Very nice campground, staff are friendly. Has things to do for all ages. Big campground with lots of sites. We will definitely come back again.

Tumbledown!!

Great park! Nice sites. Great Lake!can rent canoes and kayaks. Great swimming. Beach to rest and picnic. Clean bathrooms. Kids movie in outside amphitheater. Junior ranger program. The hike up to the lake is amazing!!